Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:37 pm 

I notice in the rules and regulations for FT that the leading arm may not be supported. Does this mean that I cannot rest my right elbow on my right knee (I shoot left handed) in seated position? I wonder about this because I know that monopods are allowed in the hunter division, and that's almost like a portable bench. :wink:

Is there a series of photographs or diagrams that illustrates the standard positions in FT?

I'm set up for next year's festivities - I've installed a 5x15 Bushnell on my Talon, put the .177 cal barrel back on the frame, and have a new shoulder-rest system that makes it pretty decent to shoot with. It's the best I have until I save up the cash to buy an AA400 specifically and only for FT, probably May or June. No stopgaps or alternatives, this time! The FWB Model 2 has taught me that. So I want to practice now, and would like to know the details of sitting and shootign before I settle in and get used to something that may not be legal.

My intent is to shoot only in the hunter division, and then maybe go into pistol in the following year as well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:37 pm 

I don't see it anywhere in the CAFTA rules? All I see is that the leading HAND may not be supported in the KNEELING position.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:48 pm 

Old Van wrote:
I don't see it anywhere in the CAFTA rules? All I see is that the leading HAND may not be supported in the KNEELING position.

You're right . . . I re-read the rules a couple of nights ago, and asked the question from memory, thinking arm, not hand.

Thanks! The good news then, is that I can get into a very comfortable seated postition with my gun, and can practice it, indoors, on targets at 8 meters! :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:51 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sa7ODrtWMY

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:51 pm 

idontknowjack wrote:

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:26 pm 

moltogordo wrote:
idontknowjack wrote:

Thanks!

That is one of the the most popular sitting positions, the other is with the gun rested directly on the front knee rather than over the arm. With my FWB 300 and TX, I shoot over the arm, but with my pcp guns I shoot off the knee.

Try both and see what works for you.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:01 am 

I will do so. However, when on the 18" chair allowed by the Hunter division, will this position work? It seems designed for International, Unlimited, or certain stations in hunter where it may be asked for and when on a bum bag. What does one use as a standard when up 18" on a chair.

I've tried these positions on the floor and it works - on the chair I find it better to rest my elbow on my thigh.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:59 am 

moltogordo wrote:
What does one use as a standard when up 18" on a chair.

Either elbow rested on thigh, monopod, or bipod.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:00 pm 

Hi, Gord. My first FT, I had a little bucket with a pillow. I found it a little awkward. The guy that was sitting on his a$$ did the best. I think this is because he was anchored to the ground and had his arms firmly around his knees. I am practicing this at home now, and I think butt on the ground is more stable. That you tube vid. helped me alot. I think I will kick eveyones a$$ next time out! :P Ha Ha (not) :D . I will surely try a monopod for standing and kneeling also....Curt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:25 pm 

toyminator wrote:
I will surely try a monopod for standing and kneeling ...

For forced position shots, neither a monopod nor bipod are allowed. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:40 pm 

Ah ya, story of my life! I have a great idea, but then RULES get in my way!!! :axe: I'm going to make a really nice monopod, so that the FT director will feel real bad if he has to tell me that I can't use it!! :P :P :P ...Curt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:27 pm 

Thanks for all of the help, guys! I'd probably sit on my butt, too, but I have terrible knees, so the chair thing will be what I do, except in forced positions.

My excuse is a good one. A lack of talent! :lol: I'm doing it because it's like archery 3D in many ways (which I enjoyed) and the company is, from my point of view, most interesting! :wink:

They cut the difference between the target guys (who are great, but often too serious and neurotic), and the hunters (who are - well, lets not go there! It's too close to home!)

As I have multiple personalities and am psychotic, I think I'll fit in! :mrgreen: , as I fit into the other disciplines! :lol: Besides, like target pistol, the equipment is so cool! 8)