Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:36 pm 

Does anyone have the CFO's rules/regulations?

CFSC/CRFSC Instructor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:56 pm 

They are so new, the website probably has not been updated yet. As far as I know, the guidelines now available were from 2009.

I sent them my proposal for FT Guidelines and our club was approved in accordance with those guidelines, so I assume they will be very close to what I sent in.

See below:

Suggested Guidelines for Air Gun Field Target Ranges

A) Air Gun Power Limit

All air guns must have muzzle energy of 20 foot-pounds or less. A chronograph will be present at all matches to check the power of the air guns.

B) Course Guidelines

1) A man made or natural barrier is needed with a minimum height of 3.0 m for firing distances of 25 m or less and a minimum height of 4.0 m for firing distances up to 50 m.
Or

2) A fallout zone of not less than 600 meters from the firing line, in the direction of the shot, is required for safety.

3) A lateral deflection safety Zone of not less than 100M on both sides of the range is needed if a lateral barrier is not present.

4) In the case of inclines or other natural obstructions, a shorter fallout distance may be approved on a case-by-case basis.

5) A signed land use agreement letter from a bordering landowner is needed if the fallout zone extends onto their property.

There was also a range template I sent that showed the dimensions mentioned above. 600M from firing line, 100M on each side of actual range.

Also, all lanes must be numbered at the firing line and the end of the lane also marked with a stake or something similar. We painted out stakes orange so they could be seen.

Signs must be put up with the range rules on them and a red flag of the proper dimensions should be displayed when the range is in use. One sign was on the sight-in range and another at the start of the FT course.

A first aid kit should also be on the course when in use.

Our range rules are below:

AIR GUN RANGE SAFETY RULES

1. Control muzzle at all times.
2. On the shooting ranges, eye protection must be worn by shooters and spectators.
3. Shoot from designated stations only.
4. Guns must be unloaded and made safe except for the person shooting.
5. Unload gun and make it safe before leaving station.
6. Ammunition restriction: No larger than .22 caliber pellets.
7. Any shooter who is not a member of the Ontario Federation of Anglers & Hunters must sign a waiver form.
8. A licensed shooter must accompany a non-licensed shooter.
9. All pellets must be entirely made of lead or lead alloy. BBs will not be allowed on the field target course.
10. All guns must be limited to 20 ft/lb of energy or less at the muzzle.

The mention of OFAH in our rules has to do with insurance. Members of OFAH are covered at these events, but we are not sure about those who are not members.

Hope this helps

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:24 pm 

With those backstop heights it would seem that you're almost limited to an approved shooting range! I'm surprised the CFO doesn't want the metal targets enclosed in wooden shrouds (or should I not have said that out loud?).

CFSC/CRFSC Instructor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:15 pm 

There are a lot of places with 600M fallout area. That is the easiest way to go. No berm necessary at all.

It says the berms OR the fallout zones, not both.