Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:35 pm 

Hey fellow airgunners,

Every 4 to 5 months, I take all my airguns out of the cabinet and I put a bit of RWS chamber oil on seals and piston seals, I put regular gun oil on pivoting pieces etc. and I also carefully clean the barrells of my guns. The thing is I am always afraid I am going to damage rifling with the cleaning the barrell part and I never felt it changed anything accuracy wise. Sure, the cleaning wads come out dirty at first but so would they after only a few pellets trough a clean barrel. So I am wondering, should I clean the barrells or not?

Your advices are much welcome gentlemen

Gilbert

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:50 pm 

I think you are doing it about right. I have read that airguns typically require almost no cleaning of the bore but I had one which went from awful to excellent plus after a very very thorough cleaning. It just would not come clean so I finally used a bronze bore brush and that finally broke up whatever was fouling the bore.

I always clean from the chamber end if I can. If I can't then I am careful. Now that I think about it, neither cleaning from the muzzle or bronze brushes seem to have ever harmed a gun of mine including air guns. Still I will go by the common wisdom and use the brushes sparingly and clean from the chamber.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:14 pm 

Clean! Use a grass trimmer line to pull through cotton T-shit patches first wet with Goo Gone or Simple Green, then dry patches until they come out clean. A dirty bore can take 10-20 patches to clean up. The plastic line and cotton patches won't scratch your bore. I just made a loop about 2" long at one end of the line and stuck it in some heat shrink tubing to form an eye. I bet 500 patches have gone through my various rifles with this and it's holding up 100%, and it never lets go of a patch either. I tried the "melt a blob on the end of the line" method, but found it pulled out of the cotton patch more times than not. Here is my "kit", it works for .177 and .22 *just make the cotton patches smaller for .177.

Duke ))))----//----------==

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:22 pm 

Thanks for your input guys,

Duke, I have Hope's powder burner gun degreaser. Can I use this instead of goo gone ?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:33 pm 

Gillis wrote:
Thanks for your input guys,

Duke, I have Hope's powder burner gun degreaser. Can I use this instead of goo gone ?

Gill, I don`t know for sure, but what I understand is powder burner cleaners are formulated to remove gunpowder residue. It may be harsh for an airgun barrel, and if it's combustible, your first few shots will smoke after.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:44 pm 

Actually the way I do it is with felt cleaning pellets. I push them using a dewey coated rod. I soak the first pellet in rws spring oil to lubricate and coat the barell and after i use clean felt pellets until they come out clean. It takes about 10 to 12 of them before they seem kind of clean. Of course this method goes fine with break barrels but with my HW97K, I have to clean from the muzzle to the breach which is contrary to what should be done. Maybe I should use Duke's system instead. I just like using the felt pellets they seem to clean allright but of course they need a rod to push them and cannot be pulled trough.

Gilbert

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:48 pm 

To clean the 97 from breach to muzzle, you need to push a drinking straw up the muzzle end, otherwise the whacker line gets hung up on the innards.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:52 pm 

Duke: Are you using .080 trimmer line? I guess it would have to be to double it over at the end and still fit a .177 barrel.

I made one out of trolling line, there is a good tube video that shows how to make it.

Crosman 2240

"Boredom sets into the boring mind." - James Hetfield

- Derek

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:54 pm 

I believe my line is .065".

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:55 pm 

If you want to clean the barrel, you need to use something other than oil. Hoppes no.9 will dissolve lead and copper from the inside of the barrel. Just be careful not to get it on any seals. Follow up the Hoppes with some dry patches and then some oil to prevent rusting.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:56 pm 

If you have the coated rod avoid the grass trimmer line, it can be used to cut stone and if it rubs against metal it can cut thru it too. Some people love it, I don't. I'm not willing to take the risk.
You should clean the barrels only when you start losing accuracy. Olympic shooters never clean their barrels so if it's good enough for them it should be good for us too :wink:
Hope's gun oil is not good at all, it will destroy your seals.

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:02 pm 

DocGadget wrote:

Last I checked, there are no seals inside the barrel.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:05 pm 

Has anyone tried rem oil to clean the barrel?

Crosman 2240

"Boredom sets into the boring mind." - James Hetfield

- Derek

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:08 pm 

STR8 Shot wrote:
Has anyone tried rem oil to clean the barrel?

It is an oil, not a cleaner. I use it to prevent rust in all my guns. Works great.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:09 pm 

idontknowjack wrote:
DocGadget wrote:

Last I checked, there are no seals inside the barrel.

Depends on the barrel and there a seal around every break barrel... well barrel.
If it's convenient just getting the o-ring out of the way before cleaning could do it?

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun