Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:34 am 

Thanks Gerald! Smart to keep all that tucked away!

All my book learning came from Lones Wigger and a few sessions at The Olympic Training Center in Colorado.
The rest of it from the US Army shooting team. Never had a lot of pistol shooting coaching but transferred what I know from rifle to pistol!

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:32 am 

GerardSamija wrote:
There's a lot you can train into yourself around visualization and consistency in stance and grip and overall timing/method. Do a lot of reading...

There's also this video called 'Pistol shooting basics by Efim Khaidurov' which is on Youtube, a bit big to put into the ZIP:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSW1sFMCMCs

Thank you again. I've started reading the pistol fundamentals and will go from there.

If you really do want to get it onto Pirate Bay you'll need to create a torrent for it, upload that torrent to Pirate Bay (requires an account), and then wait for people to download it from you and have copies. It's a little more involved than that but that's the general idea.

You'll also want to leave the files unzipped in a folder. A program such as utorrent can create the torrent file.

Sorry for turning this into the March Computer Chat..

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:53 am 

Meh, everything I have in that folder is available with a bit of Googling anyway, no real need to put up a torrent. It's not like my website hosting service is going to panic over the kind of bandwidth a few enthusiasts in a forum are likely to use.

So I went to the club tonight and shot a 'match' towards this thing. Some pretty messy targets, but one reasonably neat one at the end - scored them at 91, 90, 89, 91, 90, and 94, for a 545/600 total.Here's the last. Thought I was on track for a really nice single hole until the 7th shot jumped up into the 8 ring. Going to have to modify my grip, make it a bit deeper front to back, as the tendinitis is getting painful. Much more relaxed hold with the somewhat larger grip I made for the 46m. This was with the Pardini and a sort of stock-ish Rink large grip, which is actually kind of tiny. Think it's about the same size as a Morini medium, as I held one of those at the club tonight and it felt very similar.
Attachment:
March13-94.jpg
March13-94.jpg [ 51.68 KiB | Viewed 309 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:54 am 

Very nice, I'd love to put some groups together like that. I seem to be in one of those annoying backward slides at the moment. Need to put some quiet, steady practice in and hopefully come out the other side.

Having spent some time on my grips I've come to wonder why most pistols have such short front to back distances on the grip. I have small hands and still have to add a lot of material to get the depth right. On a 2240 it's about a cm of extra depth. Do they design these things for 5 year olds?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:08 pm 

EverHopeful wrote:
Very nice, I'd love to put some groups together like that. I seem to be in one of those annoying backward slides at the moment. Need to put some quiet, steady practice in and hopefully come out the other side.

Having spent some time on my grips I've come to wonder why most pistols have such short front to back distances on the grip. I have small hands and still have to add a lot of material to get the depth right. On a 2240 it's about a cm of extra depth. Do they design these things for 5 year olds?

Yeah they design them for average people.
Me, nothing fits! All my dress clothes are tailored TIlley brand clothes, and as you know that gets very expensive!
6'5" 230lb
37" inseam, 34" waist
37" long sleeve in a 48 sized jacket
8 1/8 sized hat.
13 sized glove

I have heard all the Orangutan jokes before! :o

Not a damn thing fits me off the rack!!!!

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Crosman 150 pistol .22

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:55 pm 

Unless one is dedicated enough so as to pay for tailored shirts, it's like a life sentence to short sleeves. I actually have better luck at thrift stores finding shirts with long enough sleeves than trying to find the same fit new. Guess some of us orangutans are rich enough or at least fashion conscious enough to pay for the tailoring... then hand nice stuff off to the sally ann and such places. My 'wingspan' is 6' 4" though I'm just 6' tall. Makes for weird shirt sizing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:35 pm 

GerardSamija wrote:
Unless one is dedicated enough so as to pay for tailored shirts, it's like a life sentence to short sleeves. I actually have better luck at thrift stores finding shirts with long enough sleeves than trying to find the same fit new. Guess some of us orangutans are rich enough or at least fashion conscious enough to pay for the tailoring... then hand nice stuff off to the sally ann and such places. My 'wingspan' is 6' 4" though I'm just 6' tall. Makes for weird shirt sizing.

Lol! Gerald!!!

Not that darn rich! The "boss" and i make a very comfortable living at just over $200k a year. No kids and land Rich!

I didn't find quality clothing till I moved to Canada and the "boss" took me into a Tilley store!

I am a shrub on most days as i am a machinist by trade now! Levi's and T-shirts, short sleeve of course!

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Crosman 150 pistol .22

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:41 pm 

Whoola, that was a fun day. Started out by giving the barrel a good cleaning - a worrying amount of crud came out. Then decided to drop the fps to about the 360 range to see how that would work out. Did some sighting in which didn't seem too bad and then started on a 60 shot practice. After two sets of six I gave up in disgust. Horrible groups sprayed all over the map. Set the gun back to 400 fps and started over. Scoring groups of six I started with 57, 57, 57, 56. Nearly had a heart attack. Visions of finally having made "the breakthrough" started going through my mind, at which point the magic/luck immediately evaporated. The rest of the groups ran 51, 56, 52, 54, 50, 50 for a total of 540. A new PB and (obviously) my first 540. Given the lucky start it somehow doesn't feel like the real deal, so I'm hoping I can repeat it a bit more convincingly :)

As usual, 10m AP, offhand, using a red dot sight. Score 540

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:48 pm 

End of the month is fast approaching, just a few days to get those scores in :)

Maybe I can get a set on the air hawk and take the rifle crown by dint of being the only entry. Oh the sad irony that would be! (I can't hit the side of a barn with the thing yet)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:13 pm 

I couldn't resist having a go with the air hawk. I used a 10m ISSF rifle target from Tom Girling's site, but shot rested with a 4x scope. Can't quite get my head around the idea that people shoot these tiny little targets offhand with iron sights, seems super-human to me. My score was very modest 430/600, so the bar is pretty low if anyone else wants a go :)

Since it was my first attempt with rifle, here it is for posterity:

Attachment:
IMG_3895.JPG
IMG_3895.JPG [ 144.32 KiB | Viewed 268 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:52 am 

Been a busy month but also have been working on the fundamentals without shooting pellets. Thanks again Gerard! Will try to post some scores for April. Glad to see this is still alive.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:05 am 

MrYellow wrote:
Been a busy month but also have been working on the fundamentals without shooting pellets. Thanks again Gerard! Will try to post some scores for April. Glad to see this is still alive.

I should do more of that, but I enjoy seeing the pellets hit the target :) I'm hoping to submit a score with open sights in the April session. I have some new glasses with +.75 compensation that seem to make it easier for me to hold focus than before. Should be fun!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:12 pm 

I just ran out of time this month with home renos! Still on vacation, just checking in briefly! 6 days in Eastern WA with family. Now up north on Vancouver Island camping till Sunday!. Stole the wife's iphone to get on the web. I usually leave all electronics at home when I go on Holidays!

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Crosman 150 pistol .22