Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Hamerli AR 20 FT
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:14 am 

Hi guys
I just like to know if anyone has bought this gun yet?
The plastic stock looks flimsy at the back end, if anyone has a clue what the gun is all about, please post it right here

Thanks
Biagio

Post subject: Re: Hamerli AR 20 FT
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:15 am 

Search AR20FT on the forum and you'll find lots of info. I'm quite happy with mine. The buttstock probably wouldn't stand up to repeatedly butt stroking zombies, but if you're target shooting it's fine.

CFSC/CRFSC Instructor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:20 pm 

Biagio26 wrote:
Hi guys
I just like to know if anyone has bought this gun yet?
The plastic stock looks flimsy at the back end, if anyone has a clue what the gun is all about, please post it right here

Thanks
Biagio

hello friend
I am of Jalisco, Mexico.
...many of us in my City have this rifle of air of the mark Hammerli AR20FT. this rifle is excellent since for the price it is also economic of buying, like you know some pieces they are made of Aluminum and others are made of plastic.
The rifle is generally good he/she makes very good groups to 45 yards (41 meters) I have but of one year with this rifle and it has worked me perfectly for he/she practices it of the Field Target and I also practice the shot to Mexican Silhouette Metallic at official distances as 20,30,36 and 45 Yards. demolishing the silhouettes very well and with good very closed shots using ammunition lime. 4.5 of the mark Crosman of 7.9 Grains.

I recommend the rifle a lot AR20 FT to use it in Field target and Mexican silhouette.
greetings from the land of tequila.
maanch +

Spanish:
hola amigo
Soy de Jalisco, México.
...muchos de nosotros en mi ciudad tenemos este rifle de aire de la marca Hammerli AR20FT. este rifle es excelente ya que por el precio tambien es economico de comprar, como sabes unas piezas son de Aluminio y otras son de plastico.
Generalmente el rifle es bueno hace grupos muy buenos a 45 yardas ( 41 metros ) tengo mas de un año con este rifle y me ha funcionado perfectamente para la practica del Field Target y tambien practico el tiro a Silueta Metalica Mexicana a distancias oficiales como 20,30,36 y 45 Yards. derribando muy bien las siluetas y con buenos disparos muy cerrados utilizando municion cal. 4.5 de la marca Crosman de 7.9 Grains.

recomiendo mucho el rifle AR20 FT para usarlo en Field target y silueta Mexicana.
saludos desde la tierra del tequila.
maanch +

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:29 pm 

Thanks for the tips.
One more thing, do you guys think this rifle can out shoot a rifle like the Air Arms EV2?

I'm very seriously thinking of buying one. The only thing that concerns me is that I'm comparing apples to pears; and not apples to apples.

Please give some advice.

Thanks
Biagio

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:01 am 

Biagio26 wrote:
Thanks for the tips.
One more thing, do you guys think this rifle can out shoot a rifle like the Air Arms EV2?

Thanks
Biagio

As a general rule of thumb, Biagio "You get what ya pay for" and i think the Hammerlli is about 1/2 the price of the EV2.

Is the question you are asking "Is the Hammerlli more consistant than an EV2?". Personally, and this is only my opinion, I would be extremely doubtful of this.

Probably not the answer you were looking for I suspect but having said that, If you bought the Hammerlli and couldn't "get along with it" I doubt very much if you would have much difficulty selling it.

DaveD :D

"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." ~ Theodore Roosevelt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:54 am 

"Can it out shoot an EV2"........... That depends on what you mean by outshoot. I know from personal experience that the one dhb shoots in Ottawa is not at a disadvantage when shooting FT targets at FT distances. It's every bit as capable of knocking over every target as anything else out there if he does his part.
If you mean will it shoot tiny little groups all day with no deviation then I don't know as we've never tested it for that. I have an Air Arms MPR FT that I have tested for accuracy and I can tell you it's amazing from a bench. I still miss a whole lot of targets at the FT matches I shoot at. Never once have I thought that the gun was the reason I missed. I know I'm the weak link!
I didn't go with the AR20FT at the time because I found it too heavy (which may actually be a plus for FT shooting) and the thought of pumping it up to 300 BAR wasn't appealing to me.
If the price is not a factor I would choose the EV2 only because I tend to like British guns as a personal preference. That said, I have just ordered a Rapid Air Weapons TM1000 for next year just to try something new. They run about the same price as an EV2 so it will be a fair comparison.

Air Arms FTP900
Air Arms TX200 MK III
CFSC/CRFSC Instructor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:47 am 

blade57 wrote:
Biagio26 wrote:
Thanks for the tips.

Thanks
Biagio

As a general rule of thumb, Biagio "You get what ya pay for" and i think the Hammerlli is about 1/2 the price of the EV2.

Is the question you are asking "Is the Hammerlli more consistant than an EV2?". Personally, and this is only my opinion, I would be extremely doubtful of this.

Probably not the answer you were looking for I suspect but having said that, If you bought the Hammerlli and couldn't "get along with it" I doubt very much if you would have much difficulty selling it.

DaveD :D

X2

I have never shot a gun more accurate and consistent than my EV2, but as BJP said the gun is only as accurate as the shooter can be. From a unsupported FT sitting position I can put 5-shots anywhere from .080"-.120" CTC at 10-15yds, at 55yds more like .250"-.400" CTC. This is basically on par with any high end gun you can buy from $2000-$4000 ie; Anschutz, Feinwerkbau, Steyr, Walther etc

The AR20 FT looks to be a copy of the Steyr I am guessing? While it appears to be a great gun for the money it is still a copy of something its not. There are many good copies of many guns out there, but are the copies as good as the guns they mimic and/or guns on par with what they are mimicking? simple, honest answer is; no. When you get something at less than half (probably less than a third) the price of the "original" it is obvious there have been cost cutting measures taken.

This will usually show in the quality of materials, replacing metal with plastic and changing process/operations done various parts of the gun. Many of these things are what drive the cost and quality/performance of high end guns, precision and attention to detail as well as top quality materials throughout.

Don't get me wrong here, I am not saying the AR20's are no good, they seem to be great guns. But many people like to say how high-end guns aren't worth the money or you are just paying for the name, these are usually the same people who do not own any of these guns and have little to no experience with them. I believe you do pay for the name to some extent, but just like anything; you pay a quality product, from a reputable company that has built itself up on its name, so of course you pay for the name on something as it determines how much you can trust the quality of their product...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:20 am 

Unless you're a contender for winning the world championships you wouldn't notice any difference, if there actually is any difference to notice. The AR20FT performance per $ is astounding. However, as in any game that is played with equipment, many guys will happily pay 100-300% more for a tool that they think may be 1% better (even if they're routinely 20% behind the match winner).

That being said, I've bought a Falcon T50, Rowan Engineering accessories for the new scope and Sportsmatch adjustable mounts because in some light conditions there was too much light bloom in the Walther scope that comes with the AR20. Spending $3 on black hockey tape for the top of the shroud helped quite a bit with the OEM setup, but not enough to please me, so I've spent as much on the optics upgrade as I did on the original rifle/scope combo. Perhaps I should have tried a scope shade made of black construction paper and elastic bands before spending an extra $1000. Clearly, I have too much money and not enough sense. :oops:

CFSC/CRFSC Instructor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:09 pm 

Would be great to go to the worlds, I took first in WFTF PCP at the CAFTA Nationals this year (with continuing practice) it would really be fun to compete and chat with the best from around world...

In any case BTT, I hope see more reviews and even better do some testing with a AR20. Seems like a good gun for a good price, my girlfriend also says it looks cool and she wants one...:cool:

Any chance of you coming down to a Port Colborne match?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:16 pm 

I plan to be at the Nationals. If you're ever in Ottawa, you're welcome to check out Hammerli.

CFSC/CRFSC Instructor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:32 pm 

undoubtedly if we compare an EV2 vs AR20 and we all know that both have power regulated 16 Joules to compete officially in Field Traget.
... logically I would keep the EV2.

the EV2 has a lot of quality in everything as well as better presicion that an AR20

I buy the AR20 to be economic and I can say that it is not so exelent as an EV2, but neither it is a bad rifle and it completes their work in the competitions.

let us remember that many times not everything depends on the weapon....also depend on the shooter.

greetings to all!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:12 pm 

BJP wrote:
"Can it out shoot an EV2"........... That depends on what you mean by outshoot. I know from personal experience that the one dhb shoots in Ottawa is not at a disadvantage when shooting FT targets at FT distances. It's every bit as capable of knocking over every target as anything else out there if he does his part.
If you mean will it shoot tiny little groups all day with no deviation then I don't know as we've never tested it for that. I have an Air Arms MPR FT that I have tested for accuracy and I can tell you it's amazing from a bench. I still miss a whole lot of targets at the FT matches I shoot at. Never once have I thought that the gun was the reason I missed. I know I'm the weak link!
I didn't go with the AR20FT at the time because I found it too heavy (which may actually be a plus for FT shooting) and the thought of pumping it up to 300 BAR wasn't appealing to me.
If the price is not a factor I would choose the EV2 only because I tend to like British guns as a personal preference. That said, I have just ordered a Rapid Air Weapons TM1000 for next year just to try something new. They run about the same price as an EV2 so it will be a fair comparison.

Congrats on the new toy. Does this mean it was time to clean the MPR. :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:56 pm 

Clearly there is some issues with the AR20
From What I can see the gun comes from an old Walther L30 universal.

I will still buy the EV2, since I love my Air arms rifles. I was just thinking about buying a new gun, but my Little AA S200 shoot hole in hole at 30y, what the heck do I need more for. I like to buy an Ev2 maybe 2014, we'll see.

Thanks guys for all the tips. The only problem I have with the AR20FT is the plastic stock, maybe you can remove it and make one out of wood, don't know

Thanks guys

Biagio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:20 pm 

Hey Guys

I think I will go with the EV2. But for now, I bought a Ginb Ft no7 stock for my S200. I guess I will have to shoot the little gun for now, but will eventually buy the EV2.

I will be attending the Canadian Nationals in July 2013
Hope I can find the place since I will be flying from here to Toronto
and drive from there to Port Colborne. You guys have any suggestions where to stay close to the range.

I think I will love shooting with some of the best shooters on the East coast.

Thanks for all the tips guys

Biagio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:05 pm 

Judging by your signature you chose the EV2 :mrgreen:

How do you like it? :)