Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:23 pm 

Hi Guys
We have been throwing around ideas about making our targets more secure to the ground. The tent pins come out of the ground when you pull on the targets, when we reset.

Tim gave us an idea how to solve this problem.

"Most people and maybe even the club have old cut off ends of lumber. The 8" X 8' about 18" long is ideal. I bore a .375" hole at a 45 degree and from centre of the back end and out the bottom. I place a spike through it and into the ground to prevent the wood from moving forward when the string is pulled. It gets the target up out of the grass and will work on any type of natural surface. You may have to do some levelling, but that is usually quite simple, just using sticks and branches that are deadfall."

What do you guys think of that?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:42 pm 

One of the guys here found some rubber stepping stones for garden use at a clearance store for about $2 each. We've screwed targets to each one and drilled one hole towards the back for a peg. With the rough side towards the ground there's lots of friction on grass and the one peg holds them in place. They're pretty light and no splinters.

CFSC/CRFSC Instructor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:32 pm 

Thanks DHB

Our problem is, we are on sand and rocky surface all over the place, remember we are shooting in an old quarry.

Thanks

Biagio

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:58 am 

I don't know what a FT target looks like, but generally if you use two tent pins per point and push them in like an X shape they don't pull out easily.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:51 pm 

As Biagio said, the challenge for us is the ground is an unfriendly mix of rock and sand. The pegs either don't go in, bend, or pull out easily.

One thought is something like a boat anchor; this is the same challenge we boaters have when anchoring in various bottom conditions.

Using real boat anchors is cost prohibitive and I'm not planning on carrying 20 boat anchors back and forth either! And it would look funny in a tree.

I kinda like the rubber tile idea; not too heavy, easy to deploy, not too expensive.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:00 pm 

A piece of 3/8" ready-rod with a washer welded to one end and about 20" long makes a superior tent peg for holding in most ground types. It usually takes a good 3 to 5 pound sledge to sink them in hard ground, but they hold very well. Re-bar,cut to 20" to 24" lengths also makes good pegs with a washer welded to one end for hammering on. That is, if you want secure pegs at low cost.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:47 pm 

Just an idea, as you are in rocky/sandy ground,could you fill a sandbag and use it as a rear anchor (1 to 2 feet behind target) by using a threaded eyebolt on the rear of the target base and a loop of 1/8inch rope? Maybe a bit of work to get one for each target, but it is an option. Can ask if you can leave them stacked somewhere near the range so you dont need to keep refilling them.

Ken

Browning Leverage .177

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:35 am 

Great option there Skylark, I think we shoot them as is right now, we do put some small pebbles :wink: on the target, therefore it does not get pulled over.

One of the guys want to use tire rims to weld the targets on, yet again too heavy to lug around. I had an idea, where we use a 2' x 2' of plywood or something rigid, and put like 40 - 50 nails at an angle through the wood, and then fasten the target to the board, when you pull up the target, the friction of the nails on the ground should keep it from falling over.

Maybe

Don't know

See you later aligator

Biagio :D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:35 pm 

There's always landscaping spikes as a hold down option, they make for excellent tent pegs when used with washers as well

Crosman "vigilante"
Benjamin Trail NP .22 w/3-9x40 Centerpoint

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:21 pm 

What does that look like?

Thank

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:35 pm 

Basically the same a any real long spike, but used for landscaping. I use the 12", dipped, spiral, landscape spikes. The Canadian tire in Port Colborne stocks them and I imagine any home depot would have them.

One the Gamo targets, I drill the back holes on the target to just over .375" and put two of these spikes in on an angle that prevents the target from lifting when the string is pulled. Sometimes I put a small spike in the front to prevent the target from bouncing with a high power face hit.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:19 pm 

Cool Tim

I'll be getting some tonight, either Home depot or Crappy tire.

Thanks for the tip, will try it out at the end of the month, if it is sunny like today.

Thanks

Biagio

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:18 pm 

Home Depot/Rona are your best bet to find them

Crosman "vigilante"
Benjamin Trail NP .22 w/3-9x40 Centerpoint

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:39 pm 

Its easier and quicker to G clamp the target to a base plus not so much to lug around.

Try a couple of long T posts easily carried. We use 30x30 RSA knocked in with lump hammer, target G clamped on.
Softer ground may need to go bigger like 2"x1" SHS.
Beuty is whatever angle posts knocked in as they can twist round the target can be easily aligned on it and G clamped.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:11 am 

Jon wrote:
Its easier and quicker to G clamp the target to a base plus not so much to lug around.

Try a couple of long T posts easily carried. We use 30x30 RSA knocked in with lump hammer, target G clamped on.
Softer ground may need to go bigger like 2"x1" SHS.
Beuty is whatever angle posts knocked in as they can twist round the target can be easily aligned on it and G clamped.

Jon, could you translate that to English please. I don't understand your abreviations. :D

DaveD :D

"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." ~ Theodore Roosevelt