Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:00 pm 

Anyone know genrally the TRAPPING laws for the lower mainland?

cant shoot 'em squirrels so trap em?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:04 pm 
Site sponsor and moderator

Shins wrote:
Anyone know genrally the TRAPPING laws for the lower mainland?

cant shoot 'em squirrels so trap em?

The Eastern Grey and Fox squirrels are classed as Scedule C animals in the hunting regs. Which means you can kill them at anytime. No licence needed. Our Native Red squirrel is a Protected species though.
Page 14
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hu ... 2Part1.pdf

Schedule C

4Schedule "C" animals can be captured

or killed anywhere and at any time in BC.

Schedule “C” birds may be hunted using electronic

calls. You do not need a hunting licence

to hunt or kill the following

Schedule “C” wildlife:

(a) Rana catesbeiana - American bullfrog

(b) Rana clamitans - green frog

(c) all species of the family Chelydridae -

snapping turtles

(d) Didelphis virginiana - North American

opossum

(e) Sylvilagus floridanus - eastern cottontail

(f) Oryctolagus cuniculus - European rabbit

(g) Myocastor coypus - nutria

(h) all species of the genus Sciurus - gray

squirrels and fox squirrels

(i) Passer domesticus - house sparrow

(j) Sturnus vulgaris - European starling

(k) Columbia livia - rock dove (domestic

pigeon)

4You do need a hunting licence to hunt the

following Schedule “C” wildlife UNLESS you

are hunting them on your property or they are

damaging your property:

(a) Corvus caurina - Northwestern Crow

(b) Corvus brachyrhynchos - American Crow

(c) Pica pica - black-billed magpie

(d) Molothrus ater - brown-headed cowbird

and the eggs of this bird species may be

destroyed.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:04 pm 

So could i set up some snares or cages on public property? :D

I wonder how that works...

I can imagine some people might give me looks wrestling with a snared squirrel lol.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:42 am 

Shins wrote:

I can imagine some people might give me looks wrestling with a snared squirrel lol.

I'd be more worried about catching peoples pets as that wouldn't go over very well.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:02 pm 

scruffie wrote:
Shins wrote:

I'd be more worried about catching peoples pets as that wouldn't go over very well.

Even in your own backyard, I wouldn't want to catch the neighbor cat or if my cat got caught next door.

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:55 pm 

wow, looks same as Coquitlam's. i guess the disagree focus on 'all air guns' and what about our own property. no backyard, then no inside house too(city limit). what the hell is this, someone discharge a 'redryder' in his own house then he will be fined for $2000 and go to jail for 6 month? if somebody reported him of course.

i feel more and more serious about this topic and i think everyone on this forum should pay attention to this. according to the law, shooting in the basement won't unhood anybody from the trouble.

scruffie wrote:
powerball wrote:
jbb1975 wrote:
I live in Port Coquitlam, the cop that showed up last summer said it is legal to shoot a pellet gun in your back yard, (new neighbor that moved in behind is an a%#hole).Anyways as long as your being safe and responsible( good backstop with nothing behind it) I would go ahead. I'm sure the worst would be that they'll tell you,you cant. Of course this is just my personal opinion on it.

thanks alot buddy! this is really helpful, i m very to hear that. at least i know some cops got good attitude. :lol: i bet everyone on this forum would agree with that, being safe and resposible.

PoCo is not Coquitlam and good attitude or not, it is Illegal. jbb1975 is wrong. $2000 fine and six months?? The next Cop may not be so nice. Especially if the Swat Team shows up because they received a phone call that someone was seen with a Gun :roll:

http://www.portcoquitlam.ca/__shared/as ... 206889.pdf

THE CORPORATION OF THE

CITY OF PORT COQUITLAM

BYLAW NO. 1220

A Bylaw to prohibit the discharge of firearms

within the City of Port Coquitlam.

The Municipal Council of The Corporation of the City of Port Coquitlam, in open meeting assembled, enacts as follows:

1. Except as hereinafter provided, no person shall discharge any firearm, including air guns, air rifles, air pistols, and spring guns within the Corporate limits of The Corporation of the City of Port Coquitlam.

2. The provisions of this Bylaw shall not apply to:

(a) Any person protecting livestock pursuant to the Livestock Act;

(b) Any member of a bona fide shooting club, while shooting at a range constituted for and used only for the practice of target shooting;

(c) Any owner, employee, or patron of a commercial indoor target shooting range, while shooting at such indoor range;

(d) Any member of any military unit in or upon the range of such military unit provided and used for the purpose of drill or training;

(e) Any peace officer acting in the execution of his duties.

3. (a) Bylaw No. 864 of the City cited as the "City of Port Coquitlam Firearm Regulations Bylaw No. 865, 1967" is repealed.

(b) Bylaw No. 1206 of the City cited as the "City of Port Coquitlam Firearm Regulations Bylaw, No. 864, 1967, Amendment Bylaw, 1972, No. 1206" is repealed.

4. Every person who violates any of the provisions of this Bylaw or who permits any act or thing to be done in contravention or in violation of any of the provisions of this Bylaw, or who neglects to do or refrains from doing anything required to be done by any of the provisions of this Bylaw shall be guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction and shall be liable to a fine of not more than $2,000.00 or to imprisonment for not more than six months, or to both, the penalties being enforced and the fines and costs being recoverable upon summary conviction in the manner provided by the Offence Act R.S.B.C. 1979, c. 305 as amended.

5. This Bylaw may be cited for all purposes as the "City of Port Coquitlam Firearm Prohibition Bylaw, 1972, No. 1220".

Read a first time by the Municipal Council this 27th day of November, 1972.

Read a second time by the Municipal Council this 27th day of November, 1972.

Read a third time by the Municipal Council this 27th day of November, 1972.

Reconsidered, finally passed and adopted by the Municipal Council of The Corporation of the City of Port Coquitlam this 4th day of December, 1972.

"L.B. Scott"

Mayor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:45 am 

Interesting thread, guys. I am now wondering this: (particularly for the Vancouverites among us)
Other than going to a club or official range, where would the nearest place be to legally shoot air rifles outside? ie, where are the city limits? Easy enough to find for Vancouver City, but presumably any neighboring city/municipality etc, (with similar regs) would make up a contiguous no-shoot zone all the way to... where? Beyond Hope (no pun intended!) to the East?
In the forest north of Lions Bay? (but before Squamish?)
Has anyone ever determined this for the Lower Mainland? I have a couple boys who are getting into shooting and love the outdoors. I am thinking even up at Alouette Lake, or Harrison, there are parks that then have their own rules...
I will do some leg work, but please let me know if anybody already knows the closest place to the city that we could shoot at!

Feinwerkbau 700
Daisy 853c

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:52 am 

cabin fever wrote:
Interesting thread, guys. I am now wondering this: (particularly for the Vancouverites among us)
Other than going to a club or official range, where would the nearest place be to legally shoot air rifles outside? ie, where are the city limits? Easy enough to find for Vancouver City, but presumably any neighboring city/municipality etc, (with similar regs) would make up a contiguous no-shoot zone all the way to... where? Beyond Hope (no pun intended!) to the East?
In the forest north of Lions Bay? (but before Squamish?)
Has anyone ever determined this for the Lower Mainland? I have a couple boys who are getting into shooting and love the outdoors. I am thinking even up at Alouette Lake, or Harrison, there are parks that then have their own rules...
I will do some leg work, but please let me know if anybody already knows the closest place to the city that we could shoot at!

Already mentioned in this thread page 2:
Though not strictly legal, I have heard rumours that some people actually set up airgun ranges inside their house. :wink: The ole idiom, "Out of sight out of mind" seems to hold true. Other wise you can go to the range, sure. Three of them on your side of the river. Or east to Sylvester road would be the closest non range, but be warned, because it is the nearest, everyone and their dog with rifles lets lead fly there. Lots of room up Harrision Lake Both the east and west roads. We try to have an FT shoot at the Mission Range every month. More than welcome to bring your son and come on out to do a little shooting. Get to see and use some different rifles that way.
Will add Chilliwack lake, Silverhope , etc on the south side of the Fraser. Or Squamish if heading up the Sea to Sky.
Grab a set of hunting regs. or go on line to check them out. Where hunting is allowed on the Area Maps :wink:

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hu ... gulations/

Pge 36, 37, 38 has some maps defining some no shooting areas in Zone 2

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hu ... 2Part1.pdf

Fraser valley special area hunting maps. Requires extra Liability insurance .
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/lower-mainland ... fvslha.htm

Indepth Fraser Valley special area Maps. Where Liability extra liability insurance is required.
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hu ... 011Web.pdf
Requires liability insurance

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:59 pm 

Why do you need insurance? seems kinda rediculous.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:13 pm 

Shins wrote:
Why do you need insurance? seems kinda rediculous.

$1,000,000.00 Public Liability and Property Damage insurance is required.

Just like it says:
Because you are discharging firearms on and near residential and populated areas. Go farther out into the country, and no insurance is needed.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:37 pm 

hi guys, anyone was interersted in this topic, i got an answer now. this is a very rare nice, warm, sunny, peaceful day of Great Vancouver in winter, but i did come back with a very sad truth: it's illegal, to discharge any firearms, include any pellet gun or BB guns in the city limit, anywhere, no matter it's in your house or backyard, neither to say public area. this confirmation is from the city hall, legal and bylaws department of coquitlam. our only choice will be the range. it is true, if your kid want to play with a redryder in your house, illegal. any airsoft, illegal. any archery? fine with stationary target shooting, which i think much more dangerous than a non-pal BB gun. because it can be any bow, just can't be crossbow.

about city limit. if i go out of coquitlam, i'll be in poco or port moody, where also has same bylaws. i do believe we have to go farther than hope or harrizon lake, deep into the jungle to do free shooting, eh, 'BB guns'.

in any hunting area, i think liabity insurance and hunting license will be needed. we are holding 'guns' anyways. it's also ironic that i also think it's not allowed to have a .177 air gun in the hunting area because it will be too cruel for the small games. we have to make sure the game is killed in 'happy'. what a paranoid world....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:42 pm 

frustrating hey?

maybe kids need insurance to play outside.

after all, they might damage something.

or you never know, i might ride my bicycle into the side of a ferrari, better get million dollar insurance. There is literally probably the same chance of that happening in the fraiser valley.

carelessness can cause damage in SO MANY ways its not even funny. hunters are the least of our worries.

/rant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:48 pm 

powerball wrote:
hi guys, anyone was interersted in this topic, i got an answer now. this is a very rare nice, warm, sunny, peaceful day of Great Vancouver in winter, but i did come back with a very sad truth: it's illegal, to discharge any firearms, include any pellet gun or BB guns in the city limit, anywhere, no matter it's in your house or backyard, neither to say public area. this confirmation is from the city hall, legal and bylaws department of coquitlam. our only choice will be the range. it is true, if your kid want to play with a redryder in your house, illegal. any airsoft, illegal. any archery? fine with stationary target shooting, which i think much more dangerous than a non-pal BB gun. because it can be any bow, just can't be crossbow.

about city limit. if i go out of coquitlam, i'll be in poco or port moody, where also has same bylaws. i do believe we have to go farther than hope or harrizon lake, deep into the jungle to do free shooting, eh, 'BB guns'.

in any hunting area, i think liabity insurance and hunting license will be needed. we are holding 'guns' anyways. it's also ironic that i also think it's not allowed to have a .177 air gun in the hunting area because it will be too cruel for the small games. we have to make sure the game is killed in 'happy'. what a paranoid world....

:shock:
You obviously have not been reading/comprehending any of the information that I have been giving. :roll: I'm done. :hsmash

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:02 pm 

hey scruffie, my appology. actually i'v read all you posted above. just too hard to accept the truth. :) i prefered blind my eyes and try not to believe until i come back from the city hall, and the police department.

in fact, the police officer was more casual about the law. he told me stay indoor and keep out of anybody seeing then i should be fine. apparently they are not that restrict with the enforcement, or they too don't think the law is so realistic. maybe i m too lazy to driver an hour to the east to find some place shoot couple pellets. just still think the bylaws is kind of unreasonable.

i read news couple weeks ago from China, it says that one must register his ID when he want to buy a kitchen knife, in some cities in China. Chinese think it's radiculous. everyone knows kitchen knives could be deadly weapon for thousands years i think, but register ID? what's the next? i m hoping it won't happen here.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:37 pm 

Dont you need a permit to have children as well in China?

Canada take note...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next