Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours


The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

 

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.








Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:59 pm
Posts: 304
Location: Manitoulin Island
After reading a previous post about a tear down on a Diana 240 classic, I think it's high time I tore into mine, cleaned it up, lubed everything, and did a spring replacement. I was wondering if anyone could explain to me the best way to choose a new spring for my beloved 240. The previous post mentioned the stock spring was:
.717" OD, .490" ID, .108" wire diameter and 25 coils. It also mentions the spring is 7.5"long

Would a reasonable substitute be #3 utility mainspring from D&L?
.731" OD, .495" ID, .118" wire diameter, and 28 coils. I didn't notice a spring length mentioned. It sais dimensions are approx.

I'm still fairly new to this kind of stuff, so any other tips to help with the re-build would be appreciated. Thanks

_________________
.177 For Feathers& .22 For Fur
Airgunner1984
Manitoulin Island


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:11 pm
Posts: 1961
Location: SW Ontario:Canada
Larger wire and more coils may reach coil bind (solid height) before reaching full cocking stroke. May not cock far enough to lock piston into sear. All that depends on how close the stock spring was to coil bind once cocked. Also, adding more coils lowers the springs rate and load which basically means it starts out weaker and releases slower. Hope that helps some.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:49 am
Posts: 6029
Location: Victoria, BC and Clarkston, WA
Is there a safe way to disassemble a springer? Don't have a flippin' clue? CAnadian Tire model beeman, sub 500, .177, with the beeman 3 X 9 scope on it. No idea what the model is?

_________________
-Rick
Pardini K10
Brocock Concept .22
3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:12 pm
Posts: 2368
Location: Woodstock
Search "spring compressor"...

_________________
Daisy Red Ryder


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:46 am
Posts: 4119
rrdstarr wrote:
Is there a safe way to disassemble a springer? Don't have a flippin' clue? CAnadian Tire model beeman, sub 500, .177, with the beeman 3 X 9 scope on it. No idea what the model is?



You can make your own spring compressor its not difficult at all theres many good how-to's out there.

I like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPsh6VVkwZk

_________________
"A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle"

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:22 pm
Posts: 2394
Location: Stavely, Alberta
airgunner1984 wrote:
After reading a previous post about a tear down on a Diana 240 classic, I think it's high time I tore into mine, cleaned it up, lubed everything, and did a spring replacement. I was wondering if anyone could explain to me the best way to choose a new spring for my beloved 240. The previous post mentioned the stock spring was:
.717" OD, .490" ID, .108" wire diameter and 25 coils. It also mentions the spring is 7.5"long

Would a reasonable substitute be #3 utility mainspring from D&L?
.731" OD, .495" ID, .118" wire diameter, and 28 coils. I didn't notice a spring length mentioned. It sais dimensions are approx.

I'm still fairly new to this kind of stuff, so any other tips to help with the re-build would be appreciated. Thanks


Why would you not just use a stock Diana 240 replacement spring :?:

DaveD :)

_________________

"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." ~ Theodore Roosevelt


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:55 pm
Posts: 6845
Location: Rocky Mtn Hse Alberta
blade57 wrote:
airgunner1984 wrote:
After reading a previous post about a tear down on a Diana 240 classic, I think it's high time I tore into mine, cleaned it up, lubed everything, and did a spring replacement. I was wondering if anyone could explain to me the best way to choose a new spring for my beloved 240. The previous post mentioned the stock spring was:
.717" OD, .490" ID, .108" wire diameter and 25 coils. It also mentions the spring is 7.5"long

Would a reasonable substitute be #3 utility mainspring from D&L?
.731" OD, .495" ID, .118" wire diameter, and 28 coils. I didn't notice a spring length mentioned. It sais dimensions are approx.

I'm still fairly new to this kind of stuff, so any other tips to help with the re-build would be appreciated. Thanks


Why would you not just use a stock Diana 240 replacement spring :?:

DaveD :)


X2

If you must check out a Vortek kit.

_________________
Image
Walter


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:33 pm
Posts: 484
Location: Montreal
blade57 wrote:

Why would you not just use a stock Diana 240 replacement spring :?:

DaveD :)


I don't think I've seen one for sale anywhere, and you only gain maybe 100 fps in .177, if it's a .22 it already has the uncut spring.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:27 am
Posts: 1108
Location: Thunder Bay,On.
Ace wrote:
rrdstarr wrote:
Is there a safe way to disassemble a springer? Don't have a flippin' clue? CAnadian Tire model beeman, sub 500, .177, with the beeman 3 X 9 scope on it. No idea what the model is?



You can make your own spring compressor its not difficult at all theres many good how-to's out there.

I like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPsh6VVkwZk

I bought this at home depot for $20.00 which I use for my Nitro Venom.
Used it many times and it works great.But I know there is a lot more tension with springs than a gas ram.I'd check with the guys on here.It MAY work though.They are STRONG clamps.

_________________
The cave you fear to enter....holds the treasure you seek


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:20 pm
Posts: 262
Location: Markham , Ontario
I think Eric at Scopes and Ammo can get OEM springs. If not, contact Sniper.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:59 pm
Posts: 304
Location: Manitoulin Island
Yes, I wouldn't mind getting a direct replacement, but I haven't seen any for sale. I certainly don't want one of those chopped springs in my gun. That is the main reason why I want to do the re-build. I will check scopes and ammo though, and see what they got. Thanks for the feedback.

_________________
.177 For Feathers& .22 For Fur
Airgunner1984
Manitoulin Island


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:55 pm
Posts: 6845
Location: Rocky Mtn Hse Alberta
MyCrosman wrote:
Ace wrote:
rrdstarr wrote:
Is there a safe way to disassemble a springer? Don't have a flippin' clue? CAnadian Tire model beeman, sub 500, .177, with the beeman 3 X 9 scope on it. No idea what the model is?



You can make your own spring compressor its not difficult at all theres many good how-to's out there.

I like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPsh6VVkwZk

I bought this at home depot for $20.00 which I use for my Nitro Venom.
Used it many times and it works great.But I know there is a lot more tension with springs than a gas ram.I'd check with the guys on here.It MAY work though.They are STRONG clamps.



Actually a gas ram has much more force than a spring. A compressor is a good thing on any springer esp the first time apart..

_________________
Image
Walter


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:58 am
Posts: 887
Get one of these..http://www.homedepot.ca/product/irwin-q ... -in/904180
A length of black 3/4 inch, measure you rifle from muzzle rear to back of compression cylinder.
Then get some foam pipe insulator to cover the black pipe to prevent scratching the rifle.
and may be a bungee cord to hold the rifle against the clamp/compressor.
As always be careful..

_________________
President and CEO of Procrastinator Unlimited.

Arsenal..
Kraft Marshmallow Pump and Shoot Rifle.
GoodYear Gatling Gun rubber-band shooter.
PEI Potato PCP Rifle.

Glass ..12" Dobsonian Reflector.
Shooting for the Stars.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

phpBB SEO