Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:01 pm 

Hi All,

Anyone have any luck with an Altoros regulator? I picked one up, followed the instructions and it didn't appear to do anything at all. My shots started low, and the fps spread was just as bad as it was without it. I was expecting just few fps variations between shots but it did what it did when it wasn't installed.

I've included pics of the regulator to help. I cleaned the tube and put a little silica spray as per the instructions. I've cleaned everything off and even though I emailed them 2 days ago, I haven't heard boo back.

Looking for a little advice!

With the oring on it is very snug in the tube. Of the 3 orings in the pic, it is the one sitting alone. Not sure what the others are for, and there is one on the valve side in a groove as well. Since 3 are the same I had thought they were spares.

Thanks!

Attachments:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366588709.445008.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366588709.445008.jpg [ 260.64 KiB | Viewed 816 times ]
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366588694.259376.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366588694.259376.jpg [ 272.09 KiB | Viewed 816 times ]
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366588671.931941.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366588671.931941.jpg [ 244.75 KiB | Viewed 816 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:18 pm 

Never had an Altoros regualtor, but I know with Voltar1's you have to take the O-ring off the valve.... The regulator goes in with the thin silver part forward and the hollow end over the valve, right, and seals against the valve?.... What are the instructions like?.... I could be totally wrong on this, of course....

If those things are done and it still doesn't work, I would assume it is either stuck open or adjusted for too high a pressure....

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:37 pm 

Thanks Bob,

The description you provide is the same. I have 2 tubes and Walter has me on his list :D

Indeed I am going with "what am I doing wrong".

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:41 pm 

You still show the O-ring on the valve that seals against the end of the tube in the photos.... Are you supposed to remove that to provide a 1 atmosphere reference pressure for the regulator?.... or is it an unvented design?.... (I have no idea how those work)....

Bob

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:54 pm 

Are you talking about the one that is part of the stock valve assembly? If so no I didn't remove that. I figured the air would leak. I will try that out and see. Thanks! On GTA a fellow there had not taken it off and had no ill effects. If I get this working I will be most happy. The velocity variances have detrimental effects on POI. I know it's a great gun though when your on the consistent part of the shot curve you can stack pellets. Regulators are essential it seems!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:58 pm 

I know Walter's reg requires you to remove that stock O-ring from the valve where it seals on the end of the tube.... Does it mention it in the instructions?....

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:04 am 

If i can find some time this evening to give it a try i will. If its just an oring, it seems a little strange an oring would do that, but that is why i am here asking!

I need to get some HPA for dummies book :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:21 am 

Have you checked out the youtube video ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRYeMRDA7Hg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:26 am 

You need to take the o-ring off as it shows in the video and as explained in the instructions.
I have two of his regulators and they both work fine in my AT44's.
Found his service was great as well.
When I ordered mine a few weeks ago,
I placed my order on Thursday and had them at the house the next Friday.

Grunt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:49 pm 

yup remove the o-ring off of your stock valve

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:36 pm 

Ya watched the vid. Got it running but its sucking back air like mad! I was thinking it would save on air. I would like it to get about 50 shots per fill and its looking more like 30.

By releasing tension on the hammer spring am i decreasing velocity and using less air?

I am taking that they come maxed but i could be wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:11 pm 

First of all, glad it's now running regulated.... Now the tuning begins....

1. What pressure is the reg. set at?
2. If the gun was tuned to shoot at 3000 psi and now it's at (say) 1700, the hammer strike is likely way higher than required....
3. In an AT44 tuning the hammer spring adjuster CLOCKWISE reduces the preload.... Start at full clockwise (ie minimum)....

If you feel that the gun is still using too much air, you need to try different hammer spring preload settings and find out where the velocity "plateaus", ie the point at which adding hammer strike no longer increases velocity.... Then run the hammer preload as slightly LESS than where the plateau starts.... Obviously a Chrony is critical, just as in tuning a non-regulated PCP.... If it turns out that the velocity is still on the plateau at minimum preload, then you will need to clip a coil or two off the spring and test again.... To get best efficiency it s critical to stay below the plateau.... A couple of turns too much on the spring preload may well make NO difference to the velocity but double the air useage....

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:57 am 

Thanks Bob,

I guess my next course of action is to back off the hammer spring. In several posts i have seen they turn it back 4 turns. So i guess i start there and see where it takes me. I move slow on these as its the first time but i don't have any apprehension other than ensuring I'm going about it the right way.

Im excited to get running at an optimum and under 20fpe so i can start my journey into field target with this most excellent rifle. Id like to be able to run a match without a refill. If that means 780 fps at 17 fpe or there about so be it. I dont need max i just need consistency so i can learn the personality of the gun at a setting to maximize its usage :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:11 am 

If you're serious about tuning any regulated gun, try all the hammer spring settings and make a graph like this....

On that gun I used 5 turns out.... At 2.5 turns out (just a 0.1" difference in preload) the velocity was 3% higher but the gun used over twice the amount of air, getting less than half the shots.... Every regulated gun I have tested behaved in the same manner, producing a velocity "plateau" and wasting air when the hammer strike was too heavy for the regulator setpoint....

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:44 pm 

Bob,

I found a thread at airgunhome that your twin posted in. Amazing work, your a dedicated and committed individual who's understanding of this platform is simply next to none! Thanks for your input!

I am thinking that a .125 to a .130 stem unregulated may indeed be close to all i need. With some plugged holes that could put me close my goal.

Since i have the reg i am going to put it down to its minimum and leave the hammer spring alone and see what i get. Im looking for maximum shots with the best fpe possible. 60 consistent shots would be a obtainable ideal. They may only be 760ish or so but I'm good with that, i should be able to manage in field target with those numbers.

By turning the the spring screw ccw i am understanding that increases the load and that is something i want to back off at this point.
Im guessing though just based on the abundance of data i found just this morning.