Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: 1377 Mod Choices
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:41 pm 

I'm considering some mods to my Crosman 1377 and I'd like some advice please.

I'd like to start with the steel breach kit and the flat top piston. I don't need a longer barrel.

Is the adjustable trigger kit worth the $68.95?
http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/product_info.php/crosman-13xx17xx22xx-adjustable-trigger-kit-p-519
That's more than I paid for the pistol.

Exactly what is the hollow probe for and where is it installed?
http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/product_info.php/177-caliber-hollow-probe-for-crosman-13xx17xxdiscovery-p-630

Post subject: Re: 1377 Mod Choices
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:59 pm 

1377... The first consideration should be the flat top piston. Pumping less is the first concern with a pumper... You are already moving the smaller load, so their is no lighter caliber for pumping less. I wouldn't bother with the "American valve". A properly plugged "Canadian valve" will be identical or better in performance. You just need to plug the bleed hole (4-40 tap and screw) and flatten the front half of the valve.
The second consideration would be the breech if you plan on any sort of optics... Pumping and having the breech swinging all over the top is far from ideal. A good steel breech is much better.
$68.95 for a trigger kit? I personally would lighten the trigger spring, polish the sear/trigger contact points and relube them first. Way easier pull just a little bit of elbow grease. Plus a sense of pride in doing it yourself.
Hollow probe? Waste of time on a 1377. I tried many variations of hollow probes on my airguns, saw little to nothing on performance increases. They increase the breech chamber volume more than they help with flow. They would work on the BIG gas hogs... Tried them on some major .25 builds on HPA, saw little in return...

If you need an FTP or the front of your current valve reworked PM me. I have plenty of stock right now.

SureShot wrote:

I'd like to start with the steel breach kit and the flat top piston. I don't need a longer barrel.

Is the adjustable trigger kit worth the $68.95?
http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/product_info.php/crosman-13xx17xx22xx-adjustable-trigger-kit-p-519
That's more than I paid for the pistol.

Exactly what is the hollow probe for and where is it installed?
http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/product_info.php/177-caliber-hollow-probe-for-crosman-13xx17xxdiscovery-p-630

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:30 am 

SureShot wrote:

Rip it apart and debur EVERYTHING. When you're done; debur it again just to make sure. . . . . :mrgreen:
My first couple of teardown/reassemblies, resulted in a small pile of butchered orings. . .
SureShot wrote:
. . . steel breach kit and the flat top piston. I don't need a longer barrel.

Sounds like most of the ingredients for a real nice shooter. I've been very fortunate with OEM 1377 pipes. Many of the factory 1377 barrels are all but a gentle recrown away from being verrry accurate. FTP means more shooting, less pumping.

SureShot wrote:
Is the adjustable trigger kit worth the $68.95? That's more than I paid for the pistol.

The one part of that kit I find desireable, is one of the parts available separately for $11.99. I haven't used one yet, but I've been eyeing it with honest intent.

The OEM part is a poorly stamped and ill fitting piece that begs replacement, however, sufficiently shimmed and gently honed, even it can be massaged into a reasonably decent, predictable, clean breaking, single stage trigger. DO NOT reprofile anything, just polish all friction surfaces with quadruple digit grit, lube with a tiny bit of whatever grease type lubricant you have handy. Like DV suggests, greater value in the sense of accomplishment. Don't forget to polish the hammer face.

As for the "probe"; it's the part that locates the pellet into the barrel and is actuated by the bolt handle. I personally like the extended probe mod(you'll find it with a quick search) if required. It ensures that the pellet is seated in the leade, just past the port in the barrel. It doesn't have as much potential effect to increasing speed as it does to increased accuracy.
Again though, it isn't a part you'd need to buy, but it is something you can DIY with basic hand tools(drill, drillbit and reasonably steady hands).

Good Luck!

Warning; the following could be interpreted as a thread jack. . . .
DV wrote:
If you need an FTP or the front of your current valve reworked PM me. I have plenty of stock right now.

What else ya got plenty 'o stock of? :lol:
I've got a 1760, a 1740, and 2 QB's that're slowly making their way to the head of the project que, all of which are gonna need some functional blingety.

"Spill" your inventory Dude. . . . :mrgreen:

[/end thread jack]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:59 am 

vAgRaNt wrote:
some functional blingety. :mrgreen:

One of the more "apt" descriptions I've heard in a while...

As for the hollow probe- to each his own :wink: I've got a couple of originals on some old .22 Medalists. I ain't enough of a pistol shot to speak to their accuracy attributes, either way. Velocity gains, if any, are on the negligible side. What I do like (and this is a matter of purely personal preference) is the way the skirt of the pellet is supported at loading.

As mentioned earlier, the steel breech kit is an accuracy aid- I'd go for one even if I wasn't using a scope....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:12 pm 

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'm now trying to find one place that I can buy a steel breech and a flat top piston. Until then I'll have to be satisfied with this setup for my scope.

I used a pair of "clamp on" scope mounts I had kicking about. Can't wait until tomorrow morning to try it out :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:43 pm 

Hi guys,
Is there a bleed hole on the canadian 1322 valve?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:00 am 
Supporting Member 2009

SureShot wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'm now trying to find one place that I can buy a steel breech and a flat top piston.

http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/pro ... -kit-p-195

http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/pro ... -kit-p-194

As has been mentioned, a hollow probe in .177 is a waste of time unless the gun is modified extensively for airflow otherwise, a better idea is an extended bolt: http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/pro ... ndle-p-432

Please note: I do not conduct business through Private Messages (PM's) in online forums. Please do not send a 'PM" with a business-related question.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:59 pm 

SureShot wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'm now trying to find one place that I can buy a steel breech and a flat top piston. Until then I'll have to be satisfied with this setup for my scope.

I used a pair of "clamp on" scope mounts I had kicking about. Can't wait until tomorrow morning to try it out :)

I purchased my piston and steel breech from scopesandammo.com. Here are my experiences.
1) The kit does not come with a rear sight. This is not required if you're using a scope.
2) Installation of the breech kit is straightforward. Make sure you don't lose the little rubber seal on the transfer port.
3) Piston installation is straightforward too. It says to deburr the area where the piston slides, do a very thorough job of this otherwise the action will be rough. Also, when removing the grip/trigger assembly be careful or the spring and the tiny ball for the safety will be lost. Make sure everything is perfectly clean and lubricated with the correct lubricants before reassembling.
4) When adjusting the piston, don't put the O ring on - it says so on the instructions, but I'm reminding you so you don't have to remove it like I did.
5) It may seem as though the air port on the assembly doesn't line up when the grip assembly is screwed on - it can be rotated to line up.

Anyway, the items were shipped quickly and everything installed easily and with minimal hassle. What more can you ask for?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:23 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

tpark wrote:
...does not come with a rear sight. This is not required if you're using a scope.

People can re-use the stock sight with the steel breech if they file/sand its contour to match the breech.

Please note: I do not conduct business through Private Messages (PM's) in online forums. Please do not send a 'PM" with a business-related question.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:08 am 

SureShot wrote:

Steel breeches are very much worth it, buy it with no hesitation..My 5th pair but I did not buy them here in the Philippines where $100 for each is easy lol!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:55 am 
Supporting Member 2013

may be somthing you'd like . steel , alumiunum or more ridigit plastic

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:22 am 

jezX wrote:
may be somthing you'd like . steel , alumiunum or more ridigit plastic

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

Mine is free floated..I had the stainless plug cnc made..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:48 am 
Supporting Member 2013

some nice s steel . the barrel is s steel to :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:34 pm 

jezX wrote:
some nice s steel . the barrel is s steel to :)

No sir the barrel is just polished..