Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:04 pm 

So they are up significantly from the previous version....Right now on SWFA you can get a black T50 for $599. If they are moving them up over $800 that seems to be a steep increase....33%? I will have to keep an eye on the prices here.

-Casey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:50 pm 

Casey

Not not necessarily.... There are a lot of dynamics at play here.... I will try explain.

SWFA's price on the current black T50 is just crazy low.

They sell for GBP400 in the UK - that's the equivalent of $626 - I sold them for $750 and paid all the taxes over the 5% GST we charge in Alberta - so between another 7% and 10% if I shipped it out to Eastern Canada. I just charged customers a flat 5% GST, and "ate" the balance.

Also in the UK, there is NO shipping costs to get them from Falcon to the UK dealers, and no brokerage fees and no bank charges for overseas wire transfers. Also no currency conversion fees to deal with.

getting back to SWFA - they sell the Falcon 4-14 scopes for US$360 - I sell them for CA$389 or around US$384.

The dealer cost on the T50 black is 216% more than the dealer cost on the 4-14x44... Yet SWFA sells the T50 for only 66% more than the 4-14x44.... So they are definitely selling the T50's at a seriously discounted price - for whatever reason.

Also, Falcon have volume discounts in place. The max discounts are on a per order basis, and you have to order more than 64 units AT A TIME to get max discount (and that is mix and match between models) - something SWFA are easily able to do, given the huge market in the US. I would not sell 64 units in 2 years here. :)

Also, looking at costs involved - I order 2 or 3 units at a time of the T50's - just the bank wire transfer fees on 3 units runs $45 through RBC. Then I have mine shipped Fedex Express courier - at a cost of around $45-50 per unit. But I have mine 4 days after they are ordered. SWFA most probably do NOT courier their units - they would have them sent air freight in huge volumes - using air freight, the shipping costs come down to $4 per unit if 100 units are ordered and shipped together.

So you would be able to see that once adding brokerage, courier fees and not having the luxury of ordering more than 64 units PER ORDER, there is no way I can sell these scopes at such crazy low prices. My landed cost on a black T50 was more than what SWFA retails it at $599.

I would assume the correct price for SWFA to sell the new silver units, would probably be around the $770 mark - if they apply the exact same % margin they do to their 4-14x44 scopes.

Also, SWFA would not order T50 scopes as and when customers need it, and sell it for that low a price, as they would not get their normal bulk volume pricing on as-and -when orders. So you might not have your new silver T50 scopes in the shops next week - my T50's in silver will be here on Tuesday or Wednesday next week... :):)

Anyway, I hope the above sheds a little more light on pricing.

Cheers

Robbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:10 pm 

That explains a lot! I know you get the nice sidewheel and turret and some scope improvements so those items alone account for a good portion of the price increase. I'm not saying they aren't worth it but when it comes to $775 for a Falcon or $775 for a used Leupold 35x with lifetime warranty the decision gets a little harder. Granted the Leupold doesn't have a sidewheel but that can be fixed.

Thanks for the information! If you have the time or inclination can you find out if there would be return issues if I ordered from you in Canada? There's no guarantee SWFA or anybody else will carry the new T50 or if they do when?

-Casey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:40 pm 

Casey

Sending you a PM now... :)

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:19 am 

To all that wanted T50 scopes, good news - the scopes were shipped to me this morning.

I should have them on Monday. I will email all that ordered.

Cheers

Robbie

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:32 pm 

Casey, I just sent this to you in a PM, but I thought to post it here too - it might or might not benefit someone else...

Question was about using Leupold Competition scopes as they are really nice and lightweight...

Here goes:

"I have tried the Leup Comps, but I cannot come right with them for a few reasons, as follows:

- The reticles are WAY too fine, and in dark shaded areas or really heavy cloudy days or rainy days, you cannot see the reticle (and I still have great eyes)
- Because it has no "marks/dots" on the reticle, it's almost impossible to "hold off" for wind, as you have no reference depending how much the wind is blowing. With mildot scopes or scopes with some kind of "hashes/dots", you can hold off for wind.
- It's really difficult sometimes for target acquisition when using a fixed 35/40/45 mag scope. If the targets are in dark, shaded areas, you can sometimes waste precious time trying to find the scopes. More so when just getting it and trying to learn to shoot it. Once you are really well versed with it, it's less of an issue. Most of the best shooters in the world do NOT use Leupold Comp scopes because of above reasons...
- Most Leup Comp scopes I have had/used/seen, have quite a bit of POI shift. Go read the UK airgun forums (AirgunBBS, Shooting the Breeze etc) and you will find most of my comments there too.
- When Premier Reticles were still "boosting" and changing reticles on the Leupold scopes, they were really nice. Now few people use them in competitive shooting.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Robbie"