Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:59 pm 

I think I'm on the slippery slope - I saw Wallymart are selling airhawks for $99 bucks with free shipping and couldn't resist. So now the question is, with a dominant left eye and right hand, am I better off trying to shoot with the weak eye or the weak hand?

Oh well, should be a fun challenge :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:40 pm 

EverHopeful wrote:
I think I'm on the slippery slope - I saw Wallymart are selling airhawks for $99 bucks with free shipping and couldn't resist. So now the question is, with a dominant left eye and right hand, am I better off trying to shoot with the weak eye or the weak hand?

Oh well, should be a fun challenge :)

Well, the US Army trained me to shot both hands equally for a pistol, rifle or shotgun or M1A1 Abrams.
I am left eye dominant and a true ambidextrous. Only Golf right hand cause clubs are right handed.
Like I have told you before, JUST PRACTICE! Dry Fire and Dry fire till you can't lift the gun up anymore!
When I shoot pistol two handed I shoot Isosceles style(Both arms fully out, elbows locked) and use my left eye, pistol in right hand.

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:33 pm 

I concur with rrdstar -and practice - practice from both sides and see which one is best, most natural for you. I would suggest you use the proper eye when sighting - no head cranked over using the wrong eye now. Learn to close the 'wrong' eye if your eye dominance makes sighting with both eyes open too troublesome, ie; close the left when shooting right handed and close the right when shooting left handed. This is what I do and teach, unless shooting a ''pelter" - then it's just point and blast it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:31 am 

When you're in your shooting stance have someone place a small square of translucent tape on your shooting glasses so that your dominant eye cannot see the sights. With this trick you get to keep both eyes open and have full peripheral vision.

CFSC/CRFSC Instructor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:15 pm 

Rifle arrived. Few things must be funnier than a pistol guy who hasn't shot a rifle in 30+ years trying to work out what the hell he's doing. I think I must have got it wrong and used both the bad hand and the bad eye together, because boy do I suck. I can group better one handed with a pistol than I can with the rifle rested using a scope. As Rick would say - practice!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:13 pm 

I am left eye dominant. Shoot rifle left, pistol right. Works for me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:47 pm 

After an injury I taught myself to shoot archery lefty. Now I always shoot both ways. It takes a while but the result is worth it. It's great to amaze the people watching. Remeber you are not only using different hands and eyes but different sides of your brain.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:00 pm 

outwest wrote:
Remeber you are not only using different hands and eyes but different sides of your brain.

That's a really interesting point - hadn't thought of that before!