Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:29 pm 

It's amazing what some paint can do to a plain old Air Arms crow target. Too bad they only had a couple left...

CFSC/CRFSC Instructor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:44 pm 

they look real so I will try to kill them on Sunday see you there.

I will be driving a old beat up white ford focus.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:44 am 

Hey DHB.

Can you do me a favor and take a few photos of the linkages and paddle of the Air Arms target. I would like to see how they designed it. Air Gun Source was the first retailer I have seen sell these targets. I like the location of the line pull. It is semi common for lines to get hit. Last match we even had one of the wire leaders shot in two. Generally the return hoop is located directly below the kill zone. So good idea on the Air Arms targets.

Good luck Sunday. Have fun. We are all really excited about what you are doing over there. We mentioned your group specifically during the meeting at the Port Colborne match last Saturday.

Thanks,
Chris

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:22 pm 

Might be worth wearing some blaze orange too guys. It's shotgun season in our wildlife management unit. Hate to sound like a nanny but better safe than sorry.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:14 pm 

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make this time.

Have fun!

Alecto .22
HB22 .22
Norica mod.56 .177

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:48 pm 

I'll be there!

Air Arms FTP900
Air Arms TX200 MK III
CFSC/CRFSC Instructor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:01 pm 

BJP wrote:
I'll be there!

BJP woot your first post nice welcome to the forum. see you in a few hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:19 pm 

Well, on the bright side we had twice as many people come out for our second informal shoot. The weather was perfect, we had five lanes of proper FT targets all laid out and everyone got to sight in their guns. Just as the firing line was called active for the start of the competition, two guys pulled up behind us on 4 wheelers.

Now for the bad part. They were by-law enforcement officers for the county checking out what we were doing and promptly shut us down. It turns out that target shooting isn't permitted in the forest. Hunting is allowed but no other kind of shooting. If we all had shotguns and hunting licences, it wouldn't have been a problem. I pointed out that the graphic of someone shooting on the signage showing permitted activities in the forest does suggest that shooting is ok. The officer explained that that is a picture of a hunter not a target shooter. So much for the limitations of clipart...

We had to pack everything up and drive ten minutes to a local gun club where were we able to set up on a range that luckily wasn't in use. While it wasn't as picturesque as the spot in the forest, we did still get to shoot.

I'll be following up with the county officials to see if we can get a permit to use that location in the future. If anyone is upset about this, please think before you post. The county official who will be deciding on whether we get a permit may be doing his homework online before he makes a decision.

My apologies for the inconvenience, between the signage and knowing that hunting was allowed, I assumed that shooting at targets would be ok. :oops:

Getting back to the bright side -The interest is growing and we have other options for where to set up for next time. Hopefully the mild weather will hold into December and we'll get to try another FT fun shoot.

CFSC/CRFSC Instructor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:41 pm 

Too bad. Something that would have been hard to predict.

I hope that you can get a special permit for this since shooting the airguns at field targets will certainly be much safer than hunting with powder burners and shooting up in the air.

The CFO in Orillia, ON may be of some help to you. Peter Niedermaier, Supervisor - Field Services, Chief Firearms Office is quite familiar with air gun FT and may be able to help.

Good luck in keeping things going and many thanks for your efforts.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:34 pm 

we had fun ... i must admit that it was a bit of an inconveniance to have to moove from our original location as the planted forest made for perfect shooting lanes.

my gf jouned us this time to shoot on the ft targets and she loved it. i had the ocasion to try out a couple of new gun.

thanks to our organisers and all who attended

dasy 953 , ncstar 3-9x42 compact
crosman mk1
crosman quest 500x

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:51 pm 

I'll definitely be following up with the county as that location would be excellent for competitions. You could easily have one with about 15 wide lanes.

I'll also see if the nearby Eastern Ontario Handgun Club would be interested in having a FT section established. If someone who was involved in getting the Ontario CFO to approve the activity could PM me their phone number, it would be handy to have a chat with someone who has been through the process. I was on the EOHC executive (and range operator) for many years and ran the IPSC section when it routinely hosted internationally sanctioned matches, so organizing shooting events is something I'm quite comfortable doing.

I forgot to thank everyone for helping setup and teardown (twice)! A special mention goes out to BJP for the turning crows into penguins. Actual crows would squawk at us periodically (perhaps they were the informers who got us kicked out). I guess Brian deserves a special mention for out shooting everyone (with my gun!).

CFSC/CRFSC Instructor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:36 pm 

It's fantastic to see interest and enjoyment of this pleasant pass-time grow country-wide.
Personally, I think the fun is legislated out of several intrinsic freedoms that we used to rely on being there for future generations to enjoy in our Country, "Strong and free," as it was, and should be.
Sorry to hear that you folks had to relocate.
As Mac said, the C.F.O. mentioned may be able to help. Go there first.
I'm glad to hear about alternate locations otherwise, as long as you persist, there is a chance we may convince the proverbial "powers-that-be" that this sport should be as much fun for people in our Country as it is in MOST other Countries.
You GO, Ottawa area air-gun target shooters !!!
Welcome to the club. :wink: :roll:

Also, freely expressing my viewpoint, I gotta say that if I had to think about EVERYTHING before I said it, I would probably not say very much at all. :cry:
....... This personal viewpoint is FREE ! ......

Keep up the good fight guys, - Powderkeg 8)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:19 pm 

Bummer! :|

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:50 pm 

Thanks again to Dave for organizing another day of shooting, even if the ATV guys made it a little shorter for some of us. Looking forward to the next event.

John

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:08 am 

Had a great day, we will need many more like this.

Was a honnor to meet you all. even if we had to relocate I still had a fun time.

I saw some of the most nices airguns ever. and I like the comadary of the guys was
expecting super serious guys but the safety was serious and that was great but, but
we sure had a few laughs.

Thanks Guys.

Thanks Dave.