Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:50 pm 

I am also going to SHOT. We should meet up there and say hi.

Not sure you will get to see many FT rifles at SHOT - normally only Walther and Anschutz have some 10m rifles at SHOT show.

Let's chat closer to the time - would be nice to meet you there in person.

Cheers

Robbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:53 pm 

see you there! dhb and I are at the Venetian. will PM you closer to show.

Air Arms FTP900
Air Arms TX200 MK III
CFSC/CRFSC Instructor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:11 pm 

What Robbie said! :D My first FT gun was an AA S400 classic, and it served me well. After that I had an MPR, then a Daystate (for a very short time, not happy with the electronics) then an EV2 MK3 and finally the Steyr which I still have. What I can add about the EV2, is that it is a bulky and unwieldy beast, and it always felt "tippy" and "nose heavy" to me. I'm not the biggest guy (exactly 6ft in my boots) so bigger guys may find it more comfortable.

I have never even picked up an AR 20FT, but from what I've heard from guys who have them, it sounds like it may be a pretty decent copy of a Steyr. Me personally: If a new Steyr was out of my budget, I would shop around for a used Steyr. One of the biggest reasons for this is the super back-up that Steyr gives.

More on that later, but I'm expecting a package from Steyr in the mail as we speak!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:00 am 

Used Steyrs in Canada are going to be something of a rarity, given that only the Port Colbourne guys have been shooting FT for a while.

I talked with Martin at Rapid Air Weapons and they will not be exhibiting at SHOT, only attending. He wasn't aware of any of his dealers planning to have the TM1000 on display at SHOT.

For the Canadian market the TM1000 will only be available with the stainless shroud as the method of attaching the carbon fiber one at the muzzle end means there's no way to avoid its sound reducing feature.

CFSC/CRFSC Instructor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:29 pm 

Wouldnt bother with TM1000 its just a copy of an outdated Rapid from the late 80's.
Two fundamental reasons the current US champ changed, crap trigger and massive hammer stroke.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:26 pm 

Old Van wrote:
What Robbie said! :D My first FT gun was an AA S400 classic, and it served me well. After that I had an MPR, then a Daystate (for a very short time, not happy with the electronics) then an EV2 MK3 and finally the Steyr which I still have. What I can add about the EV2, is that it is a bulky and unwieldy beast, and it always felt "tippy" and "nose heavy" to me. I'm not the biggest guy (exactly 6ft in my boots) so bigger guys may find it more comfortable.

I started with a S410 in a walnut MPR FT stock using mildots and a Tasco 6-24x50, then moved to a EV2 with Nikko Diamond using rangefinding/clicking. The EV2 is a big gun, but I like that, easy to hold and support, and can be adjusted to fit like a glove...

I am also a bit bigger 6'4" without shoes, I made a new buttpad swivel plate the gun as well which allows me to lower the buttpad much lower...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:50 pm 

Holy Damn!! I am in Las vegas until the 11th for the CES show, I will just miss the SHOT Show.

S&W 357
SDVE9
Baretta Neos

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:32 pm 

If you are going to the Shot Show you will not be able to try, just handle.
Even if the rifle feels ok you wont be able to tell other attributes.

For instance you may not like the trigger and tortoise slow lock time on a TM, its outdated by over two decades. If they were any good we might see one being used, that speaks volume.
With the AR20 it can be updated or modded as you wish. Nothing like buying a £3K rifle to junk the aluminium stock and have one made adding to the cost. AR20 was £510 here.

If you change the AA stock you need to go for fit rather than looks. Sadly 99% of stocks made are that way bearing no resemblance to intended use. Even better, why not make a stock yourself?