Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:56 pm 

After reading a previous post about a tear down on a Diana 240 classic, I think it's high time I tore into mine, cleaned it up, lubed everything, and did a spring replacement. I was wondering if anyone could explain to me the best way to choose a new spring for my beloved 240. The previous post mentioned the stock spring was:
.717" OD, .490" ID, .108" wire diameter and 25 coils. It also mentions the spring is 7.5"long

Would a reasonable substitute be #3 utility mainspring from D&L?
.731" OD, .495" ID, .118" wire diameter, and 28 coils. I didn't notice a spring length mentioned. It sais dimensions are approx.

I'm still fairly new to this kind of stuff, so any other tips to help with the re-build would be appreciated. Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:15 pm 

Larger wire and more coils may reach coil bind (solid height) before reaching full cocking stroke. May not cock far enough to lock piston into sear. All that depends on how close the stock spring was to coil bind once cocked. Also, adding more coils lowers the springs rate and load which basically means it starts out weaker and releases slower. Hope that helps some.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:52 pm 

Is there a safe way to disassemble a springer? Don't have a flippin' clue? CAnadian Tire model beeman, sub 500, .177, with the beeman 3 X 9 scope on it. No idea what the model is?

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:33 pm 

Search "spring compressor"...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:53 pm 

rrdstarr wrote:
Is there a safe way to disassemble a springer? Don't have a flippin' clue? CAnadian Tire model beeman, sub 500, .177, with the beeman 3 X 9 scope on it. No idea what the model is?

You can make your own spring compressor its not difficult at all theres many good how-to's out there.

I like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPsh6VVkwZk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:43 pm 

airgunner1984 wrote:
After reading a previous post about a tear down on a Diana 240 classic, I think it's high time I tore into mine, cleaned it up, lubed everything, and did a spring replacement. I was wondering if anyone could explain to me the best way to choose a new spring for my beloved 240. The previous post mentioned the stock spring was:
.717" OD, .490" ID, .108" wire diameter and 25 coils. It also mentions the spring is 7.5"long

.731" OD, .495" ID, .118" wire diameter, and 28 coils. I didn't notice a spring length mentioned. It sais dimensions are approx.

I'm still fairly new to this kind of stuff, so any other tips to help with the re-build would be appreciated. Thanks

Why would you not just use a stock Diana 240 replacement spring :?:

DaveD :)

"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." ~ Theodore Roosevelt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:54 pm 

blade57 wrote:
airgunner1984 wrote:

X2

If you must check out a Vortek kit.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:23 am 

blade57 wrote:

I don't think I've seen one for sale anywhere, and you only gain maybe 100 fps in .177, if it's a .22 it already has the uncut spring.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:47 am 

Ace wrote:
rrdstarr wrote:

You can make your own spring compressor its not difficult at all theres many good how-to's out there.

I bought this at home depot for $20.00 which I use for my Nitro Venom.
Used it many times and it works great.But I know there is a lot more tension with springs than a gas ram.I'd check with the guys on here.It MAY work though.They are STRONG clamps.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:20 pm 

I think Eric at Scopes and Ammo can get OEM springs. If not, contact Sniper.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:06 pm 

Yes, I wouldn't mind getting a direct replacement, but I haven't seen any for sale. I certainly don't want one of those chopped springs in my gun. That is the main reason why I want to do the re-build. I will check scopes and ammo though, and see what they got. Thanks for the feedback.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:21 pm 

MyCrosman wrote:
Ace wrote:
rrdstarr wrote:

I bought this at home depot for $20.00 which I use for my Nitro Venom.
Used it many times and it works great.But I know there is a lot more tension with springs than a gas ram.I'd check with the guys on here.It MAY work though.They are STRONG clamps.

Actually a gas ram has much more force than a spring. A compressor is a good thing on any springer esp the first time apart..

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:29 pm 

Get one of these..http://www.homedepot.ca/product/irwin-q ... -in/904180
A length of black 3/4 inch, measure you rifle from muzzle rear to back of compression cylinder.
Then get some foam pipe insulator to cover the black pipe to prevent scratching the rifle.
and may be a bungee cord to hold the rifle against the clamp/compressor.
As always be careful..

Arsenal..
Kraft Marshmallow Pump and Shoot Rifle.
GoodYear Gatling Gun rubber-band shooter.
PEI Potato PCP Rifle.

Glass ..12" Dobsonian Reflector.
Shooting for the Stars.