Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: micro-meter tank
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:22 pm 

Given the fact that the Talon is ergonomic for an individual, and would therefore be usable in FT, would the micro-meter Talon tank be useful in controlling velocities so that ideal pellet/weight/velocity could be achieved in this discipline? I understand that this tank allows much better control of lower velocities than setting the thumbwheel on the lowest numbers.

I would appreciate comment because I'm really getting interested in the FT - it seems to be a lot like the 3D/Field Archery thing I enjoyed so much before I lost my right eye.

I should ask, as well, what the ideal weight/pellet/velocity configuration is for knocking down targets in .177? I'd like to start tuning my Talon now, because until I can afford a better FT tool next year, it's all I've got that will be suitable.

Post subject: Re: micro-meter tank
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:31 pm 

There are several catagories in FT in Canada, a Springer class (self explanatory), Hunter (no adjustable stocks, maximum 16X scope, no "rangefinding" allowed, 20 FPE maximum), International (12 FPE maximum) and Open (20 FPE maximum).... and sometimes a non-PAL as well....

For the 20 FPE classes, the most popular setup is a .177 shooting 10.2 to 10.6 gr. round nose pellets at around 900 fps.... close to but under the 20 FPE limit and then adjusted for the most accurate velocity for your best pellet.... Typical pellets are JSB Exact Heavy, Crosman Premier Heavy (brown box), and H&N Baracuda (Beeman Kodiak)....

For the 12 FPE classes, the most popular setup is a .177 shooting, most likely, the 8.4 gr. JSB Exact at around 800 fps, providing that is accurate in your gun.... Otherwise, one of the other round nose pellets, such as JSB Express, Crosman Premier Light (brown box), H&N Field Target Trophy, etc....

Accuracy is the primary concern, with a great BC right behind.... at near the maximum power for the class....

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:50 pm 

Thanks so much Bob. Terrific info that I needed! :D

When talking about no adjustable stocks, does that mean that the stock cannot be adjusted during the match, or that it may not even have the potential to be adjusted - ie would I have to epoxy my settings on my wokkbutt permanently?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:27 am 

I should also point out that those velocity figures that you gave me, Bob, also preclude the micro-meter tank. Won't work 'cause the velocities will be too low, somewhere in the 500 to 600 range. So thanks again! :D