Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:34 pm 

Hello, I tried this mod to check it out (removing the reset spring). The trigger pull now is greatly reduced. But am I missing something? Or do something wrong? Because now the trigger blade is a little loose in all directions, or is that normal when you remove spring (nothing else)? And how safe is the trigger now? I've done some test bumps in a safe direction and that cleared. Anyone have an accidental discharge after this mod?

I'm thinking I might put spring back on if trigger blade is supposed to be loose in all directions when not cocked. Also, can I try bending reset spring closer for lighter pull if reinstalled with success or will it eventually bend back to stock stiffness? I'm new at this and don't know too much, besides basic assembly/reassembly. Thanks for showing how!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:58 pm 

The play is always there because the trigger isn't always contacting the sear, just that you don't notice it when the spring props it forward. Without it you may also notice if you stop pulling your trigger halfway into a shot it will stay there and not reset forward, in which case you should read this: http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/ind ... ic=18419.0

If you are mechanically inclined just take the trigger apart and play with the levers and see how they interact, and you'll understand how everything works, it's actually very simple. (assuming you have the cast iron trigger, never seen the plastic one so I don't know how it works)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:29 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

peterdulux wrote:
$38.99 for trigger or remove spring for free. Hmmm Spring!!!

Can't correct the geometry by taking out a spring.

Unless someone compares the replacement trigger with these sorts of "adjustments" in a rifle side-by-side, people may get more than what they had, but not everything possible- they just don't know it. But, I understand "economical" may be the most important factor for some.

Please note: I do not conduct business through Private Messages (PM's) in online forums. Please do not send a 'PM" with a business-related question.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:06 pm 

M3ga3T wrote:
Hello, I tried this mod to check it out (removing the reset spring). The trigger pull now is greatly reduced. But am I missing something? Or do something wrong? Because now the trigger blade is a little loose in all directions, or is that normal when you remove spring (nothing else)? And how safe is the trigger now? I've done some test bumps in a safe direction and that cleared. Anyone have an accidental discharge after this mod?

I'm thinking I might put spring back on if trigger blade is supposed to be loose in all directions when not cocked. Also, can I try bending reset spring closer for lighter pull if reinstalled with success or will it eventually bend back to stock stiffness? I'm new at this and don't know too much, besides basic assembly/reassembly. Thanks for showing how!

I don't notice any looseness in my 2 rifles after the mod. Like I said, there is another albeit lighter spring in the trigger group that tensions the trigger.

I have never had an accidental discharge since I did the mod. I did the bump test quite rigorously 8)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:11 am 

Hey nice. Found this while looking back for Discovery info this morning. One cup of coffee later and my Quest 500 trigger is great for a no $ mod. I'm new here and sure like the endless amount of experience , knowledge, and information on this form.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:42 pm 

jzmtl wrote:

If you are mechanically inclined just take the trigger apart and play with the levers and see how they interact, and you'll understand how everything works, it's actually very simple. (assuming you have the cast iron trigger, never seen the plastic one so I don't know how it works)

Where can I obtain one of these cast iron triggers... if it will fit my circa 2008 .22 phantom with the stamped steel trigger?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:21 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

There is no cast iron trigger for Phantoms, they have always been stamped steel.

Some of the original Remington NP rifles had a cast trigger- but the rifles weren't sold very long and the trigger blade was never offered as a spare part (and the complete trigger block won't fit the B18/B19 platform).

http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

Please note: I do not conduct business through Private Messages (PM's) in online forums. Please do not send a 'PM" with a business-related question.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:57 pm 

Thanks Eric. I have installed the "soup can" trigger adjustment in my gun. I find it works great so I won't need a different trigger blade to mod after all.

Amazing how much easier it is to hit the bulls eye with a smooth, light trigger. I also just learned about the artillery hold so my shots have improved quite a bit in the last 2 days.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:18 am 

A safety update I should have mentioned- Although removing the spring does help a tiny fraction, its best just to get the GTX, if you love your gun that much & wish to improve on it. i too tried a few different "washer mod" sizes. After finding one I liked, and "worked", I shot my Phantom quite a bit. Until one day, it got dangerous. My girlfriend was loading a pellet, as soon as she locked the barrel, the Phantom fired prematurely. Straight into our wall! I test fire & what not out my back window (into a wooded area). After that I tried (gently cocked the gun), gave a bump test into a safe area... Same thing, fired as a result of a bump.

I don't know what happened? Trigger mechanism wearing in? So I quickly took the washer out. Before this happened, I also tried the washer "mod" on my Trail, didn't cock no matter what! Now I just accept the stock triggers for what they are (w/o spring).

After this experience, my suggestion is get the trigger. Don't risk it. Losing an eye's not worth it, neither is accidentally hurting someone. If you enjoy this sport/hobby and like your gun and wish to improve on your shooting experience, go for the GTX. It'll change your Crosman/Benjamin (etc.) into a new, more enjoyable airgun. Looks cool too.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:55 am 

M3ga3T wrote:
A safety update I should have mentioned- Although removing the spring does help a tiny fraction, its best just to get the GTX, if you love your gun that much & wish to improve on it. i too tried a few different "washer mod" sizes. After finding one I liked, and "worked", I shot my Phantom quite a bit. Until one day, it got dangerous. My girlfriend was loading a pellet, as soon as she locked the barrel, the Phantom fired prematurely. Straight into our wall! I test fire & what not out my back window (into a wooded area). After that I tried (gently cocked the gun), gave a bump test into a safe area... Same thing, fired as a result of a bump.

I don't know what happened? Trigger mechanism wearing in? So I quickly took the washer out. Before this happened, I also tried the washer "mod" on my Trail, didn't cock no matter what! Now I just accept the stock triggers for what they are (w/o spring).

After this experience, my suggestion is get the trigger. Don't risk it. Losing an eye's not worth it, neither is accidentally hurting someone. If you enjoy this sport/hobby and like your gun and wish to improve on your shooting experience, go for the GTX. It'll change your Crosman/Benjamin (etc.) into a new, more enjoyable airgun. Looks cool too.

Thanks for the warning for the washer mod, but it has nothing to do with this mod, which is perfectly safe.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:33 am 

The washer mod is the same as turning the adjusting screw all the way in. It just shortens the sear engagement and makes a dangerous hair trigger.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:45 am 

Best $40 I spent on my Phantom. Never tried the spring mod so I can.t comment on it. I sure got my $40 worth with the new trigger.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:42 pm 

With the removal of the spring, does the entire trigger assembly need to be removed from the action, or can it remain in place for the work that needs to be done?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:40 pm 

Can stay in place. After removing stock, just need to remove 1 e-clip.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:10 am 

Thanks, M3ga3T. I just took it apart, removed the spring...and what a difference it makes! I'm in love with the lighter weight. No so much in love with the looseness of the trigger though...

Bottom line: If you're strapped for cash, this is a phenomenal mod. If you'd like to do things "right"...just get the damn GTX (which I'll be doing in January).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next