Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: FT - electromechanical
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:32 pm 

I shoot for some time now into the “metal animals”. It is a great fun and for me more exciting than shooting at paper shield. However pulling the string in order to stand the figure up started to annoy me, especially when such is hidden behind a bush or hang somewhere. Bringing back the kill zone after the second shot no longer gave me so much fun so I have decided to invent something automatic. I was looking for something like that all over the internet but I couldn’t find anything inspirational except one that is made by a company from US - something similar but the equipment is used for firearms – however prices are excessively high -more than 1500 bucks!
My assumption was fairly easy as I thought at the beginning:
-mainly: figures that automatic stand up after a set period of time (from its earlier position)
-adjusting "kill zone" by only turning the steel wheel on the back of figures
-ability to highlight the figures when they’re standing up and turn the light off when the figure is down
- long life (number of cycles) from one battery charge
- resistance to the firing of the whole structure, and all in a compact form
Everything started to complicate when I was trying to make a design. Few if not even more nights spent on the design, firstly on a paper, then in 3D finally gave the results.
Now I think I know why that product is still not on the market - fairly complicated mechanics, it turned out that a lot of elements are possible to cut only on CNC, lots of screws because I wanted it to be disassembled (what gives me the possibility of servicing), electronics designed from the base (luckily components are fairly cheap) and all should use very little energy and be completely hermetic. According to my calculations there is a chance to get 20 hours of continuous work of lifting the figure on a single charge what at a single cycle (about 3seconds) gives us about 6,000 shoots. I don’t know whether the risk is worth the gamble but when I take something related to my hobby into my head, I can’t sleep until it’s done. I still don’t know how much exactly it will cost me (depending on the cost of milling, tapping and rolling sleeves). I have access to machines but to be truth it is not everything. I have to do it because I'm curious the final effect – maybe I will be able to finally change monotonous pulling the cord :-)
I know someone already tried, even more than once to make it but I hope that my stubbornness will lead me to something and maybe someone will benefit, if it turns out that the cost of a single figure will be too high and it would be cheapier for me to make more of themJ If it comes out nice - I have developed electronics to expand the items.
This could be based on a set of 5-8 pieces connected wirelessly and with control base which would have a possibility to choose one figure remotely or automatically select random ones (all figures are flat and randomly only one at a time stands up, after a shot next selected one by a controller), additionaly sound signal in the controller plate when the shot hits the metal of the figure. Of course it all needs two track communication on bands that do not interfere with each other.
For now I'm waiting for the valuation of elements (4mm auluminium hard body and the whole front of stainless or galvanized steel 4mm) the body is hidden behind the front so it is not possible to hit the aluminum and if it could happen it would be at a high angle to the side, what as tested on a piece of aluminum – practically does not make a trace (distance 15meters rifle s400).
Well then I look forward to develop this theme so in the meantime I would like to present the idea of ​​modernizing figures HFT.
The drawing shows the item without electronics and mechanics.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:10 am 

Nice work! You have a vote of support from me.

I expect many people have explore this also (I know I have) and have run into the same challenges related to escalating cost and complexity. It is technologically possible to build it, but it's hard to justify when a Gamo target is under $40, and even some of the very excellent custom made ones by members of this forum can be sub-$150.

All this effort to avoid a reset string and manually changing reducers! Still, it's a lot of fun to work on it and test it.

Hmmm, maybe if we have one that walks down the lane and sets itself up? Back to the lab... :rolleyes:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:02 pm 

Continuation of the project. I was able to increase the capabilities of the object – there will be an option to quickly exchange the animal with kill zone into a single, 10cm diameter target (for tactical shooting or for long distances, where the focus of shots do not fit 4cm of animal kill zone). The whole figure will fall over only after hitting round target and stand up after a set time (which can be regulated using the knob on the back). I have done a preliminary simulation of few figures, that stand up after a different time from hit – I think it will be good for tactical training.
Currently I’m starting production of rc equipment, what gives me access to the relevant machines, so if there is anyone interested I could try to implement this project in live.
Below I present the drawings without locking mechanism, drive and electronics.
The price will be around 130$ for one item (getting up automaticly and lighting LED for NHFT - with out random remote control)