Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:32 am 

SHS structural Hollow Section in other words rectangular tube with a top welded on to mount target.

RSA Rolled Steel Angle
PSA Pressed Steel Angle

Not my abreviations its commonly known as that.

Soft ground its not uncommon to have to knock in 2 foot. To remove waggle and pull out.
Great for changing the course, no one wants to shoot same target every week year after year.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:46 am 

I just bought the zombie FT target from CT. After looking at mine I was thinking that you could weld the tines from a hard rake or something similar to the base pointing down and forward at a 45 degree angle and turn the target itself into an anchor. When pulling the target back up it would want to dig in. You could also mount the tines to a pivot point so that it could lay flat for regular spiking and provide a stop at 45 degrees for the more challenging soil. Hope this helps.
Mike

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:29 am 

Jon wrote:
SHS structural Hollow Section in other words rectangular tube with a top welded on to mount target.

RSA Rolled Steel Angle
PSA Pressed Steel Angle

Not my abreviations its commonly known as that...

In a Canadian hardware store people would look at you funny if you asked for RSA. It's known as angle iron here. And if you tell people you plan to bring it home in your boot, they'll really think you're crazy!

CFSC/CRFSC Instructor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:43 pm 

Same here DHB, its people that don't know.
Its hard to find in hardware stores which when available charge three times the going rate over going direct to a steel stock holders. A 6M length don't go far!
Just ask the stock holders to middle it or cut it so can get in car usually around 2.6M long region.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:47 pm 

You have me thinking, and with the soft ground we have at the Port club, I am going to buy a couple of these post spikes to try out. I will put a piece of 4" X 4" in the top and will just be able to screw the target down to it. I can hammer it in a foot deep and have it up two feet or hammer it lower if desired. I can just make sure to keep a good coat of Trem-clad on them and they could stay out in the woods in a plastic bin or hanging from a tree. Placement could be different for every match. I could also weld a plate on the top and just c-clamp the target to it at Jon suggested. I'll mess with it and see what I can come up with.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/ground- ... -in/971857

I have also been thinking of getting some old antenna tower pieces to create raised targets at various locations. They could be strapped to trees on any lane to create a lot of variety and the target can be changed very easily by just tipping it down to the ground and then strapping it back up. I'll paint the towers with brown and black Trem-clad to create a camo look and they will blend well with the forest.

Any of the Port folk have any of this stuff hanging around, drop ma an email please.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:15 pm 

Good one Mac that should work well.
Plus great to see someone take a different approach to the norm and position targets and layouts differently. Who wants to shoot same thing over and over again. My saying is an old one 'a change is as good as a rest'

To help you along I cant seem to find any piccies even in the distance what we use. Do have a few different designs but for quickness and ease of carrying 100's of yards we use 30x30x2.5mm square hollow section with same metal cut around 240mm long and welded to the top.
Side on it looks like a T