Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Airforce Talon
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:45 pm 

Hi guys, I like to know if anybody can tell me what the Airforce Talon is like.
I've been interested in this gun for a while now. If anyone have any specifics about this gun please let me know
thanks
Sonny

Post subject: Re: Airforce Talon
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:24 am 

have you looked at pyramid air,s "Airgun Reporter with Paul Cappello" episode #9 ?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:16 pm 

I'm a HUGE fan. Ultra-reliable, accurate and beautifully simple. It also fits me like a glove, which is important. I was initially put off by it's paramilitary looks because I'm a conservative old-school hunter, but it now looks real purdy to me!

It's become my go-to gun. The platform is also modular, and extremely versatile.

I

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:49 pm 

Since this is in the field target section, is field target the intended use of the gun? I have not seen one used in FT, which is not to say it cannot be used, but here are probably better choices that would even be cheaper. The new Hatsuns come to mind.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:55 pm 

It's a great hunter/plinker, but I would not use it for FT. Your S200 is a better bet for FT. But if you "need" another gun (who doesn't :wink: ) it would make a fine addition to your collection.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:42 am 

just wondering why the talon is not good for field target shooting?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:20 am 

joe hickey wrote:

I had a Condor and it was a Ft/Lb issue. I bought a Co2 adaptor to reduce the ft/lb energy but never got involved due to the distance I have to drive to a match.

Also past experience with my Condor was it was grip and hold sensitive so FT accuracy was hard to achieve consistently.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:07 pm 

joe hickey wrote:

I had a Talon and just could not get comfortable holding it in FT position. If someone was shooting hunter class from a mono-pod, while sitting on a stool, it may be more appropriate.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:36 pm 

Again, my two cents worth and I don't know what I'm talking about in FT. However, I've heard enough about the Talon being "non-ergonomic" that it must be true and I accept that. I personally find it extremely comfortable, but I'm sure that's because I have short arms and stock-crawl. I have a 24" draw with a compound bow, and have to lop off anywhere from 1 to 2 inches off any stock I get on a rifle so I can shoot comfortably.

I don't, however, find it hold sensitive - much less so than any other airgun I've ever shot. But not having shot an AirArms or other upper level FT gun, I'll not say anything categorical here.

I've heard from many guys who shoot FT that it's the fit thing that is the drawback to the Talon in field. However, it certainly is a star in other areas - I can think of no other gun I'd rather carry in the field.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:57 am 

Ok guys, I'm looking for a PCP Air rifle with a synthetic stock due to the wonderful weather we have hear on the West Coast. So any advice. I though the Talon would be a good choice because you have a variable speed selection that you can turn down to 600fps. That was the biggest reason, I looked at it. The only other gun that I though will do is the Hamerli Pneuma Elite. If any one can advise me to a sub 1000fps or over 600fps synthetic gun that is really good; Please let me know

Thanks guys appreciate all the help

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:32 am 

Biagio26 wrote:
Ok guys, I'm looking for a PCP Air rifle with a synthetic stock due to the wonderful weather we have hear on the West Coast. So any advice. I though the Talon would be a good choice because you have a variable speed selection that you can turn down to 600fps. That was the biggest reason, I looked at it. The only other gun that I though will do is the Hamerli Pneuma Elite. If any one can advise me to a sub 1000fps or over 600fps synthetic gun that is really good; Please let me know

Thanks guys appreciate all the help

Whats your budget for the gun? and whats your budget for everything you will need? scope, fill clamp, rings etc,etc...

Second what is your intended use(s) for the gun? I am guessing you would like to be able to use it in FT?

It will come down to what you want to spend...you could go with a FX Royale 400 in Synthetic stock $1295
http://www.trail-marker.com/store/index ... 1902&c=275

Or a Walther Dominator $699
http://www.trail-marker.com/store/index ... -2013&c=83

Or as you stated a Hammerli Pneuma Elite 10 $379
http://www.trail-marker.com/store/index ... -1015&c=73

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:38 pm 

Hi
Thank you
I was thinking about the Pneuma, because it is fairly inexpensive. Scopes, and all other accessories is no problem for me. I was just thinking of a lighter rifle that I can shoot in our rainy weather here on the West Coast and do not worry about my stock getting ruined.

I think the Pneuma is a fair value for the price. I have looked at some of it's review and I must say I like the gun. Please advise anyone with experience with this gun.
I'm fairly new in FT and i'm not 100% sure what to expect in shooting different air rifles.

Myself I only have 2 air rifles, the AA S200 sporter and a Diana model 48.

Thanks alot for all the help
Biagio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:43 am 

I own a .177 cal Pneuma and I must say it is great value for the money. As for field target use it is heavy especially scoped. They require some polishing and deburring, but are fine from the factory until you gain enough nerve to take it apart. As with any pcp the refill gear is quite an added expense. Plus they are not power adjustable. And personally I like the single shot rather than the 10 shot repeater. Easier on pellet,s and air.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:58 am 

Biaggio, also look at the Hammerli AR20 FT, if you want a purpose built FT rifle.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:29 am 

Thanks Old Van
I looked at the Hamerli AR20, it looks like a grat rifle; the only thing is, it is a little pricy. Remember, mt most expensive air rifle I own is a AA S200

I still think there must be a rifle out there for me that is reasonably priced that is synthetic and is accurate.

Thanks for all the help guys
Baigio