Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Pellet info wanted
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:07 am 

Got my scuba adapter for my AA 400 FT today, and finally shot it. Wow! Beautiful trigger, balance and knock-your-sox-off accuracy. So I'm going to get ready for my embarrassment down south on the 24th.

I have 4 pellets suitable for sighting in my gun and shooting an FT course. I want this quick and dirty. Here's what I've got:

1) RWS Superdomes, 8.3 grains
2) JSB Exact Heavies 10.3 grains
3) H&R Field Target Trophies (can't find them but know they're around, I think 8.4 grains)
4) Crosman Premiers.

They all shoot into the same ragged hole at 7 1/2 yards indoors. I just don't have time to order anything else, and I have over 400 of each.

Which one should I sight my gun in for, and what distance should I sight it in for? As I said above, I'd sure like this quick and dirty. I just don't have time to mess around before I leave in 3 weeks - its the end of my year and I'm really busy.

Help would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Pellet info wanted
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:54 am 

IIRC, your gun is a 12 FPE gun, right?.... Assuming that is the case, I wouldn't use the 10.3 gr. as they will be in the low 700's and won't have the flat trajectory you would desire for the longer shots.... AFAIK, the Int'l FT shooters mostly use 8.4 gr. JSB Exacts (or possibly the 7.8 gr. Express), the 8.4 gr. H&N FTTs, or Crosman boxed 7.9 gr. Premiers.... There really isn't very much else that has the BC you are looking for to buck the wind and also shoot as flat as possible....

If you can't tell which is the most accurate between your choices, and since you don't have any 8.4 gr. Exacts.... I'd guess that the FTTs would be the best choice.... Personally I like sighting in with a 1/2" kill zone using ChairGun, which means about 30 yards.... putting you about 4" low at 55 yards.... Shoot at as many ranges as you can to KNOW your POI.... Good Luck....

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:24 pm 

Hi Gord

When you say sight in distance, are you talking about sighting for Hunter and therefor probably using mil-dots or for regular FT where you would click for every distance?

With mil dots, I would have the center dot or zero out around 40 yards and then use the dots above and below for the other distances.

For regular FT, most WFTF powered rigs zero at about 24 or 25 yards. If your scope is mounted high, you will need lots of clicks at the close distances (10-12 yards) and not as many as usual at the longer distances. If mounted low, the opposite happens. I have my WFTF rigs with scopes mounted at least 2" above the bore, that is from center of the scope to the center of the bore.

As for pellets, for me it really would come down to which one is most accurate, especially at the longer ranges from 40 to 55 yards. I would use the JSB heavy at 715 fps and accurate before I would use a pellet that yields a more suitable velocity but is not accurate. Before sighting, I would do groups at 50 yards to choose the pellet, then sight in the most accurate one.

Getting some JSB 8.4s and/or 7.9s sent to you real quick would really help your chances.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:00 pm 

Thank both of you for your answers. It is exactly what I wanted. I'll work with the 8.3/8.4 weights and see what I come up with. I weighed the Crosmans and yes, they came in at 7.8-8.0, so I'll give those a shot, too.

I doubt I can get others in in time, because D&L is out of 8.4 JSB's and I've only got 2 weeks to go, so I think I'll go with what I have. I'll keep you posted - can't sight in until next Thursday because I'll be out of town.

I'd use chairgun for a lot of ballistic stuff, but I run on Linux so these programs don't work - I have to do it the old fashioned way.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:38 pm 

Gord, we always sight in before we play the game, and I'm sure between all of us we'll have what your gun will like.
I have several different types and weights of pellets, and I'm sure everyone else does too!
We will look after yooo! :) ...Curt...
P.S. I WILL be there, I will not WORK!! :roll: ...Curt.