Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Washing Pellets
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:40 am 

Hi I just like to know what kind of recipies are out there for washing and cleaning :?: your pellets.
Oh one more thing; what are the before and after results of washing your pellets :?:
Please let me know
Thanks Guys
Baigio26 :idea:

Post subject: Re: Washing Pellets
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:45 am 

I have washed them with a bit of dish washing liquid and rinsed them in a strainer then dry them on some paper towel.
The only result was I didn't get my fingers dirty.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:10 am 

Plasticman wrote:
I have washed them with a bit of dish washing liquid and rinsed them in a strainer then dry them on some paper towel.
The only result was I didn't get my fingers dirty.

only that ,is a good thing,

so that mean less dirt on the barrel too,

target man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:14 am 

Hands can and should be washed (frequently), and barrels can be cleaned (infrequently). So if washing pellets serves only to clean them, then perhaps there is more danger to damaging the skirts, expecially with soft pellets like daisys that are the dirtiest ones I have used. I washed a few tins, I believe one of Daisy wads and one of Hobbys, noticed no difference in groups through my Win 500, but it isn't the best rifle in my cabinet. Anyhow, I concluded it was a waste of time for me... but if you're a serious competitor and patient and careful, washing could be of benefit to you some how. To the average "duke", probably not!

Duke ))))----//----------==

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:04 pm 

I go along with Dukemeister on this topic. Washing your hands will do the trick and you'll have to wash them anyway as lead is lead! If lead dust is the main concern then you could purchase non-lead pellets or copper coated ones etc. Some pellets come lubed and or you can lube them yourself to keep lead dust to a minimum.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:38 pm 

I only wash pellets if they need it and for competition in FT matches.

I wash Crosman Premiers because they are very dirty and then I lube them with Krytek wax. This cuts the necessity for cleaning of the barrel by quite a bit, increases velocity and they are more accurate. I use Simple green in a sonic cleaner for a very short period of time (30 sec), rinse them with hot water, dry them with a hair dryer and then lube them by rolling them across a paper towel with the wax smeared very thinly on it. This gets the lube only on the parts of the pellet that touch the inside of the barrel. I do this in lots of about 100 pellets at a time.

JSB pellets are quite clean and have a coating on them out of the tin. I found no difference in accuracy between washes and lubed JSB pellets and pellets right out of the tin. So I do not do anything to the JSBs except batch them by weight for competition.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:30 am 

H&N sells pellets meant for competition use wich are very clean, some of them are lubed/coated too. I`d probably buy these prelubed quality pellets if i ever would feel the need for lubed pellets.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:45 am 

I do not wash my pellets, nor do I shoot in competitions, but I always give the top of my new pellet tins a quick blast of RemOil to stop them from oxidizing. I opened an old tin of Caladonians that was at my parents place and it was full of white chalk from oxidation, RemOil seemed to bring them back to shootable quality.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:12 pm 

Ok Guys. It seems like there is no real benifit of washing pellets. The lead dust thing, is no problem for me. Man when I was a kid on the farm, I use to keep my pellets in my mouth, I even chewed on them. I'm still fine, no worries there.

It seems to be only a hipe about almost nothing, I shoot RWS 8.2 grain pellets, and I have not noticed one bit of difference between washed or not. I lube them, with a little Pelligun oil but that's it. Thanks guys, I think I got my answer, no more wawshing for me.

Shoot FT and enjoy it