Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:14 am 

I recently purchased a pair of used Varga pistol shooting glasses from v76 (THANKS dude!), and have been tweaking them to suit me. The most significant thing I've done was to make a new left eye shield, as the one it came with was a big thing with a side-shield fold in the plastic and a) that doesn't suit me at all, and b) I'm fairly certain it was much too large for ISSF rules anyway. I've got this nifty frosted plastic from a chocolates box someone gave me around Christmas, really amazingly tough stuff with lots of light transmission but no image at all, perfect for an eye shield. But I've been frustrated still, as with the +1 reading glass lens I fitted into the round frame in front of the iris (the one it came with wasn't at all suitable for my right eye) isn't nearly strong enough for closer viewing than the front sight, which is as it should be. I need about a +2 reading lens for seeing pellets and scoring targets clearly.

Swapping glasses is of course an option, and that's what I've been doing, but it's annoying to have to switch them on every target when shooting for score and there's the concern about placement not quite matching from target-to-target, causing changes in alignment with the eye. So I thought about it, and came up with a nice little solution. Very little. I had an old broken pair of +2 glasses kicking around, plastic lenses and in decent shape in terms of scratching. I used a hole borer in my drill press to slowly, with interruptions, bore out a 5/16" piece. Actually took me two tries to get it right as the first one I messed up, kind of melted it around the edges when hurrying too much. The plastic melted VERY easily. Second time around I got a neat little circle a couple of millimetres thick.

I filed that by hand until it looked like a very clean circle, then filed a small bevel around both faces. Next I used a tiny jeweller's rat tail file tip to lightly cut in a recess around the middle of that circle... actually a bit to one side of middle, as I wanted it a bit closer to flush on the front side. I tracked around again a few times with this small file until the depression was deep enough, then using a brad point drill bored a hole in the bottom end of my eye shield. Trimmed that slightly with a razor knife, hit it with a lighter for a second to melt the 'hairs' of plastic, then popped my new lens into the hole. Here's the result. I can check skirts for damage while loading, and even if I'm not being that fussy (not shooting for score) I can easily see whether the pellets are the right way around.
Attachment:
eye_shield_reading_lens_insert.jpg
eye_shield_reading_lens_insert.jpg [ 65.88 KiB | Viewed 1031 times ]

Attachment:
eye_shield_reading_lens_insert_side.jpg
eye_shield_reading_lens_insert_side.jpg [ 32.74 KiB | Viewed 1031 times ]

I wonder if anyone's done this before? Anyway, if anyone wants to try something like this I highly recommend it, as for someone with a need for reading glasses which don't match the sighting radius - which for me is 41" from my eye, where I tend to read at about 24" - it's a mod which works like a charm. Took very little effort to get used to looking a bit downwards to see things clearly. No more moving pellets around to catch the light and see if they're in my fingers backwards. No more squashed skirts sneaking by.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:41 pm 

I use a bifocal glasses for shooting for just that reason.
Otherwise, I can't see stuff on the shooting bench w/o lifting the glassed up.
But I have an "odd" combo of prescriptions.
Left - distant/reading (This is so I can walk around w/o falling over things. I shield this lens when I shoot.)
Right - front sight/reading (this is my aiming eye)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:29 pm 

Well done GerardSamija
Another member of this forum (under500fps) once recommended a good article: "old shooters never die" http://www.muzzleblasts.com/archives/vo ... 46-5.shtml
I checked and it is still there.

I am likely one of the oldest shooter on this board!
As it was suggested I started using a piece of card board with a 1/8 pin hole over the shooting eye in my regular trifocal glasses.
That really works well, making it easier to focus on the two sites and the target.
Eventually I realized that the target does not have to be in perfect focus, just the front sight, bracketed by the rear sight opening.

Actually I found that my eyes improved with the practice of shooting. Better muscle tone, I guess.

Air Pistols: Baikal IZH46M; Webley Alecto .22; Umarex Beretta 92FS; Umarex Colt 1911A1;

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:48 am 

Hi Beretto. Your link probably still worked at your end, but when posted in the thread it ended at http://www.muzzleblasts.com/archives/vo and then showed ... 46-5.shtml. When clicked it takes me to a 'deprecated link' page on that site. I used Google to do a muzzleblasts.com site search and found this link:
http://www.muzzleblasts.com/archives/vo ... 46-5.shtml
Perhaps it'll work when I post it. Thanks for that; some reading to do before I crash after a long day out with my little boy.

I turn 50 this coming November. Not old exactly, but getting there. My eyes 'went' at about the same time as they did for both my parents, around 46, and I've been using reading glasses a lot since then. I made a few different kydex irises to fit to a low-diopter pair of reading glasses, with a frosted clip-on shield on the other eye, and used that setup until this month when the Vargas arrived. The reading glasses were sort of adequate, but there was a bit of distortion compared to using a properly aligned shooting lens frame. I'm going to get a proper eye exam by a local guy who does glasses for shooters regularly, then he can make me the proper hardened glass lens to replace the plastic one I fitted.

Just yesterday I went back to using the widest front sight on my 46m, bringing the gap on either side down to just a slim glimmer of light. I found it immediately easier to get the front sight aligned under the black circle, not so much guessing as to the relative gap dimensions on either side. I've read that Don Nygord and some others have recommended about 1/4 of the rear sight width should be gap on either side of the front sight. I've given that mode a fair trial for a couple of months, and no, it's not for me. Back to the close fit I used to use with my Gamo Center and then when starting out with the 46m, back when my scores kept going up all the time. Of course some time off from shooting in June didn't help, but little things like glasses and sights being just right make a huge difference.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:44 am 

Good that you found the correct link. I tried all the different sights on my 46M, but still unclear which is the best for me.
I will be back home from Europe in a couple months and plan to get new glasses and maybe even cataract work done.
All going well, plan to shoot at the Canadian Airgun Grand Prix, again, in February 2012.

Air Pistols: Baikal IZH46M; Webley Alecto .22; Umarex Beretta 92FS; Umarex Colt 1911A1;

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:08 pm 

GS
I use polycarbonate (PC) lens in my shooting glasses. PC is significantly lighter than glass. And you do not need the off angle viewing advantage of glass for shooting glasses. Well I also shoot powder burners, so I wanted the protection of PC.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:09 pm 

Well I won't be shooting anything explosive, ever, so not really a worry for me. I get you on the off-angle thing not being so relevant, but I'm more concerned about scratching. No matter the plastic, it always seems to get just a bit foggy from cleaning after a time. I only use very clean micro-fibre cloths for this but still... I guess tiny hard particles get stuck on the lenses and I wipe those around when cleaning. I'd get gorilla glass if I could. Hope that becomes more readily applicable soon. Already it's showing fantastic strength in tablet computers and phone screens.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:43 pm 

GS
Lack of scratches is my 2nd reason for liking glass lens over plastic.
Like you I would get a plastic lens scratched and I could not figure out how it got scratched. Kind of like a scratch gremlin did it in the night.
My optician told me to rinse then wash under RUNNING water with a mild liquid soap and use your fingers, this gets rid of the particles w/o scratching. And dry the lens by "dabbing" the lens with a dry cloth, NOT wiping it. So now w a plastic lens, I "try" not to clean using a dry cloth any more, even the fancy microfiber lens cloth.

PS they have anti-scratch coating, and I have it on my lenses, but I don't rely on that to keep the lens from scratching.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:29 am 

Well there you go. I just don't have the patience to wash lenses every time they get a smudge on them. Suppose some folks must have it, but I don't. Glasses are just another tool, like any of a thousand I use. If they're not up for the job, they'll be replaced. The optician I'm going to visit soon says he has no problem providing chemically hardened glass for a shooting lens, and I'm satisfied that'll be more durable than plastic. Of course glass can scratch too but not with reasonably care.