Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:02 am 

I just picked up a Hammerli AR20FT, which as a novice strikes me as a super value for the money. Unfortunately, Umarex is inexplicably selling these in North America with low velocities (listed as 580fps, but I chrono'd mine at 626 with RWS 7.0 grain Hobby pellets). I contacted their tech support and parts are available to bring it to 780fps for 12ft/lb or 1030fps. Should I just go with 780? Will this put me in the category where there are more competitors?

Thanks

CFSC/CRFSC Instructor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:33 am 

dhb wrote:
I just picked up a Hammerli AR20FT, which as a novice strikes me as a super value for the money. Unfortunately, Umarex is inexplicably selling these in North America with low velocities (listed as 580fps, but I chrono'd mine at 626 with RWS 7.0 grain Hobby pellets). I contacted their tech support and parts are available to bring it to 780fps for 12ft/lb or 1030fps. Should I just go with 780? Will this put me in the category where there are more competitors?

Thanks

For the WFTF, 780 would put you very close. It certainly depends on the pellet you use as well.

7.3 gr JSB Rs - 860fps would put you right at 12 ft/lb. I shoot about 845fps
7.9 gr JSB Express - max of 825 and most try to keep it around 810
8.4 gr JSB - max of 802 and most try to keep it at 785 to 790

For 20 ft/lb, you will probably want to go with heavy pellets like the JSB heavy, H&N Baracuda or Crosman Premier heavies.

JSB heavy 10.3 gr- 935 Max and most keep it to 920 or lower. Our Canadian champ shoots them at about 870
Crosman 10.5 gr - 926 max and most keep at 910 or below, with many favouring about 870 because the accuracy is better.
H&N Baracuda 10.3 to 10.6 gr - 921 max for 10.6 gr, so most would tune to a max of about 905fps

The problem with factory numbers is not knowing what pellet they have used to achieve them. I would assume that the 1030fps is an inflated figure found with light pellets that no FT shooter would use.

Looks like a pretty nice rifle. If the kit to change the power was not too expensive, I would get a 12 ft/lb and high power kit to try and then decide which one I want to use for FT. The number of shots increases as the power is turned down, which is another consideration for FT. At 12 ft/lb, most guns will shoot the entire 60 shot match without the need to fill. At full power, many have to refill the gun part way through.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:21 pm 

Helps me, too. Thanks! :D

Post subject: Re: Hunter FT
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:53 am 

New to all this. Is Hunter class single shot and or repeater? I see co2, air and nit? being used for power, is one better than the others? Co2 appears to be a problem in cooler temps. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:27 am 

Hunter can be shot with either a single shot or repeater.
I personally prefer single shot for competitions as you avoid the hassle of loading magazines and removing them from the rifle after each lane.
When I was shooting my S410 I bought a single shot adapter for matches.
I'm currently shooting hunter at about 14fpe which is plenty.
If you set the rifle at under 12fpe you have the option of shooting hunter or international which is something you might want to consider.

Post subject: Re: Hunter FT
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:16 am 

41 mag wrote:
New to all this. Is Hunter class single shot and or repeater? I see co2, air and nit? being used for power, is one better than the others? Co2 appears to be a problem in cooler temps. Thanks.

CO2 definitely has issues in colder temperatures as the power can drop to unusable levels.

Some pcp guns are also affected by temperature and most competitors counteract this by leaving the gun out in the temperature it is going to be used in to have the gun settle. Shooting over a chrony or on the sight-in range to get the velocity or impact points at various distances will allow you to compensate for the drop in temperature and resulting change in velocity.

Some guns actually gain velocity at cool temperatures, before they start to drop in velocity at cold temperature. So you have to know your own gun and what it does at various temperatures. Some forks have different scope charts based on the temperature and a thermometer strip on the gun to read the temperature.

When I started, I just went out and shot; I learned the many other factors to consider as I continued to participate. There are not very many matches where I do not learn at least some small point to help me in future matches. Sometimes I learn from others and sometime things just come to you like a light bulb turning on. Getting better after every match is my goal and sometimes winning is the icing on the cake.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:53 pm 
Admin-2-IC

I like mine a single shot too.
Once I shot with the 10 shots magazine the whole match.
The problem was keeping count how many shots left in the mag.
Single shot ..... no problem .....

I like my power level at 900 fps with 10.5 JSB heavy.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:49 am 

Is the s410 a PCP or a side lever? Looks like a PCP in the couple of add I looked at, but called a side lever.
Maybe just use my Tau 200 to start with, need to chono it first one of these days.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:01 am 

The S410 can be both. It is a PCP but the action can be side lever, not side c**king like a FWB 300 or Wather LGR where you compress a spring or air to power the rifle.

The older 410 had a bolt action and the newer one has a lever that replaced the bolt. The lever is smoother and much easier to operate.