Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Weihrauch HW97 KT
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:03 pm 

Hi Guys
What do you guys think of the Weihrauch HW97 KT for a FT gun.

I think it is a great gun espacially in the .22 cal. :tonqe:

Please tell me what you guys like and dislike about the gun, I think I must buy one right now though.

:mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: Weihrauch HW97 KT
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:19 pm 

I think the HW97KT would make an excellent FT gun for piston or hunter devision. I have the laminate stocked HW97 and I love it. It's Rekord trigger unit is great and it is very accurate. I also find it's heavy weight keeps me steadier in the sitting FT position. The thumbhole stock would likely be even nicer to handle. If you plan on using it as an FT gun then .177 cal is usually best. (flatter trajectory) For piston devision FT you can't beat an HW or TX. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:31 pm 

Great gun, but as suggested, the .177 is more appropriate for FT. The .22 would have a loopy trajectory in comparison. Also .25" kill zones and .22 cal pellets makes for some real challenge.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:15 pm 

Depending on your style you may dislike the thumbhole stock for shooting seated. I find my wrist lies at an angle more natural to grasping a traditional "sporter" style stock than a pistol-style grip while seated.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:42 pm 

Thanks Guys

I see Beeman makes one in synthetic, I would like one of those.I have not even seen one in Canada. Is there a reason for not being available in Canada??

Thanks
Biagio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:36 pm 

Beeman does not make anything, they put their name on things and charge extra for it. Personally, I do not own anything Beeman and probably never will.

Maybe it is just me, but I like the feel of wood. Something else to consider would be the fact that if you jump into FT with it and really like the sport, you may end up buying an aftermarket FT stock for it anyway. I have FT stocks on both of my TX200s and have only shot in the springer class once with one of them. I will get round to using them.

Just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:08 pm 

Hey Mac
What do you think of the AA TX200 it's about the same price. I wonder if that wouldn't be a better gun to buy than the Weihrauch. It seems to be a nicer one. :D

One more thing what is the dieffernce between the Mark 3 and the Carbine models? If you know please let mw know
Thanks for all the help guys
Sonny :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:31 pm 

Mac wrote:
Beeman does not make anything, they put their name on things and charge extra for it. Personally, I do not own anything Beeman and probably never will.

Maybe it is just me, but I like the feel of wood. Something else to consider would be the fact that if you jump into FT with it and really like the sport, you may end up buying an aftermarket FT stock for it anyway. I have FT stocks on both of my TX200s and have only shot in the springer class once with one of them. I will get round to using them.

Just my 2 cents.

X2

The bad of the HW97, a bit heavy but like Plinker said it steadies you in the seating position.

Everything else is great about the gun, Like many have said buy the .177 for FT and .22 if you want to hunt with it.

Weather you buy the 97 or the TX, you can't go wrong with either choice, both are great.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:05 am 

Biagio26 wrote:
Hey Mac
What do you think of the AA TX200 it's about the same price. I wonder if that wouldn't be a better gun to buy than the Weihrauch. It seems to be a nicer one. :D

One more thing what is the dieffernce between the Mark 3 and the Carbine models? If you know please let mw know
Thanks for all the help guys
Sonny :mrgreen:

I have shot both guns and own two TX200s, but do not own an HW97, so you know which one I prefer. Not a criticism of the HW97, its just the way I went. The Mk3 is the newest version and the HC (Hunter Carbine) is usually also a MK3, but the carbine version. My first TX is a MK2 and the other is a MK3 HC. For FT, I have used the MK2. I find the HC more hold sensitive compared to the longer version. I got a good deal on the HC, plus it is in .20 cal, the only one I know of, so I bought it.

I would buy a regular MK3 as opposed to the HC, since my main interest is field target and maximum accuracy.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:29 am 

I've owned both, and I liked the HW97K more than the TX200, but just because it had more character. If you want clinical precision right out of the box then the TX200 is the one. I upgraded my HW97K with a V-Glide kit and there was no difference between the two rifles after that. The TX200 is a gentleman, and the HW97K is teutonic.

These two rifles are probably the best spring guns for FT. The South African Springer champ exclusivily shoots a HW97K with modified stock.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:31 pm 

Thanks guys, I think I'm going for the MK3 TX200 I like the checkring on the forearm and on the grip. The gun seems to be very nice, I I've hanv'nt heard a bad thing about that gun. I bought a MEC Optisan scope, that will be perfect for that gun. I see SSS
have it on sale for $599

Hope to see Old Van at the range at the end of the Month. It should be a great shoot, can't wait. Hoop jy gaan daar wees Deon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:25 pm 

Biagio26 wrote:
Hope to see Old Van at the range at the end of the Month. It should be a great shoot, can't wait. Hoop jy gaan daar wees Deon

I should be there. The only reason I missed the last shoot was because I played good samaritan on the morning of the shoot. I helped my neighbor with his dad who had a stroke as I was about to leave for the range.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:17 pm 

Isn't this rifle well over the 12 ft/lb limit? Do people shoot them as is or are there specific detuning techniques for FT?

CFSC/CRFSC Instructor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:14 am 

dhb wrote:
Isn't this rifle well over the 12 ft/lb limit? Do people shoot them as is or are there specific detuning techniques for FT?

We have two limits in Canadian FT. In the Open Piston, the gun can shoot up to 20 ft/lb, but typically will not exceed about 15 ft/lb.

In the WFTF Piston there is a 12 ft/lb limit.

So to answer your question, one can shoot the gun as it comes or de-tune to below 12 ft/lb.

My TX200 MkII was shooting over 900fps with 8.4 gr pellets when I bought it and had been used in FT that way for over 10 years. I shot it that way for a short time and then tuned it down to just below 12 ft/lb. For me, it made a huge difference in the shot cycle and my ability to shoot it accurately also improved.

I have an American friend who shoots a TX at just over 13 ft/lb and has had great success in their piston class, typically against guys shooting 15 ft/lb.

So, you have a choice. If you like high power, you can shoot it that way. If you like the tamer shooting cycle, getting it down to around 12 ft/lb might be the way to go. As a FT shooter, my gun will stay below the 12 ft/lb limit.

Another thing that we have seen happening is that the sub 12 ft/lb shooters are scoring very close to the people shooting high power in both piston and PCP, At the US Nationals this past weekend, the high power champ only shot one point above the 12 ft/lb champ in PCP.

It is just personal preference in the end. Nice to have the choice.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:44 am 

Ok, One question, how do I de-tune my TX200
I bought one about 5 weeks ago
I tried to get my zero at 25y, man is this gun fast; over 950ft/s with a 8.5gr pellet.

Please give me any advise how to detune this gun, I think around 800 - 850 ft/s is the butter zone. :D

thanks for any help :mrgreen:

Biagio :lol: