Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: shifting zero
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:10 pm 

just got a used phantom.
i can dial it in so it shoots pretty good. with a scope
then put it down come back and p.o.i. has shifted about a inch or so at ~20 feet
dail it back in and it's good
come back to it and....poi have changed again.

scope is rock tight. all screws on gun are tight so.... :? .....
what the heck is going on???

ps- the wife isn't home so i know it's not her.
the dog? maybe, but i don't think so.
maybe i just can't shoot???

i am trying to use the same hold every time. i would love to use a scope on this gun but...looks like i might not be able to.

wanted to check in with you all before i make any decisions.

sub 500 .177 Hatsan mod 33 with Quattro trigger open sites

Post subject: Re: shifting zero
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:20 pm 

Sounds like your gun shoots differently cold than warm. By the time it's sighted in, it's warm. Then you set it down and come back to it when it's cold and the POI reverts back to cold. Suggestion - experiment - use a single target for cold barrel/gun shots, then count the clicks necessary to re-sight on a different target. Set it aside, then repeat a group on the cold target and see if it's back there. Shoot it till warm and see if the group moves at all, as it heats up.

Seems the way it's going, always changing to sight it in every time, pretty soon you'll run out of adjustment- either elevation or windage

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:26 pm 

It's probably your dog screwing with you, have you ever played Duck Hunt? Dogs love to mess with guns.

peaceriverguy wrote:
Airguns are like cats. People think that they'll be fine alone, but they really need company. And don't you want your airguns to be happy?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:34 pm 

is there a scope stop on the phantom ?
how many shots did you take after you dialed it in ?
and what was the grouping like ?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:00 am 

Make sure that barrel is snug at the joint and the barrel washers aren't worn out.

I had a springer that took 3-5 shots to get going and then would be good for the day.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:38 pm 

there is a scope stop hole.
i have a one piece mount and didn't use the scope stop hole. but i had it snugged down really tight.
the grouping after i get it dallied in again is less than half inch. with the odd flyer or pulled shot.
and that would be 15 or 20 shots after i get it dialed in

i did check the pivot and it seemed tight.
didn't check the washers.
i will though.

thanks for the help so far. i am ready to sell my scope and just keep the gun for scaring away crows and coons. and put any type of target shooting away, in fact put all my shooting aside for a new hobbies, i am getting so frustrated with spending money but not getting good repeatable accuracy.

sub 500 .177 Hatsan mod 33 with Quattro trigger open sites

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:21 am 

I had this exact same issue with my nitro venom. moved scope rings so ensure there was no room for the scope to move at all, used plumbers tape on the screws. Issue solved. One ragged hole now, and a ton of fun!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:47 am 

Some of the guys on Our Chinese UK forum have had this problem,Over here the weather has been very cold for the time of year.It was Discovered that the materials expand and contract at a differing rate from one another.The scope was faster at reacting from warm to cold and guns were slower.Resulting in a loss of zero,worse when the gun was shot in the garden rather than being transported to the range.The cheaper the scope and mounts the worse the condition appears :?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:37 pm 

walrus wrote:
Some of the guys on Our Chinese UK forum have had this problem,Over here the weather has been very cold for the time of year.It was Discovered that the materials expand and contract at a differing rate from one another.The scope was faster at reacting from warm to cold and guns were slower.Resulting in a loss of zero,worse when the gun was shot in the garden rather than being transported to the range.The cheaper the scope and mounts the worse the condition appears :?

That occurred to me about different expansion rates of metals!
As a machinist I have to lets part cool for a minute or two. When trying to measure less the .0004 ovality in a part on the lathe I will run coolant on it for a minute after the machining is complete! A human hair and piece of paper are .004" in thickness!!!

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:59 pm 

I have a similar situation occurring. But my question is, if it temp related then why does it shift high a few inches (in my case anyway). Then I re zero downward to shoot accurately. Next session the same, so I am always zeroing downward and will eventually get to a point where there are no more clicks to zero the gun?