Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:45 pm 

I am having some issues with my 92 FS. Since I bought it, some 3 weeks ago, random shots are really underpowered. Sometimes the pellets just move a bit in the cylinder, sometimes they are barely spit out the barrel, sometimes they impact much to low from the point of aim. This happens for 5 or 6 shots, then the gun shoots normally, i. e. great. Initially I thought it is a break-in issue, but after 6 CO2 cartridges it is still happening. Then I figured it might be a single/double action issue (I read somewhere that in DA the hammer may have a too short travel), but I am getting random strings of low powered shots in SA and DA just the same.
The only explanation I can think of is a fauly valve. I tried oiling the gas exit valve, but there was no change. What is really annoying is that except for about 3 strings of 5-6 low powered shots per CO2 cartridge, all the rest are good and accurate. I have somewhere on the forum a very positive review of my Beretta and I still stand by it, albeit somewhat frustrated.
If anyone can advise, please do so. Eventually I will send the gun in for repair, but I want to make sure it's not my fault. Funny, it's just like the real thing's failures after the US Army tryouts. Nobody could accuse me of using +P pellets, though.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:33 pm 

Which pellets are you using? Does the problem occur with a different pellet? How long are you waiting between shots? My 92fs seems to like Meisterkuglns and Hobbies-I've found some pellets seem to bind a bit in the magazine and cause "misfires".

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:50 pm 

57scott wrote:
Which pellets are you using? Does the problem occur with a different pellet? How long are you waiting between shots? My 92fs seems to like Meisterkuglns and Hobbies-I've found some pellets seem to bind a bit in the magazine and cause "misfires".

Same experience here and :supz: on the Meisterkuglns. I just ordered up a tin or two of dome-tops, which this handgun seems to like a lot, according to street talk.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:33 pm 

I am using RWS Meisterkugeln and Hobby. They suggest to use wadcutters only, so I complied.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:48 pm 

Are you having freezing issues in the valve from rapid firing?

Smith & Wesson 686
Hatsan AT44MW-10 .177
Daisy 953S

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:35 am 

I am not sure about the valve freezing, but I was slow-shooting in SA and taking my time between shots. Tomorrow I am going to take it in to the dealer to have it sent for repairs. It should be covered by warranty.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:54 pm 

Having the same issue with my cp88
Sent it for warranty just waiting to get it back
I hope they fix it because its a really nice pellet gun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:32 pm 
Supporting Members

You can drill and tap the hammer and put an adjustable set screw in it. It allows for adjustment of velocity.

Im addicted to brake fluid..........but I can stop anytime....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:12 pm 

I would add a couple of lines as a closure to my post. It has been a long battle and the gun has stayed more in the shops than in my hand or drawer. After a year of endless back-and-forth I gave up hope and accepted from the last repair shop a black 92FS instead of the "stainless" that was malfunctioning. Initially I was planning to buy the black one anyway. I lost the $50 price difference plus a pile of money to Canada Post, but at least I have now a gun that works and shoots great (knock on wood). I have no idea what was the issue with the gun but I think it is a shame that we can't send these guns directly to Umarex for repair or replacement. I understood they have very good customer service.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:22 pm 

That's worrying. I'd like to get one (or maybe two, or three *cough*) of these umarex pistols. I hope I don't run into this problem, as they are far from cheap!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:57 pm 

adimo wrote:
...I think it is a shame that we can't send these guns directly to Umarex for repair or replacement.

Hmmm. The manual accompanying my CP88 specifically states do not return to the dealer; get a RMA number from Umarex and return to them. Maybe there's been a change. I bought the gun on April 30, 2014 and the manual revision is dated 01/2013.

I should note that I haven't had a problem with mine.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:06 pm 

EverHopeful wrote:
I'd like to get one (or maybe two, or three *cough*) of these umarex pistols. I hope I don't run into this problem, as they are far from cheap!

They are addictive. :) I fell in love as soon as I lifted my CP99 Comp. from the box. I now feel I 'need' the 1911 - everyone should have one of those, right?

No problems with the CP88 yet, but I only have a couple of CO2 carts through it so far. I got sidetracked by a couple of other purchases, most recently a Beretta CX4 Storm XT.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:41 pm 

lleader wrote:
Hmmm. The manual accompanying my CP88 specifically states do not return to the dealer; get a RMA number from Umarex and return to them. Maybe there's been a change. I bought the gun on April 30, 2014 and the manual revision is dated 01/2013.

When my fun with the Beretta started I went to the Umarex USA site and they had a list of Canadian repair shops to send the guns to. As far as I know it is illegal to bring or ship airguns to Canada. The dealers ca do that but not private citizens. That is why Pyramidair won't ship guns to Canada. So even if you send your gun to Umarex USA, it will be stopped by Customs Canada when returned. Unless they are asleep. If we were a larger market probably there would be an Umarex Canada and there would be no more problems.

As I said I got a black Beretta back and I shot some CO2 cartridges through it by now. This one works as an Umarex should. It shoots consistently well and is very accurate. Way more than I am, anyway. I guess I had bad luck or the gun was abused before (one of the screws on the frame had marks on it and I doubt it left the factory like that). All other Umarex guns I shot were great so I would definitely endorse the name.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:13 am 

No, it's not illegal, provided the gun is itself permitted in Canada and all the paperwork is in place. It can be a hassle for both seller and buyer, so for example PyramidAir will only ship sub 500 fps airguns to avoid most of the problems. They have a Canadian flag "ships to Canada" marker for the stuff they will send to us, like on their 92 fs page:

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Beretta_9 ... _Grips/155

Oh drat, now why did I have to go and look at that...

Jim (the weak willed)