Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Walther 300 XT Alutec
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:50 am 

Hello gang. My wife and I shoot ISSF stye target competions with our Walther 300 XT Alutec rifles and they crony at 740 fps. They are .177 caliber and we want to try FT shooting. Our question is are our guns powerful enough for FT ? Or do we need to up the fps with a regulator change?? FT looks like alot of fun and also has the challenge that we like.

Looking forward to your replys Thanks.

Jeff/Susan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:10 am 

Hello Jeff and Susan

I have used a FWB300 shooting 7.9 gr pellets at about 715 fps in a field target match and did well. So would they work for FT? Yes. Would it be easier if you bumped the power to about 800-815 fps with 7.9 gr. pellets? Yes it would.

If you want to keep shooting in the ISSF matches and do FT as well, I would leave them as is until you try FT. Once you give it a try, then you can decide if you want to bump the power some. The regulator in the gun would probably be fine, it would just have to be rearranged and reset to increase the power some.

I do not know your location, so I do not know how close you are to a field target venue. If you are in the Southern Ontario area, we have an indoor rifle FT match on May 19th at the Burlington Rifle and Revolver Club. That would be an ideal start, since you would not have to deal with wind and could really see the potential of your guns at the longer ranges, up to 50 yards. First match at Burlington is free and if you like it, the first match at Port Colborne is free as well. You can do two matches free and then make an informed decision.

I would say scope them up and give it a try wherever you are located.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:50 am 

Thank you Tim for your reply. We are in southern Alberta...Lethbridge. If a power increase was needed do you know if we could buy a regulator from Walthers Dominator rifle and then switch back and forth?? I think the Dominator shoots 800?? Also what would you suggest for a scope?? and mounts?
Thanks .

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:03 pm 

Looks like you are about two hours away from Calgary where they do some shooting and three hours away from Hanna where I believe there will be at least one FT match this season.

As for scopes, that is a good question with lots of answers. Do you want to jump right in with a full FT rig or do you want to start as a hunter FT shooter where the scoring is somewhat easier. Robbie, who is right in Alberta, is taking orders for the Falcon 10-50X scopes if you want a full FT rig or you can pick up a decent 4-16 mil-dot scope for far less if you want to try hunter. No matter what scope you end up with, get good mounts. I would go for at least Sport Match or BKL two piece mounts that are readily available from the dealers listed on the forum.

A 12 foot pound Dominator reg may fit the bill. Switching out regs on the Walthers is not that difficult. Again, Robbie may kick in some info here as he has experience with most of the high end FT guns.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:18 pm 

1000 yards wrote:
Thank you Tim for your reply. We are in southern Alberta...Lethbridge. If a power increase was needed do you know if we could buy a regulator from Walthers Dominator rifle and then switch back and forth?? I think the Dominator shoots 800?? Also what would you suggest for a scope?? and mounts?
Thanks .

Hi Jeff and Susan.

I'm about 40 minutes from you guys, just East of Stavely. I have few FT rifles that you are more than welcome to come over and shoot. I live on an acreage so different ranges are no problem.

Drop me a PM anytime.

DaveD :D

"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." ~ Theodore Roosevelt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:07 am 

Thank you for the invite Dave. We do travel to Calgary alot with our ISSF comps and would love to stop by and get some help with what we can get set up for a test run. If you can PM us we will try and set up a day and time.

Jeff