Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:23 pm 

I have never put my credit card on the internet and I am wondering if it is safe enough to do so with D&L, Scopes and Ammo,etc.Any hassles or suspicious charges? Either that or I'll use a money order but that doubles the wait.Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:26 pm 

MyCrosman wrote:
I have never put my credit card on the internet and I am wondering if it is safe enough to do so with D&L, Scopes and Ammo,etc.Any hassles or suspicious charges? Either that or I'll use a money order but that doubles the wait.Thanks

I have dealt with both and they are straight up honest dealers...you have no worries

Dave[/color]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:45 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:21 pm 

I used to be nervous about putting my credit card information out there either via a website page or by phone but I've since become quite comfortable. I've ordered from D&L, Scopes and Ammo and Air Gun Source without any issues. If you prefer some sellers use EMT payment.

Another tip is to use a second credit card with a minimal limit for online purchases. That's what I do.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:23 pm 

I have dealt with them too and had no problem. If the little green padlock is showing on the top left corner you can put in your card info without fear.
You can also get a refillable or pre-paid card. You put the amount needed on the card, use it to buy what you want and there's only a few dollars left on it so no one can charge much on it if the number or card is lost or stolen.

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:24 pm 

D&L is perfectly safe, I have done credit charge purchases with them time and time again.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:43 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

SureShot wrote:
Another tip is to use a second credit card with a minimal limit for online purchases. That's what I do.

I do the same thing. You wouldn't believe the reaction of the lady on the phone when I asked to REDUCE my limit. I guess they are used to people asking for increases all the time. I had to explain it to her for her to understand.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:46 pm 

If you're worried, just use a pre-paid credit card.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:07 pm 

It's no riskier than using your card anywhere else, which is to say not very.

CFSC/CRFSC Instructor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:02 am 

Ok..thanks everyone.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:42 am 

Most, if not all credit cards are protected from on-line theft. Check with your provider.
As far as ciber-space safety, every time you use your card, it's information is sent over the internet to the card's office. 128 bit (or higher? nowadays?) incription prevents it's theft en-route.
The shops noted are all good.
As far as ordering over a phone goes, this is less safe IF your phone is not hard wired, ie: remote in the house. It is best to use a hard wired phone so no one can listen in and write down your card numbers as you spell them out.
Cell phones are also easily 'hacked'.
I certainly hope the shops I do business with over the phone, use hard wired phones, not remotes or cell phones. Might be a good idea to check that by asking.
I've bought MANY thousands of $$ of shooting supplies over the phone and now the internet, mail ordering, since 1978 - all over North america and from England as well. I've never had a card charge over and above what I placed myself.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:47 pm 

You can also deal through PayPall for an extra level of security if you want; if you get scammed or the dealer in question doesn't send the goods on time, you can file a complaint and PayPall will freeze the other party's bank account(s) for the amount they owe.

I've had to do it once, definitely got that guy's attention :P
PayPall is somewhat unpopular for person to person selling because of their 3% dealer's fee...

Also, as the other guys have mentioned,, Email Money Transfer (EMT) is also pretty much foolproof. A lot of places take that now as well, as do most people that are selling their stuff second hand.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:10 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

Something to throw in that most people would not likely be aware of;

It is the specific dealer and their credit card processing company that needs to be trustworthy, not the idea of using a credit card "online".

Why?

Almost all credit cards are processed via the internet now- even when you're standing at a cash register in a Canadian Tire- their interface for the credit card approvals is through an online transaction system- i.e. the internet. The only time your credit card is not being processed via the internet is when you are dealing with an old-time manual calling-in by the store for an approval, or the ancient dial-in via the cash register credit card terminal (I think I've hit one of these at a store in the last year). The only difference to you or I is that we cannot "see" the system doing the processing- but it is still using the same structure as you would be on your internet browser typing it all in. If you don't have a virus on your computer capturing what you type into your keyboard- it's all the same thing whether you can "see" it or not. Credit cards are not any more-or-less secure to a purchaser if they are using it on the "internet" or not- it depends on whether or not the specific vendor is trustworthy more than anything.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:49 am 

Dan - I've never heard of EMT - e-mail transfer? Please advise wrhe to find out about this.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:10 pm 

EMT is available in Canada for bank to bank money transfers.

You go on-line to your bank and go to the Interac Email Transfer section and put in the email address of the person you are sending the $ to; and a security question...and he will receive the $ after he answers the security question.

Easy and reliable.

8)