Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: backlit target
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:36 am 

In practising at home where I don't have a pulley retrieval setup for my targets like at the club, I sometimes use a pair of binoculars to check my progress between changing paper. Either hand held or on a tripod like a spotting scope. But this is obviously not very convenient, a bit distracting really, when I should be focused on my shooting form. For the past few months I've actually shifted away from using my 10metre course at home anyway, as in winter there's no leaf cover from the walnut tree in the back yard, and neighbours might start noticing me changing targets in my trap which is in a sort of plastic tunnel off the porch, through the bathroom window... city life, what can you do? Anyway, I've been training more at 4metres than anything else. Just shooting tiny black dots in my workshop. Sometimes I use scaled 7metre black spots when I'm being more formal about it, shooting from the bathroom through the hallway and past a bunch of violins and basses to a trap in the corner of the storage/living room. Seeing what's happening in either of those cases is difficult, as they're too close for binocular focus and yet too far for me to clearly see how my shots are landing.

The target I'm showing today is that 7metre one. But I've modified the trap somewhat, so that now there is a small LED shining up from the bottom of the trap. Briefly, this trap is a box slightly bigger than a standard 10m pistol target paper, with a 1" maple backing board and a surround on 3 sides of 1/4" plexiglas. In front there's a sheet of cardboard to help contain the sound of impacts on the steel, lead-backed pellet stop, which is angled downwards about 15 degrees. Foam is inserted up top, again to damp sound. There's putty stuffed behind the lead/steel stop, putty in the bottom to catch the pellets after they smash flat on the steel and bounce downwards. In the middle of the bottom, just behind the cardboard, I've drilled a small hole for a dollar store LED light. It's a USB thing, meant to plug into laptop USB ports and light up keyboards using a foot long gooseneck. I wouldn't plug anything from a dollar store into my PC... but it works just fine from any 5volt USB power source so I run it from a small solar/battery block used for charging cellular phones. The light sticks up through the plastic base and putty and shines onto the middle of the steel stop plate.

Here's the result, shown in an animated GIF made from a video of 15 shots taken at 7metres with my Baikal 46m (with my sights adjusted for the shorter than standard range).

Attachment:
backlit_target.gif
backlit_target.gif [ 343.31 KiB | Viewed 720 times ]

The point being that every shot which breaks paper is fairly easily visible from where I'm shooting. Makes it a whole lot easier to just stand in one spot and shoot, not getting distracted or having to reset my stance after checking a scope. The angle of the backing plate is such that the flattened pellets, while still travelling fairly quickly, don't hit the LED bulb but land about an inch behind it in the putty. Every couple of hundred shots I can pull out the cardboard and paper to empty pellets and little circles of target paper. No need to change the whole paper at this range, so I just cut a couple of slits and use small inserts stamped with a black circle, the paper being the unused edges of targets I shoot at 10m at the club. Every target yields 8 usable small targets, so I'm able to get at least 90 shots per target for training and still have a good idea how my groups are progressing. Not a great group in this session of course. Too self-conscious about recording it. That's really distracting. Makes me wonder how well I'll shoot if I ever make it to the international level and know there are cameras on my targets... yikes!

Post subject: Re: backlit target
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:57 am 

very nice idea. I'll have to try that myself.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:56 am 

That Animated GIF would make an excellent Avatar :!:

DaveD :D

"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." ~ Theodore Roosevelt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:45 pm 

That's very smart. My old indoor range used moving backers so you could verify that the bullet/pellet went through the same hole. We had our spotting scopes on proper tripods, not camera tripods, to verify your shot. Really ingenious! Thinking I need to make something similar with a drawer you can pull out and empty the pellets.

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:19 pm 

Yesterday I happened to be at Ming Wo to buy a new flour sifter (my wife murders the dang things somehow) and happened to see a pyramidal baking mould. 5" square base, 1mm thick stainless steel, with a 54 degree angle so it ought to funnel sub-500fps pellets backward quite easily. 1mm is a bit thin but a point-blank test shot showed no deformation. The pellet came back at me, but that's no surprise as it's a closed shape. So I chopped off the top bit of the pyramid, leaving a 3/4" square hole, and fired a bunch of shots point-blank at various positions, using a cardboard 'target' clamped to the open end and jamming the back end into putty. After 15 shots there wasn't any ricochet denting on the inside face of the cardboard and all the pellets were embedded in the putty square at the bass, jammed under the edges of the bit of putty protruding actually as they were trying to get out the back.

So i think I've found my next backstop. The stainless is certainly shiny, so it'll reflect any small LED shining in from the front. I'll make a deeper box, coat the pyramid in epoxy and fiberglass cloth to make it a bit tougher for long term use and to damp the ringing (it's LOUD!) then when finished everything else put a layer of putty around that to further quiet the thing. Including a downward-curving piece of steel 1/8" bar at the epoxy/fiberglass stage will make all the lead flying through the hole bounce down into a collection can. Keeping a layer of pellets in that should absorb any residual energy from my 9's and 10's getting through the middle hole and bouncing straight down. I can buff the impact side of that steel so it'll pick up the LED as well.

It'll be nice not to have to clean pellets out of putty at all any more. And since the pyramid is bigger than the 3 ring on standard 10m targets it's unlikely I'll ever miss that, but still, will probably use at least 1/4" plywood for the box (which I have to make anyway so there's something to hold the paper and the pellet collecting can and pyramid all together) in case I feeb out and shoot a zero. Putting the board at the back of the pyramid would allow stuffing all around it with rags, probably completely eliminating sound there, while keeping the back open for dumping the can every couple of thousand shots. And with the LED shining from the front at the bottom, between paper and pyramid, there should be zero danger of it ever taking a hit from pellets as there might be with an odd bounce in my current setup.

I'll post pictures here when that's done, if it seems interesting enough. The current trap really doesn't rate for looks so won't bother. Hey, if you wanna use that GIF for an avatar I have no complaints. Might want to toss it into a GIF editor though and chop it down to just the black circle. Or make your own. I use Easy GIF Animator and import JPG frames, after dumping those and picking the frames I want in VirtualDub. There's probably an easier way, but the results are at least small files and there's a lot of editing options in Easy GIF for scaling and framerate and such.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:11 pm 

Well, I got around to building a small trap box for inside practice at 5 metres, using that stainless steel pyramid thing from the baking shop. It works well enough so long as I hit within the black of a scaled target - black at 5 metres scaled is about 1" diameter. But shots landing in any of the 4 corners of the pyramid outside that, especially around the 2 or 3 ring, tend to bounce straight back at me through the paper. With a cardboard backing that's minimized for a few dozen shots... but not exactly safe. Luckily I don't land any outside the black any more. So the little box is fine for practice sessions upstairs in the evenings when I don't want to bug my downstairs neighbours 2 floors below. But it wouldn't work at the full 10 metres, as I do still hit the odd 7 at full range and a 7 on a proper 10 metre target will bounce right back out of the corners. Don't pretend to understand the physics of that bounce. It really comes back fast, with one of my test shots hitting me in the hand hard enough to sting a little at 1 metre distance and without a target in place, when I was carefully shooting every part of the bare stainless to check for that sort of nonsense.

So I would suggest if anyone's planning on building a funnel type trap, consider either going to a much heavier gauge (if that's the problem... not sure, but it seems likely the bounciness of 1mm stainless in the corners is a factor) or using a round funnel. No corners to bounce out of.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:45 pm 

I just bought this .22lr trap by Champion. I wonder if you could put the LED at the bottom and aim it up to back lite the trap?

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:10 pm 

Don't see why not. Use a cheap thing first in case a bounced pellet breaks it. But with the size of that trap there seems to be a lot of room along the front bottom edge to just clip a small light there. No need to modify the trap at all. If you're curious where bounced pellets are striking and they're not leaving marks on the paint on the trap base, just put a thin layer of putty down. Or even a sheet of paper would probably show some lead marks or small cuts. Then you could be more sure about light placement.