Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:39 pm 

Looking at picking up a used 80 Cu/ft 3,000lb tank. I'm thinking New is going to be pricey but is there any issue's to using a tank that has hit it's service life ? Will have to ask if the firehall is able to refill it. No Dive shops here so that is out.

Ken

Browning Leverage .177

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:02 pm 

Needs to be re-certified - hydro tested and cleared as I understand old tanks out of date. If it doesn't clear and I don't expect they'd have sold it to you if it wouldn't, probably needs a new head - or whatever it's called.
I'd like a couple 80's myself if the price was right.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:39 am 

Be carefull buying used tanks.
Unless they are dirt cheap stay away from ones that are not certified.
Hydrotest every 5 years and visual every year is required by law.
Without which they can not be filled and could be quite dangerous.
Hydrotest date is usually stamped up near the valve and the visual is a sticker.
The visual is much more involved than just looking at the outside of the tank.
I just brought 6 tanks in for testing and fill.
3 of them failed, 2 failed the visual and 1 failed the eddy current test.
Scuba and firefighter types are not the same.
Steel tanks have a lower failure rate than older aluminum ones.
Bring a magnet to check which material they are as both can be painted.
Most scuba shops do not do any testing but send the tanks out to a fire/safety shop.
The eddy current and hydrotest equipment is very expensive and needs special training.
If you can find a shop that actually does the testing in house you might save a few bucks.
Visual, eddy, hydro and fill costs me $35 per tank, $8 per fill only.

Grunt

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:32 pm 

Most glass/carbon wrapped cylinders have a 15 year life from date of manufacture. There are some newer tanks with a 30 year rated service life.

After the 15 year service life is done, the tank is scrap from a legal/liability stand point. Fire service drains the tank and drills a hole in it.

Aluminum tanks are also common, but are 2150psi....not very useful unless you have a Discovery or other low pressure pcp.

Fire service also requires hydro every 3 years...they may insist on this if they're filling your tank.

Al

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:22 pm 

Ok thanks. Cost of a new tank is?? Or just may stick with a good pump till I can get sorted out with tanks and all the equipment.

Ken

Browning Leverage .177

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:40 pm 

Scuba Tanks sounds like you need very fancy equipment, but it is very easy to use and equip for your gun. Try to buy a second hand tank at a dive shop. I have fitted my tank with a Airforce adaptor, it has a 1/4" BPSS fitting that comes directly from the tank, you can buy 14'' or 1/8" fittings at hydrolic shops for like 50c a piece. hydro stores can make you a hose from scratch, if you like.

Ask a few of the guys around what they use for their airguns, you'll get an idea

Biagio

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:46 pm 

I posted this Oct 06 2012:
Be carefull buyiing a used tank. Aluminum tanks do not last as long as steel and will reach a point where the 5 year hydo test can't be passed, sooner than a steel tank will. Also since aluminum is lighter it is more boyant when empty. This makes them more popular in the salt water of the tropics where wet suits are not used as much. Salt water needs more carefull cleaning so if this has not been done on your used one...Also most Aluminum tanks usually fill to 3000psi, so if your gun also fills to 3000psi you will not get perfectly full refills. Try for a tank that fills to 3300 to 3500psi. or buy new. Even when getting a new tank, the hydro test date starts when it is made, so if it has been in stock awhile you could need to do an $40.00 test a lot sooner than you expected. Check the dates on the tank. I looked at a used aluminum tank the other day and found out it was made in 1983. Junk.
Red.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:58 pm 

Gippeto wrote:
Most glass/carbon wrapped cylinders have a 15 year life from date of manufacture. Al

yes but carbon fiber tanks still need to be hydro tested every 5 years.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:45 pm 

Ace wrote:
Gippeto wrote:
Most glass/carbon wrapped cylinders have a 15 year life from date of manufacture. Al

yes but carbon fiber tanks still need to be hydro tested every 5 years.

Wondering if you read the whole post? I do believe I touched on hydro too. The ops question was regarding service life. Everyone was answering with respect to hydro...hydro and service life are not the same. :roll:

Al

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:48 pm 

As non-experts in the hobby of scuba we may not be the best source of info, so I suggest that you buy new and/or get a trusted friend who dives to shop with you.
Red

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:42 pm 

How about one of these and have it filled at your local paintball store. IIRC most dive shops, in my area, go as high as 3600psi. So check out this tank and talk to AGS on the tank details and your local paintball store to see if they fill to 4500psi.

http://www.trail-marker.com/store/index.php?product=AV-NJ003&c=163

Then use this calculator to figure out how many top up's you can get for your air rifle.
http://www.airhog.com/A26_Fill_Calc.html

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:38 am 

Skylark 4 wrote:
Ok thanks. Cost of a new tank is?? Or just may stick with a good pump till I can get sorted out with tanks and all the equipment.

Ken

Ken, if you make it to the Hanna shoot on June 15th, take a look at Brians (rocker45) Nitrogen setup. He has a 4500psi bottle that he gets a LOT of fill from as well as very generously bringing it to all of the AIR FT shoots and filling everyones PCP's with it.

My air tank will need to be Hydro'd at the end of June so I'll be taking the Nitrogen route myself

DaveD :D

"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." ~ Theodore Roosevelt

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:58 pm 

blade57 wrote:

Ken, if you make it to the Hanna shoot on June 15th, take a look at Brians (rocker45) Nitrogen setup. He has a 4500psi bottle that he gets a LOT of fill from as well as very generously bringing it to all of the AIR FT shoots and filling everyones PCP's with it.

My air tank will need to be Hydro'd at the end of June so I'll be taking the Nitrogen route myself

DaveD :D

This is not to say that the nitrogen is not your best route, but just because your tanks needs a hydro test and won't be filled by a scuba shop does not mean that you can't do it with a shoe box compressor. Just another option to think about.
Red.