Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Re: muzzle brakes!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:58 pm 

it makes it sound more like a thump though.... this also is the same with mock airsoft suppressors installed on gas airsoft guns, they say it doesnt work, but if you get a chance to listen to one, in my opinion, it does reduce the sound because it takes away the snap,bang sound and turns it more like a thump...check out the link... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB8VzcW7hUw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:36 am 

This thread is virtually incoherent because of comments/posts edited or removed. So much so that the OP has explicitly asked for it to be deleted. At what point did the term "muzzle brake" become such that it requires inexplicable editing and legality rants on this forum? In all practical terms, muzzle brakes are an item that have been actively produced and sold by many on this forum as decorative (perhaps weight-balancing) devices that have no sound-reducing qualities at the muzzle level that would quality them as "silencer devices."

This is especially true because (a) none of you has any idea of the metrics under which a "silencing device" would be deemed an "illegal silencing device" by an investigator, nor (b) have you measured the silencing effects the devices possibly be offered for sale are capable of (compared to unknown standards).

Did I miss a few more posts that weren't deleted and were declared as the law in the absence of a law, according to some gun cult called CAF? Get over it, or insist on banning "muzzle brake" threads and sale offerings because they are "evil."

WTF is going on here?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:05 am 

didnt mean to get you started, but I was asking about mock suppressors, since they are sold legally.... the reason is because I threw a mock suppressor on my 1377 and it did make it quieter even though its a mock suppressor..

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:34 am 

Edmonton<500 wrote:
WTF is going on here?

Sounds to me as though someone woke up with their tit in a wringer. :lol:

Regards,

Al

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:22 pm 

All that will do is alter the sonic signature and look good, been there done it decades ago.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL15/728 ... 381480.jpg
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL15/728 ... 162508.jpg
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL15/728 ... 953381.jpg
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL15/728 ... 953382.jpg
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL15/728 ... 601010.jpg
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL15/728 ... 806045.jpg
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL15/728 ... 585497.jpg
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL15/728 ... 474779.jpg

Nearly all muzzle breaks, air strippers call them what you like wont work due to design and need to be designed and made in accordance to the actual firing cycle characteristics. So one muzzle brake wont suit another.
Such is that you can get a springer to push down and less recoil upon firing by proper understanding of whats required.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:52 pm 

Gippeto wrote:
Edmonton<500 wrote:
WTF is going on here?

Regards,

Al

:lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:05 pm 

Jon wrote:
....wont work due to design and need to be designed and made in accordance to the actual firing cycle characteristics.

Referring to actual volume and velocity of muzzle blast...or ?

Care to expand? A subject of notable interest to myself...surely others as well.

Al

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:53 pm 

Gippeto wrote:
Edmonton<500 wrote:
WTF is going on here?

Regards,

Al

I thought I was dreaming, but now I know why it felt so good. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:38 am 

Edmonton<500 wrote:
I thought I was dreaming, but now I know why it felt so good. :)

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:25 am 

Gippeto wrote:
Jon wrote:
....wont work due to design and need to be designed and made in accordance to the actual firing cycle characteristics.

Referring to actual volume and velocity of muzzle blast...or ?

Care to expand? A subject of notable interest to myself...surely others as well.

Al

Keeping it simple and hopefully within your laws.
Every air gun has its own independent firing cycle characteristics. A particular rifle may recoil, jet away or even jet away then recoil plus the usual muzzle flip.

Typically a springer will recoil and flip upwards upon firing.
The are ways to get the muzzle blast to oppose or negate the characteristics of the firing cycle. ie you can design and make some form of general term 'muzzle break' to get air blast to push muzzle down and reduce recoil.

Must admit the best groups I have ever seen repeatedly have been with nothing attached to a barrel.

Probably higher than 99% of muzzle breaks, air strippers, call them what you want cannot physically do what it says on the tin being nothing more than a weight, decorative piece or altering sonic signature.
To my knowledge theres only two people that have learnt and its took them 21 years to catch up which charge a fortune to all other offerings available.
With this pc age people are surmising what happens to actually what happens and people being people just copy each other non the wiser.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:07 am 

I think those muzzle brakes looks great, Rick. Well done.

Redirecting the sound can seem, to a shooter, to be altering the 'perceived' sound signature to the shooter or someone standing beside them. Out front, it's just as loud or louder than before due to the redirection of sound.

PB brakes alter the direction as well, but push the sound back and to the side, increasing the 'apparent' sound to the shooter and bystanders. This redirection of sound and 'blast' also reduces the rifle's recoil.

Directing the sound forward as Rick's brakes do with the radially produced holes facing the front, should provide an improvement for Canadian indoor shooters. The Styer PCP air stripper brakes, single row of holes as well as double strippers, are quite similar to this - directing the air and sound forward. Their COOL factor is very high.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:33 am 

Jon wrote:
Probably higher than 99% of muzzle breaks, air strippers, call them what you want cannot physically do what it says on the tin being nothing more than a weight, decorative piece or altering sonic signature.

Right enough I suppose. Most of the so called "muzzle brakes" I've seen on airgun forums are simple weights or moderators....but not all.

Regards,

Al

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:21 am 

I find these discussions informative & interesting.
Keep the replies coming.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:34 pm 

Daryl wrote:
I think those muzzle brakes looks great, Rick. Well done.

Redirecting the sound can seem, to a shooter, to be altering the 'perceived' sound signature to the shooter or someone standing beside them. Out front, it's just as loud or louder than before due to the redirection of sound.

Directing the sound forward as Rick's brakes do with the radially produced holes facing the front, should provide an improvement for Canadian indoor shooters. The Styer PCP air stripper brakes, single row of holes as well as double strippers, are quite similar to this - directing the air and sound forward. Their COOL factor is very high.

The forward venting brake I have left, sold the other two, really does direct the sound away from you! Nice for indoor shooting as Daryl states. The CO2 short barrelled guns are loud enough to be distracting. My two single stroke pneumatic guns(Webley Hurricane and Izzy 46M) are not as loud and less distracting!

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177