Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:46 pm 

Dave should have all the scorecards. We had 8 lanes with 3 targets each. Furthest target was about 50-55m, closest around 10. Out of a possible 48 points, the winner was Brian (not sure of his name on the forum) with 33.

I really enjoyed my first FT, looking forward to the next one :) I said if I got more than 10 points I'd be happy, and I ended up with 11.

Webley Alecto .22 & Walther MRS sight
Stoeger X5 .177, 4x32 scope combo

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:33 pm 

Hunter scoring is a little more encouraging. You score two points if you knock the target down, one point if you hit metal on the target and zero if you miss completely. So someone who score 11/48 with regular FT scoring might end up with 59/96. The 33/48 could be 81/96. The rules for hunter class are in the CAFTA rules.

You could also just use that scoring until you have gained experience and then branch into the other divisions.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:57 pm 

Yea I thought I read something like that. I'd say I made contact with 90% of my shots, but it was hard to tell sometimes at 50m.

Are there targets that have a center knockdown, and a body knockdown as well??

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:05 pm 

Are you guys planning another meet soon? I missed this one. but am interested in showing up to the next one.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:50 pm 

There was talk of first or second week of June for the next one... Nothing official yet.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 7:01 pm 

Thanks to dHb for taking the lead and organising FT in the Ottawa area. So far we are just using the standard "fall to score" method. We are just starting out so we have not divided up into classes yet. We are enthusiastic and hope to be running "proper" matches in the near future. At the moment we have a land owner that is willing to let us use his private airport grass runway as a venue. He and his son shot the match with us and it would appear that we will welcomed back. His son borrowed my gun and actually finished 2nd (he is only about 10 years old)!

We are always open to idea's on how to run a better match. I like the idea of the "hunter" scoring method. all suggestions welcomed.

Air Arms FTP900
Air Arms TX200 MK III
CFSC/CRFSC Instructor

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:37 pm 
Site sponsor and moderator

Mac wrote:
Hunter scoring is a little more encouraging. You score two points if you knock the target down, one point if you hit metal on the target and zero if you miss completely. So someone who score 11/48 with regular FT scoring might end up with 59/96. The 33/48 could be 81/96. The rules for hunter class are in the CAFTA rules.

You could also just use that scoring until you have gained experience and then branch into the other divisions.

Pretty sure this is the correct copy of the rules... http://www.fieldtargetcentral.com/docs/ ... 0Rules.pdf

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:11 pm 

How does it work as far as the day in general? Is it only matchs? Is there areas to plink, practice, sight in, etcetc? I'm new to this aspect of things. But living in the city doesn't provide a lot of opportunities to use my gun. Obviously. And considering I'm the only one out of my friends that has an interest in this I am pretty much out of luck when it comes too having a place to use my Airgun with like minded people. So lately I've been dieing for a reason to shoot something lol. I'm also interested in the competition aspect of it. Not that i am any good as it has been a long while since I've shot anything but competition usually makes things more fun so why not lol. And I kind of thought it would be an old boys club type of thing, but hearing a 10 year old came in second kind of alleviates that lol.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:35 pm 

Not speaking for all areas, but official FT matches do have what is called a sight in area. At Port, we set two sets of multi-bullseye paper targets out at every 5 yards from 10 to 55 yards. We may also have sprinners and targets that knock up and down. We shoot here for an hour or more before we have a shooters meeting and then head out to the match. When the match is completed and awards handed out, we will often revisit the sight in range for some more fun. I usually arrive at the club by 8:00AM and leave between 5:00 and 7:00 PM.

When we say a day off shooting, that's exactly what we mean.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:44 pm 

BJP wrote:
Thanks to dHb for taking the lead and organising FT in the Ottawa area. So far we are just using the standard "fall to score" method. We are just starting out so we have not divided up into classes yet. We are enthusiastic and hope to be running "proper" matches in the near future. At the moment we have a land owner that is willing to let us use his private airport grass runway as a venue. He and his son shot the match with us and it would appear that we will welcomed back. His son borrowed my gun and actually finished 2nd (he is only about 10 years old)!

We are always open to idea's on how to run a better match. I like the idea of the "hunter" scoring method. all suggestions welcomed.

Certainly not suggesting you do all divisions right away. What I would say is that the hunter type scoring may not be a bad method for everyone to start with. The best shooters still get the best scores and the lower scores seem much more encouraging, especially to young shooters. You could score 48/96 without knocking down a single target. Just a thought.

The others in the squad should be listening for the metal hit and often the shooter can hear and see it. Honestly is not usually a concern since no one wants to get something they know they do not deserve. We have an all hunter match on the first Saturday of November and the attendance at the last two was over 30, so the format is popular.

Keep up your great work in the Ottawa area.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:04 pm 

I like your scoring idea and will make the suggestion that we use that for our next match. Anything we can do to keep the enthusiasm up is a good idea. At the moment we're focusing on the fun factor until we get a bit more established (I think!!!). We had about an hour of sight in practise before we started our match then dove straight in. While it's a beautiful property there are no facilities so I'm trying to see if we can use an established range as an alternative on occasion.

Air Arms FTP900
Air Arms TX200 MK III
CFSC/CRFSC Instructor

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:32 pm 

Here are the results that were read out at the match. Scores are out of 48.

33 Brian
24 Duncan
21 Todd
19 Eric
18 Dave
16 Michel
11 Andrew & Marc
8 John & Jean
6 Andre & Frank
0 Kevin

I see that BJB is trying to mess with Duncan's mind by demoting him from 13 to 10 - tsk, tsk.

How about Sunday, May 27th for the next shoot. I'm unavailable the first two weekends in June.

CFSC/CRFSC Instructor

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:42 pm 

Sunday May 27th sounds nice to me. I'll be working most Saturdays in May and June. :)

Alecto .22
HB22 .22
Norica mod.56 .177

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:26 am 

dhb wrote:
How about Sunday, May 27th for the next shoot. I'm unavailable the first two weekends in June.

Sounds great! Of course my new scope arrived the monday after our first shoot ;)
Hopefully I'll be able to knock down some of the +25m targets now!