Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:47 am 

target shooting is an incredibly talented and underrated (in Canada at least) past time. It takes a lot of practice and putting time into understanding your own body, paying attention to how relaxed you are and keeping your mind in the game. Like golf. Only a lot cooler ;D

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:50 am 

ac12 wrote:
Take a look at this doc. It has a decent section on offhand shooting.
http://www.bpcr.net/site_docs-results_s ... ning-1.pdf

The setup of the stance is VERY important to accuracy and your back.
And something that MANY people forget...your shoes. The bottom of your shoes need to be FLAT. If it is curved, you WILL rock along the curve, and you just gave up a bunch of points. Shooting in bare feet is better than shooting in shoes with a curved sole/heel.

That is a very good link for explaining the shooting positions.

ac12- note that the document above called the standing position, Standing, not Offhand - there is a difference. Standing is a target shooting position, while offhand is the hunting position.

Technically, offhand is just that - the rifle is shot off the hands- with no body rest. On the other hand in the standing position, with body rest as in Olympic (or originally) Swiss-style of holding the rifle with body support, is not only allowed, but taught as it is a more stable for deliberate fire.

This position is not for people with bad backs - absolutely kills mine to the point I had to quit 10 meter standing rifle, after only 3 shooting days, once a week over 3 weeks.

This is the 10M rifle target.

There is a bit of a learning curve - I had to quit before I learned - :wink: The dot in the middle is the 10 ring. Commonly, only 2 shots are fired at each bull. The target in the box bottom middle, is the sighter target and is not scored.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:54 am 

That centre target looks pretty sweet.

Edit: "What's the rifle?"

Ah, I should have read your sig and done some googling. I guess that's the FW 150. Looks very nice indeed.

Last edited by EverHopeful on Fri May 17, 2013 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:55 am 

Daryl
I also have a bad back, that is why I have to wear the back belt to shoot 10m AR, especially when shooting the heavy match rifles.
It is also why I worked with an AR coach, to learn how to stand and hold the rifle w/o hurting my back.

A lighter rifle might work for your back. All depends on what the injury is.
I am more comfortable shooting my lighter junior match rifle than the heavier full size match rifle.

How do you like the Tyrolean stock?
I've always wanted to try one of those.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:03 pm 

What Rifle is that Daryl? Beautiful stock!

ac12 mine back is racked with arthritis and 4 compressed discs. So I am very careful of how I stand now for "standing" position.

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:15 pm 

Rick,
Ugh, compressed disc ... so you also have to keep the weight of the rifle down.

Once my AR coach taught me how to "properly" stand and hold the rifle, I was able to shoot w/o hurting my back. But I still have to be VERY CAREFUL. That is one reason why I shoot sportster and junior rifles, they are lighter than the full size match rifles, thus easier on my back.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:21 am 

ac12? How old are you?

Yeah I am in bad shape to be shooting competitively. 12 vertebrae have spondylitis on them pressing on nerves. No trouble with my legs! Need to buy a set of shooting shoes again! It seems my feet have gotten wider as I have grown older. That And I still work 56 hours in four days, doesn't do my back good standing all that time running a lathe or mill.

Tonight the Wife and I and a couple of friends we golf with went to the driving range. I tweaked my back as I "whiffed" three times with the driver! No standing position shooting for a week or so!!!

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Crosman 150 pistol .22

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:30 am 

The rifle is a Feinwerkbau 150. It's a bit of a rare item collector's piece due to the stock shape. It runs 600fps with 8.2gr. R10's and shoots those into tiny groups from 25 yards forward. I've not tried it further out, yet.
I broke my back skiing in 1973. I was misdiagnosed and sent back to work in 2 weeks, driving a PCar around Surrey. In 1999, it was finally operated on as there were no disks left in the lower back - fusion stabilized the structure, but 30 years of pain produces phantom or residual pain, which is where I am now. It hurts now, just like it did 40 years ago - nothing to do for that. I quit taking the narcotic pain killers last year, so my stamina is less than it was. Distractions help, shooting exaggerated Olympic style 10 m. is too painful to do. However, if I hold the rifle as if it was a hunting rifle, supporting hand out on the forend, I can shoot anything up to about 12 pounds - for a while.
The weight of the gun is quite immaterial, it's the shooting stance that increases the pain.
This hold works. Body resting doesn't.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:25 am 

Rick
I'm 58.
With one torn disc. Luckily it did not herniate. But soft tissue damage around that area.
That was 13 years ago. And from what I've learned, it has gotten as good as its going to get, and will periodically flare-up forever.

Daryl
I'll say its rare. I think any of the tyrolean stocks are rare.
Maybe one of these days I'll look for one.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 2:43 pm 

ac12 wrote:
Rick
I'm 58.
With one torn disc. Luckily it did not herniate. But soft tissue damage around that area.
That was 13 years ago. And from what I've learned, it has gotten as good as its going to get, and will periodically flare-up forever.

Daryl

Thanks ac12, didn't catch your name? LOL! You can read about my injuries in a link in my signature.
Sounds like you'll be a good contributor to the target shooting threads!

Daryl, I love the look of that rifle! Loved the schutzen style guns, powderburners or air that I saw in Europe that were 70-100 years old!

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Crosman 150 pistol .22

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:19 pm 

ac12 wrote:
Rick
I'm 58.

Daryl

as12- that was my problem- herniated disks along with the crushed vergebrae. I was a cop then, quit, worked in a lumber mill - that hurt a lot, and then became a correctional officer. Fighting with some of the public,then timber and then inmates for 18 years caused way too many flair-ups, not to mention, snow and water skiing as well as racket ball - HA! I was a BEAR for punishment, always have been, - never give up, never surrender.

Tyrolean - that's the name for the stock that I couldn't remember, thanks.

For those who think a 14 bore muzzleloading rifle might have a nasty rainbow trajectory over longer ranges, I am aiming at the 200yard bullseye, which is 5' off the ground in a round ball contest. Because of the trouncing the other contestants took in that contest, my brother Taylor build a special .62 calibre 12 pound 1860 era S. Hawken to beat my .69 cal. English gun. This summer will tell the tale. Ha!

This feinwerkbau Model150 Tyrolean is actually an amazing rifle on running game target with a normal 4X scope. I'd like to try it again with a running game scope, with the twin posts. From the left with the left post, from the right with the right post. A couple of the guys here have those scopes - tried them and found them almost-like-cheating, well close - but - the FBW 150 placed higher scores anyway, on every practice 'match', whether 5 second pass or the nasty 2.5 second pass. That was nasty.
The tyrolean stock simply locks in the jaw and thus the head, with the eye straight down the crosshairs on the ram - cool! With the R10's it goes against the norm and shoots .100" to .150" at 25 yards off the bags. I used it a couple times for indoor silhouette and will use it next year for the same event. It simply stacks those (or the JSB's and does not care how it's held on the bags, forend held or left to bounce. This is the result of the recoiless technology, I guess. I paid $600.00 and it was a deal, even if it isn't allowed in 10 meter competition any more, I've now been told.

This particular rifle actually came from California - with all new seals. I bought it locally and it is somewhat fast for a match rifle, 590fps with JSB RN 8.4's and 600fps with 8.2gr. R10's.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:07 pm 

from California...hmmm
Probably from Jim Edmonson. He imports a lot of these older air guns from Germany.