Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:54 am 

My TX200HC that is... :mrgreen:

After sitting and staring at the gun for two days before being able to break away to do some shooting I finally had my chance yesterday. I was shooting by 10am and didn't stop until about 5PM, minus lunch at A&W, I burnt up a tin and half of pellets and got my first sunburn this year 8-)

As many know I have wanted one of these guns for a long time so I was set on dedicating an entire day to shooting it. I shot papers targets at the local gun club, FT and spinner targets there as well, then went out to the bush where I shot a starling at 25yds and a sparrow at around 45-50yds :shock: I can't believe how accurate the gun is, it really is impressive.

I must say, the claims of "low recoil" are a bit feigned, I have a spot on my arm that looks like "rug burn" from the guns recoil against my skin. I guess I did shoot almost 700 pellets in a 5/6hrs with it, so its probably my fault, realistically :lol: But it does have a good jolt when fired, I am excited to see how much of that disappears with the 12FPE Vortek Kit installed. Despite the recoil, I was able to consistently hit a 1" KZ at 45-50yds using a 3-9-40mm Leapers scope, and the gun is not even broken in yet.

With more time behind the trigger, a bigger and better scope and the Vortek kit installed I think this gun has some serious potential for WFTF Piston Class :twisted:

While out in the bush I recorded a few velocities with 5 different pellets. I plan to do much more in depth and detailed testing with this gun and many more pellets, but here is what I took down today;

JSB Match Diabolo Exact RS, 4.52mm, 7.3gr - 904.4, 899.3, 905.7 (903.13 AVG) = 13.22 FPE

JSB Match Diabolo Straton, 4.50mm, 8.3gr - 851.7, 853.6, 851.9 (852.4 AVG) = 13.39 FPE

JSB Match Diabolo Exact
, 4.52mm, 8.4gr - 845.8, 850.9, 851.5 (849.4 AVG) = 13.46 FPE

H&N Field Target Trophies, 4.50mm,8.49gr- 868.6, 868.9, 878.1 (871.87 AVG) = 14.33 FPE

JSB Match Diabolo Exact Heavy, 4.52mm, 10.3gr - 797.9, 800.2, 792.9 (797 AVG) = 14.53 FPE

Here are a few groups I took pictures of. Again with a 3-9X scope on my first day ever using the gun I am more than happy. These are all 5-shot groups from 50yds, in a unsupported FT sitting position

JSB Match Diabolo Exact Heavy, 4.52mm, 10.3gr

H&N Field Target Trophies, 4.50mm,8.49g

Crosman Ultra Magnum 10.5gr.

Of course a bunch of pictures of the gun
:mrgreen:

PS - Yes, that is my blanket 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:01 pm 

Congrats!
Lovely hunk of walnut on her, too!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:59 pm 

Looks just great and shoots that way too. The little .17 cal holes look a long way apart, until you put the dime on the groups. Not shabby at all. Fopund the ame shooting .17 cal. RF and .17CF. Holes make the group look a lot larger than it is. Then measure it and sub 1" groups. I found with my .17CF, one group I shot at 100 meters actually had paper between each hole and yet the 5 shot group measured 3/8"m ie: .375.

I'd say that rifle is a keeper,fur sure.

I really liked shooting Dave's Arms TX200 at Old's and I suspect that given decent sales at the gun show coming up in May, I will have a tough time deciding which springer to purchase. The TX200, FW 97K, or an FW98 like the one Gord just picked up a while back. Yeah, I know, why not all three - BECAUSE, that's why. My PCP's would never get shot again, I'm sure- well, maybe just not very often.

Yes - the walnut is the best stock wood for a modern gun!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:43 pm 

Very pretty indeed, Joel. Congrats on a great aquisition.

I have been getting pretty descent groups using Crosman Premier Domed Lights. ALL of my other rifles love JSB Exact 4.51mm but I can't seem to get the groups I expect using them in my TX for whatever reason :cry:

I shot rocker45's .22 HC and was really surprise at the recoil, particularly compared to my HW 97 and bearing in mind how much the TX weighs.

My TX has the 12 fpe Vortex kit fitted and it is a joy to shoot. You will really enjoy it, I'm sure :D

I put the big Leapers scope on my TX and am only waiting for the wind to drop so I can get a bit of trigger time with her. We have had steady winds of +40 kph with gusts up to 85 kph in Southern Alberta for 3 days now. It kinda messes with your 55 yard group sizes :lol:

DaveD :D

"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." ~ Theodore Roosevelt

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:28 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

Congrats Joel. I hear you about the recoil though, especially when you're used to shooting an EV2.. But it's accurate, and that's what really counts. It'll smooth out with the kit installed for sure, but physics is still physics, so in order to really tame it down you'll need to put a stock on it that has a lot of mass, and even then add lead weight to the butt as well.

What scope are you thinking of putting on it? It's a tough call these days, as you want a big heavy scope to help with the recoil, but I'm starting to think that this can actually hurt the accuracy (too much weight up top causes it to behave poorly when fired) also with the new Nikko no longer being made, there aren't many other options left. The Falcon isn't springer rated, but does have a lifetime warranty, so there should be no fear using it, the Leupold Competition is always a good option, but a bit pricey. George and I are currently using them though, George uses a 35x and I use a 45x. I previously owned a 35x but didn't like the range finding, not that it didn't work, but it doesn't 'snap' into focus like the Nikko. The 45x is much better that this, but the downside is the offhand and kneeling shots at 45x... the 35x is by far the most popular choice around the FT world though.

However the 'tried and true' scope would be the Bushnell 4200 8-32x - that's still a VERY popular scope with piston shooters, the best piston shooter in the world, Paul James, uses one to great success. I have one ready to put on my TX200SR, and have used them before on my S410.

So are you going to be shooting WFTF piston this year??

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:13 am 

pirellip wrote:
Congrats Joel. I hear you about the recoil though, especially when you're used to shooting an EV2.. But it's accurate, and that's what really counts. It'll smooth out with the kit installed for sure, but physics is still physics, so in order to really tame it down you'll need to put a stock on it that has a lot of mass, and even then add lead weight to the butt as well.

What scope are you thinking of putting on it? It's a tough call these days, as you want a big heavy scope to help with the recoil, but I'm starting to think that this can actually hurt the accuracy (too much weight up top causes it to behave poorly when fired) also with the new Nikko no longer being made, there aren't many other options left. The Falcon isn't springer rated, but does have a lifetime warranty, so there should be no fear using it, the Leupold Competition is always a good option, but a bit pricey. George and I are currently using them though, George uses a 35x and I use a 45x. I previously owned a 35x but didn't like the range finding, not that it didn't work, but it doesn't 'snap' into focus like the Nikko. The 45x is much better that this, but the downside is the offhand and kneeling shots at 45x... the 35x is by far the most popular choice around the FT world though.

However the 'tried and true' scope would be the Bushnell 4200 8-32x - that's still a VERY popular scope with piston shooters, the best piston shooter in the world, Paul James, uses one to great success. I have one ready to put on my TX200SR, and have used them before on my S410.

So are you going to be shooting WFTF piston this year??

Well I have a Falcon T50 coming to me in awhile, and have a Nikko on my EV2 right now. I am not sure what will end up where, I may get a 4200 as I don't have one of those yet...

I haven't decided if I will be shooting the full season in Piston or not, I guess it depends how the first match goes :lol: I think I can still sharpen my WFTF PCP shooting skills a bit before changing classes, I guess time will tell, I really want to shoot 55/60, just a personal goal, closest yet is a 52

I will be making an air stripper for the TX tonight or in the next few days, if I have time. I am wondering how much affect that will have on things...

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:30 am 

[quote="jgoodz420]
I will be making an air stripper for the TX tonight or in the next few days, if I have time. I am wondering how much affect that will have on things...[/quote]

That sounds REAL interesting. Any chance of some pics of that, Joel.

"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." ~ Theodore Roosevelt

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:51 am 

blade57 wrote:
jgoodz420 wrote:
I will be making an air stripper for the TX tonight or in the next few days, if I have time. I am wondering how much affect that will have on things...

That sounds REAL interesting. Any chance of some pics of that, Joel.

There might be, time will tell I suppose :)

Just walked around the shop for 15min to locate the 1/2"-20 die I need to cut the threads, as the thread cutting dial is broken on our lathe... :roll:

What do you think; sandblasted exterior to match the trigger and black nylatron cone? or Brass? Bronze? Not sure if that nylatron stuff would be too soft. I will be making it rather large tho as I believe the OD of the shroud is 20MM (.7874"), so the wall of the cone will/could be rather thick if necessary...

I am not sure if I want to make it the same size as the shroud OD, or bigger. A 1.0" dia. air stripper would be massive :twisted: I will have to make it pretty light as I don't want anymore weight on the front of that gun

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:41 pm 

Joel, on such a stunningly finished rifle, I would want to go subtle, subtle, subtle, buddy.

If it were for my TX, I would either make the outer of steel, then it could be polished and blued :D or something finished in black.

Such a thing of beauty doesn't need "Blinging Up". IMHO :D

Dave :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:21 pm 

Nice gun, congrats. I have one as well, I bought a tuning kit from a friend in the States, now it shoots around 790fps, under 12fp, if you only drain the oil, it will shoot a little slower. The tuning kit, makes the recoil softer. I love mine, had it for about a year now. George Harde has one that he shoots in the Worlds FT event every year. He has a custom stock from Ginb, Italy. Those stocks can sell for anything from $300 to $700 to $800. To me that's another brand new gun.

Enjoy your new gun

Biagio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:10 pm 

George's gun is a full length barrel MK II. Same basic gun though.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:49 pm 

I may or may not have a custom FT stock for my TX I am repairing :)

Will post a thread/pics when I have a chance