Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:29 am 

Max, I'm shooting a Benjamin Trial NP LX 1100. I'm about the same number of shots right now (new gun: 250 ~300). I am also planning on a trigger upgrade. The long soft pull seems wrong. I can only guess that the XL does kick harder than yours, and I have been told that I need to have "the patience of Job" and take the proper time to learn how to shoot this big rifle. But I am getting better... still lots to do.

I never have multi inch flyers with this Benji XL, but I did with my old Blue Streak in .20 cal a few times. I guessed that was from bent skirts (big excited fingers diving into the tin). Most of the mistakes in groups I have are 'operator error'). I'm starting to notice my own failures in "form". With failing to execute the artillery hold properly, or other simple mistakes. But once I trance-out and make a few great groups I start to notice something really different.... In that 5 shot group, I have two 'little groups'. Both will have nice tight overlapping holes, but they will be always about 3/8~3/4 inch diagonally apart from each other (top left to bottom right). I'm shooting at 42 feet, rifle is rested. Just using CPHP 14.3 g for break in.

It just buggs me that I can reproduce those two 'little groups' so often. I can shoot a dozen times and I'll have 5 overlapped holes 3/8" diagonally away from 7 overlapped holes. It makes me wonder about the breach, maybe it is closing in two very slightly different ways (?).

The previous post (about scope adjustment and inner tube faults by GoodEnough) is very interesting, and I will recheck my scope.

I did notice that the CPHP pellets seems to also come in "Small, Medium, and Large" out of the same tin, that can't be helping.

In the near future (once I shoot the whole 500 tin of CPHP's) I had planned to clean/service the rifle, install the better trigger, and then order multiple tins of various 16 g pellets. I'd like to get the scope set to the same weight/trajectory of pellet (in a hope of increasing accuracy) while I search for the "right" pellet. There are a lot of 16 g (+/-) pellets available. To me it seems like the right weight for my rifle, I don't plan on shooting real heavy pellets. My fear is that this would hurt the gun.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:06 am 

Erector tube issues ....

http://www.pyramydair.com/article/Scope ... ch_2008/46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ltqjn1aG ... re=related (ref to vid at 5 mins onward for this specific issue)

Be careful to NOT cant the rifle as well & if your rifle is new there MAY be pellet tumble.
I just yesterday shimmed my rear ring (Benji classic .22 & scope).
Most people say put tin foil or paper etc .. I used a strip of thin leather as in from the tongue of an old leather shoe (make sure it is not thick leather)
Leather will provide a better grip betwee the scope tube & the lower rear ring. Not all scopes come with rings that have sticky pads for a better grip between ring & scope.
One may want to use a bubble level & a plummet hanging on a thread, to line vertical & horizantal axis/reticle. This will help aviod unintended canting of rifle cause the scope is mounted off axis.
*** As always do not overtighten or you WILL ruin your scope !!! ***
I am REALLY interested in getting the NPXL .22 & would absoultely LOOOOVE to see it in person. Cal22 u in halifax :) ? where did u get your's & how much etc ?

Let us know how it all turns out m8

Pete

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:02 am 

Thanks for the links. I am not a new shooter, but I am very new to scopes. I will attempt a strip down and over haul of the scope set up once I empty this 500 tin of CPHP pellets. at the same time I will put in the new trigger, and re-adapt to the xl1100 all over again. I don't see a benefit in trying to get everything 100% right now, as I am still breaking in the gun.

If you follow my older posts you will learn stuff about me:

topic44182.html

topic42315.html

topic105-45.html

I'm in Ontario/Toronto(ish), no where near Halifax - but as a sailor - i have been - and a lovely place Halifax it is (or as far as i saw in my drunken stumbling) .

The Benjamin Trail Np XL 1100 is strong/big, but more manageable than I would have expected, after reading all the reviews (note that I am average height, but 200 lbs). My best advice about this Rifle is that it is a "Magnum" and that you need to be prepared for that. You need patience to learn to deal with the recoil. but in the end it is a lot of fun, and it is... what it is... if you have a specific question I would be happy to answer. cheers!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:31 am 

Hope u get it all sorted out man .. I am just sharing the wealth :)) I did actually read the link about when the gun was for sale .. focused on 'Sold' & hit back browser so didn't see that you were the one that got it ! haha Good deal !!!
Some US sites are selling for $299.99 but I bet there are import duties & even before that import permits it prolly eat up more than the gun itself .. but have to chk it out. May just get it from http://scopesandammo.com/
Got a question .. is the barrel choked ? I've heard the recoil is akin to a centerfire .. ?

Peter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:17 am 

The Trail NP XL 1100 is powerful. All that power is coming from a piston, and so it has a good amount of kick and torque when it goes off. It also requires a good amount of strength applied to cock it, but technique can overcome all of these things. It is not a kids toy, or a for a real inexperienced shooter. I can understand how it would frustrate some people, and the trigger isn't great (but it isn't the end fo the word either). It has enough power to earn anyones respect, but it is controllable, and I can shoot it for hours and not have any complaints or aches afterward (I couldn't shoot a 308 all day, so I would't say it's as strong as a centerfire, not even close). I'm an average size guy, with average fitness level.

Since I have been watching some pellet shooting videos on YouTube, I'm jealous of the slow motion scope camera work. You don't see any Trail NP XL attaching a camera to it's scope. I think that is for a simple reason - I'd guess the recoil would break the camera, or make for some pretty poor video.

It would be very interesting to see a comparison between the shooting characteristics of a Nitro Piston Benjamin NP XL 1100 and the Spring Powered Walther Falcon Hunter. They are just as powerful, same cal. Then the difference between a spring and a piston could be looked at. I would guess that the piston is better, or calmer to shoot. The nicest thing about the XL 1100 has to be that while it is powerful, it is quiet too.

http://www.dlairgun.com/Air-Rifles/Benjamin-Sheridan/
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benjamin_ ... Rifle/2052
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Walther_F ... 1491#sSpec

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:12 am 

TY for the info Cal22 :)
Sorry for getting off topic maxfax ... so how any report on how you are faring now ?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:49 am 

I re-adjusted my scope, the flare part on the front end of the scope was in the mount. Tightened the mounts carefully and evenly. Still not grouping as well as I would like, but still is quite accurate. I have ordered some JSB's to try as well as the RWS cleaning kit. I have read that sometimes a cleaning may help with the accuracy. I also just received the phantom 1000 piston to add. Once all these things are done. I'll post my results.

Rob

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:37 pm 

Good luck Rob .. I've given some thought to replacing the spring piston in my BS Classic as well .. so will def be interested to know about the changes in yours after the upgrade.

Peter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:04 pm 

I put in a new spring and piston (for the phantom 1000). Man, what a difference. The accuracy has increased dramatically- it is now grouping nicely, with the occasional flier. More often than not, pellets are entering the same hole. The holes are occasionally quite ragged, so I think the CPHP are tumbling. I have ordered some JSB exacts and some RWS Hobby pellets to try, hopefully with further improvements.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:57 am 

I have noticed the better shooting feel of a nitro piston, but since mine was equipped that way from the start, I find I still need more practice, and patience. I'm shooting at targets at 42ish feet (13.5 yards). I reviewed the links to material about helping to deal with potential scope problems that GoodEnough posted. But I still find that I am likely making little mistakes, but I am slowly improving as well.

I have ordered the upgrade trigger, some 16g JSB pellets, and a new 4x16x40 AO RGi scope (Trail came with a 3x9x40 AO). It might not be a huge step up for scopes, but I had to keep in mind the potential short distances that I could be shooting and that I need a short range AO value. I can see a benefit in having illumination, and the 3x9 will be transfered to the old Blue Streak. If I get a better PCP rifle in the future I might get a nicer scope again, but I am new to scopes, so I'd like to learn at the lower dollar range. I don't think that I have a bad scope - i simply need another to compare it too.

Attached is my last 12 shot group. I watched the videos about training to keep the shooting eye "Spot Welded", and this made a huge difference. To help I taped a penny onto the stock so I could feel with my cheek that I was in the same position. I also payed attention to watch the size of the eye reticle surround (black ring) and keep it consistant.

While I'm still screwing up, I am still learning to shoot this Benji better each day (each flyer had a reason - that I am having an easier time recognizing), and I'm waiting to see if a slightly better scope, trigger, and pellets will make an even better difference. Good Luck MaxFax, I understand your frustration.

Attachment:
IMG00279-20120222-0023W.jpg
IMG00279-20120222-0023W.jpg [ 87.93 KiB | Viewed 417 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:35 am 

@ Maxfax: piston & spring still working well ? have you per chance chronographed it ?
Any improvement with the other pellets ?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:43 am 

@ Cal22 - is there a big imporvement from the stock scope ? & is the accuracy of the gun any better with it on ?

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:15 am 

Goodenough,

This is a totally different gun. Before, I had lots of twang, and it was inaccurate. Now, no twang at all, but it is very loud- to the point I think I will need ear protection to shoot it. It is now dead accurate. I can put several pellets through the same hole at 11 m. Occasionally I still get a pellet or two an inch off target, but that may be me. I wish I had a place that I could shoot it outside at further distances. In combination with the GTXII trigger, it is a fantastic gun. I had always planned on getting a tx200 or one of the HW guns, but I am going to hold off for now. I dont have a chrony, and i dont think I want to spend the cash on one right now. So go ahead and make the switch!

Rob

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:18 am 

Oh, I forgot. I have been using JSB Exact Jumbos. What a difference in quality as compared to the CPHP. Both pellets work well, though. I also have some RWS Hobbies that I will try later- they came with the cleaning kit I bought.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:13 pm 

GoodEnough wrote:
@ Cal22 - is there a big imporvement from the stock scope ? & is the accuracy of the gun any better with it on ?

Cheers

Canada Post has misplaced the shipment (?) apparently it is all corrected and I should get everything next week. I'll let you know how it works out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next