Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Hanna Field Target Match
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:56 am 

First of all HUGE apologies for my absence from the forum for the past several months. We have had to deal with a number of unanticipated events and it looks like we missed out on some great shoots. For a long overdue update ... I have had tons of problems with insurance issues and finally came to the conclusion that we will have to take our chances with waiver forms only. It has been almost impossible to find an insurance company that will cover private property for shooting sports. We have been sourcing targets and have been REALLY fortunate to acquire some amazing custom made targets that are totally unique and built to last forever. With these details in place, we are finally ready to host a field target match on our farm in Hanna. I have been trying to co-ordinate a date with my brother George from Ontario. I wanted him here for the first shoot in order to tap into his experience for setting up the range and to act in the capacity of match director. We want to kick off with a match following the CAFTA guidelines so ... I'm VERY sorry for the short notice but at the last minute George was able to book a flight to Alberta this week! This is the only time this summer that he is able to come and therefore we will be hosting our first official Hanna Field Target match this Sunday, July 1 rain or shine. I realize that almost everyone will have already made plans but if you are able to attend and up for the drive:
There will be 3 divisions - Piston, PCP and open
9:00 - 11:00 am - arrival, practice and registration
11:00 am start, with a total out of 50 shots (we will break half way for a coffee etc. then finish up with beef on a bun and awards)
There are a lot more details including directions etc. but I will wait and see if this date is going to work for anyone first. Again, I am really sorry for the short notice!

Barb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:18 pm 

Hanna Field Target Club is the newest CAFTA sanctioned FT Club in Canada and I really hope things go well at this first match. If you can make it out, you will get to see what a regular FT course looks like and get the experience of shooting through it. The only way you will know what it is like is to experience it.

I am anxious to hear the feedback after the event and even more anxious to hear folks chime in here to let Barb know that they will be attending.

I talked with George this weekend and he is very excited about this event. He will set up a course that will challenge the best and allow the most inexperienced shooters to have a great time as well.

Have fun.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:41 pm 

Sorry, after corresponding with Tim and George today I realize I need to make a correction. There will be three divisions as follows: WFT Piston, WFT PCP and a Hunter division. The scoring for the Piston and PCP divisions is based on one point for a hit when the target falls and zero for a miss. The scoring for the Hunter division is 2 points for a knockdown, 1 point for a hit on the target and zero for a complete miss. Any youth attending should fall into one of the divisions but there will be awards for the top 3 shooters. There are some interesting rules for the Hunter division. For example optical sights cannot be set higher than 16X magnification and all distance markings have to be covered. The great thing about the division is that any air gun design is allowed. Also, if you happen to read this Tim and find that I have posted incorrect information please feel free to comment or clarify my points. I still have a lot to learn and I don't mind feedback at all :D

Barb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:23 pm 

8) - glad to see you back Barb - 8)
Totally awesome to hear you have things up and ready to go
I will send a pm to the AIR FT gang and all the others I have on my list
I do have plans for that weekend so I really really hope you will be having alot more
I do indeed want to go to some of them for sure
Brian

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:04 pm 

Might be worth mentioning that the WFTF Division is regulated to a maximum power of 12 ft/lb, while the limit for Hunter Division is 20 ft/lb. So for 12 ft/lb, if using an 8.4 grain pellet, velocity could not exceed 802 fps. For 20 ft/lb this same pellet could be up to 1035 fps and a 10.3 pellet up to 935 fps. The highest velocity does not always yield the best accuracy and many experienced shooters tune their Open and hunter guns to between 17 and 18 ft/lb.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:10 pm 

This is going to be a big learning curve - but really looking forward to it
Make sure to get lots of pics Barb
And let us know asap when the next one will be
I want to make sure I keep that day open
Brian

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:30 pm 

Unfortunately, I'm busy this weekend. I'm hoping to make one of your FT shoots. I've never been to one before, and it sounds like fun.

Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:00 pm 

17pepper wrote:
First of all HUGE apologies for my absence from the forum for the past several months. We have had to deal with a number of unanticipated events and it looks like we missed out on some great shoots. For a long overdue update ... I have had tons of problems with insurance issues and finally came to the conclusion that we will have to take our chances with waiver forms only. It has been almost impossible to find an insurance company that will cover private property for shooting sports. We have been sourcing targets and have been REALLY fortunate to acquire some amazing custom made targets that are totally unique and built to last forever. With these details in place, we are finally ready to host a field target match on our farm in Hanna. I have been trying to co-ordinate a date with my brother George from Ontario. I wanted him here for the first shoot in order to tap into his experience for setting up the range and to act in the capacity of match director. We want to kick off with a match following the CAFTA guidelines so ... I'm VERY sorry for the short notice but at the last minute George was able to book a flight to Alberta this week! This is the only time this summer that he is able to come and therefore we will be hosting our first official Hanna Field Target match this Sunday, July 1 rain or shine. I realize that almost everyone will have already made plans but if you are able to attend and up for the drive:
There will be 3 divisions - Piston, PCP and open
9:00 - 11:00 am - arrival, practice and registration
11:00 am start, with a total out of 50 shots (we will break half way for a coffee etc. then finish up with beef on a bun and awards)
There are a lot more details including directions etc. but I will wait and see if this date is going to work for anyone first. Again, I am really sorry for the short notice!

Barb

Barb, welcome back!
sounds like fun for sure!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:13 am 

Sounds like a very interesting venue to be had.

pm sent

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:39 am 

Sounds like it should be an excellent days shooting, Barb. :D

DaveD :D

"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." ~ Theodore Roosevelt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:22 pm 

I wonder if having everyone join either the NFA or CSSA would address the insurance concerns. As both organizations have insurance that covers their members' shooting related activities, that might be easier than you getting insurance for events.

CFSC/CRFSC Instructor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:37 pm 

I will check that out. What a great idea!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:49 pm 

How did the meet go Barb
Any pics to share

Brian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:53 pm 

Hi Brian,

We had a small but very fun shoot! I am working on reducing the size of pics and then plan on posting some of them. Thanks for the interest and I hope to get the pics and a brief summary of the day posted in the next few days.

Barb

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:13 pm 

:D :D :D