Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:12 am 

Hey, I'm quite new here but have been lurking around for awhile and thought I'd might as well join! Anyways I was looking to power tune my old crosman optimus to the 1000 version with the repair kit on scopes and ammo. I was just wondering if anyone else has done this power tune and how it turned out. One more question that just popped into my head while typeing this was, I'm not quite sure if I get the crosman optimus 1000 repair kit OR the quest/phantom one considering that many people say the optimus is just a rebranded/relabeled quest.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Also just to note, I do have a PAL and will register the rifle if/after I do the mod.

Once again, thanks!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:32 pm 

supimnew wrote:
Also just to note, I do have a PAL and will register the rifle if/after I do the mod.

:shock:
Why would you register it now? The registry should be dead any day! Save your money and wait so you do not have to pay the Gov't fees for what will not be in place soon! :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:43 pm 

X2 on the registry thing.
Also, there is only one kit for all the Crosman B18.19 products including, Quest, Phantom, Classic, Optimus, Trail, Vantage, etc... Eric just lists them separately because..... not sure why. He had an explanation, maybe so a search engine will bring specific ones up. Anyhow, they are the same. :drinkers:

Duke ))))----//----------==

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:30 pm 

Has anyone used the repair kit and we're satisfied with it?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:59 am 

supimnew wrote:
Hey, I'm quite new here but have been lurking around for awhile and thought I'd might as well join! Anyways I was looking to power tune my old crosman optimus to the 1000 version with the repair kit on scopes and ammo. I was just wondering if anyone else has done this power tune and how it turned out. One more question that just popped into my head while typeing this was, I'm not quite sure if I get the crosman optimus 1000 repair kit OR the quest/phantom one considering that many people say the optimus is just a rebranded/relabeled quest.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Once again, thanks!!

PAL is good but registry, thank goodness is gone. I thank Steven every day for this.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:58 pm 
Dukemeister wrote:
X2 on the registry thing.
Also, there is only one kit for all the Crosman B18.19 products including, Quest, Phantom, Classic, Optimus, Trail, Vantage, etc... Eric just lists them separately because..... not sure why. He had an explanation, maybe so a search engine will bring specific ones up. Anyhow, they are the same. :drinkers:

Probably to save people asking him, will this fit xx?

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 2:16 pm 

Honestly have done that kit. It's great but might as well spend a few bucks more with scopes and ammo and get the nitro piston kit and the conversion. Best 100 bux you ever spent and now your gun will be up to date and smooth

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 2:18 pm 

I had both my Optimus .177 and my classic .22 both upgraded to short piston and new deals and springs and about two weeks later I spent more money and upgraded both yo nitro piston

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:49 pm 

I'd be sure you actually need the kit before dropping that kinda coin on it. Some guns only need the oem full power spring (~$13CA), most likely need either a mod done to the piston if you're up for it, or you have to by a new one like in that kit. A few pistons are kinda fubar so buying new is really your only option unless you're really into doing things yourself. I have pix of various pistons including the fubar one if you're curious.
So if it were me I'd take it apart to see what it needs, then decide. If you do then we really only need pix of your piston, both the side view showing the slot, and one of the end with the seal. What caliber is it?
There are several options for springs but imo the oem full power is pretty hard to beat for price, fit and versatility. They are also very adjustable so you can make it just about any power level you want from full power of ~18 ftlbs down to whatever. I have one set to about 9 ftlbs and it's really cool as long as you don't need more power. So cocking is super easy, it's quieter, more accurate, more pleasant in every way. And adjusting between that and full power takes <10min. My point is really that I think it's a better option than nitro, but if you do want nitro it isn't too hard to make happen, the hardest part is paying for it which I'd imagine is $52CA. They make two nitros that work well in that gun, the full power one that everyone wants, and one that's about 2/3rds as strong, fyi.
And if you haven't heard me say it before; you can make the coil as smooth and quiet as a nitro, even more so if you reduce the power. So your options depend on what you want, price, and how much work you're willing and able to do. I would mod what you have and only buy a new coil spring and main seal. Seal is $2.30CA? Like the nitro it's a guess because they basically charge double the US price from Crosman, not counting the exchange rate, the seal is $1.15US and a nitro is $26US. I keep forgetting the name of the place you guys get parts from... Anyone?
Regardless of your choice I can explain how to mod the gun if needed.