Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Qb78 valve tune
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:27 pm 

Hello there, I am new to this forum and am just getting back into air guns. I have searched for the past hour trying to find out information as to how to tune a qb78 valve and haven't come up with anything. Could someone point me in the right direction, it would be most appreciated. I have a 3000psi bottle regulated to 1200psi that I will be using to get started. I have all the equipment to do the work, I lack the knowledge of what to do to get started! My thanks to anyone who get get me started in the right direction.
Jeff

Post subject: Re: Qb78 valve tune
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:32 pm 

reduce valve spring tension an 1/8" or so
remove the filter material and screen.
Space up the hammer spring say 1/4" , make a sleeve that fits over the guide and will easliy enter the hammer.
should get you there.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:43 pm 

I've found that the biggest restriction is getting more air into the valve.... At a minimum you need to remove the piercing pin and filters, the sleeve and washer.... That leaves the spring much too short, so you need to find a longer one, to reach all the way to the front of the valve.... Drill a shallow 5/16" recess there to locate the end of the spring....

There are a couple of ways to open up the front of the valve.... You can drill some holes, or mill or grind some slots in the sides of the front section, like this....

Note the change to the transfer port.... The stock port is often off center and squashed.... Both the valve and the breech have a small 1/4" diam. flat milled in them to accept a poly tubing transfer port.... The barrel port is opened up to match, and make it line up with the hole in the breech.... as they are often off center.... You can also carefully clean up the sharp change in direction in the valve exhaust port with a Dremel....

At 1200 psi, you shouldn't need to change the preload on the hammer spring, and in fact doing so will likely just waste air with little or no increase in velocity.... Shimming the hammer spring is only required to open the valve at higher pressures.... Replacing the flo-through bolt nose with an extended probe (3/32" diam. on a .22 cal is fine) will also increase the flow and add some velocity.... at the expense of less room to load the pellet....

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:51 pm 

What Walter said and also take out peircing pin, the steel tube and change brass valve stem for Delrin one. You can open up t/p in barrel and bolt also.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:35 am 

Is there any other type of valve work done if one will be using higher
pressures? I likely won't ever exceed 1500 psi but would like to know
How far one can go with the valve work. I am going to complete the valve work and
use the gun for awhile before I start looking at hammer springs etc. I don't mind if
the gun is a bit of a gas hog, better that then having to pull the gun all the way down
again for more valve work. Thanks, jeff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:07 am 

If you want to go more extreme on opening up the front of the valve, you can cut more away, like this....

Not only will the flow be less restricted, but you will gain a small amount of volume in the air reservoir as well.... Whether the additional available airflow will be of any benefit will depend on how well the air can get out of the valve and into the barrel.... In addition to the things I mentioned previously (valve exhaust port, transfer port, barrel port), you can also bore out the back of the valve slightly around the head of the poppet, and turn down and taper the head of the poppet....

You don't seem to have a very good understanding of how the hammer spring preload works.... If you use 1500 psi (your original post said 1200) you will have to increase the preload on the hammer spring to make any gain from the additional pressure.... Otherwise, increasing the pressure past about 1200 psi will decrease the velocity rather than increase it.... On the other hand, going too far on the preload will simply waste air.... At 1500 psi, between 1/16" and 3/16" (2-5 mm) should be about right with most QB springs.... Add washers (about 1 mm thick) until you don't gain any more velocity and then take one out.... Here is how preload affects velocity....

Note that as you add preload past a certain level the velocity no longer increases but the amount of air used does, and hence the efficiency (and number of shots) drops....

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:10 pm 

Thanks again for the info. I can see how important the spring preload is. Is there a solid design out
there utilizing a spring adjuster. The bolt hole goes straight through the middle of the endcap. I have looked and
really found one adjuster that 1. Looked like it would do the job 2. Looked OK on the gun.
Thanks,
Jeff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:35 pm 

If you modify the gun to "cock on open" then you can use a simple adjuster like this....

However, particularly if you use an extended bolt probe and shims on the hammer spring, you will have difficulty loading pellets.... That is the reason for the extra notch at the back of the bolt slot to hold the bolt open....

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:17 pm 

Modified striker solves the issue of loading room with cock on open. :)

Bottom one is in the QB79.

Al

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:08 pm 

I really like the power adjuster idea. I have it drilled and ready to go. I am trying to come
up with a knurled knob and lock idea. It will have to adjusted by Allen wrench or screwdriver,
Just thinking of a way to make flow with the rest of the gun. I haven't done the cock to open mod yet.
Maybe tommorow. I have the gun torn down and most of the above changes made. I started a new post
but I likely should have kept this going, new to forums and get lost on them pretty quick. I have ordered the
3000psi/1400psi output regulators from Jessie so I am committed at that pressure for now. What material do
you guys use for the valve plug seal. I want to still be able to run co2 in a pinch but am wondering if nylon or
Another material would be best used. Is there anybody in Canada making. Valve stem/plugs? Thanks for the help!
Jeff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:08 pm 

Al, I know the top striker is stock in a QB78.... are you saying the bottom one is stock in a QB79?.... I've never seen one like that....

Bob

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:41 am 

Bob? Could we link this with the One we started Sunday morning? I know you are not a moderator, but making this a sticky for the QB7X would help all the newbies like myself!

This one:
http://www.airgunforum.ca/forums/topic43563.html
and this:
http://www.airgunforum.ca/forums/topic55307.html?hilit=QB79

Oh Lauchlin?!?!?!
PLEASE!

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:15 pm 

Quote:
Is there anybody in Canada making valve stems/plugs?

Eric @ ScopesAndAmmo has them: http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/pro ... fles-p-886

Cheers,
Todd

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:10 am 

rsterne wrote:
Al, I know the top striker is stock in a QB78.... are you saying the bottom one is stock in a QB79?.... I've never seen one like that....

Bob

Sorry Bob, not sure how I missed this. :oops:

The 79 uses the same striker as the 78. The one at the bottom in the pic is one I made for my 79. The "nose" eliminates the extra travel from the re-positioned sear catch.

Al

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:39 am 

sholo wrote:
Quote:
Is there anybody in Canada making valve stems/plugs?

Eric @ ScopesAndAmmo has them: http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/pro ... fles-p-886

Cheers,
Todd

These are much better than the soft rubber seals on the factory stems. They are lighter in weight, and react differently to hammer strike, and pressure.

I got some very flat strings with the delrin stem on CO-2 in my 78-D.
They seem to work well at 3000 PSI of air as well- in a tube designed for it

Regards,

Doc Sharptail