Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:09 pm 

I ordered some upgrades for my 2240 from Charles at MellonAir. It took a while, but it was worth the wait. I got a 12" .177 barrel, air stripper, extended probe bolt and an RVA. I was worried that the 12" would be too long for a target pistol, and it does look a bit daft. But it feels ok when shooting, so I think I can live with the looks.

Attachment:
File comment: MellonAir'd 2240
IMG_6332-Edit.jpg
IMG_6332-Edit.jpg [ 134.64 KiB | Viewed 1026 times ]

The barrel has been reworked at both ends with a polished muzzle and crown and a nicer chamber than my previous barrel. I'm getting fewer pellets hung up when loading now.

The handle on the bolt is a nice upgrade from the stock version

Attachment:
IMG_6336.jpg
IMG_6336.jpg [ 172.88 KiB | Viewed 1026 times ]

The longer probe makes loading a pellet a little more fiddly, but it's manageable

Attachment:
IMG_6371.jpg
IMG_6371.jpg [ 135.35 KiB | Viewed 1026 times ]

Last edited by EverHopeful on Sat May 11, 2013 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:13 pm 

looks great! 8)

-Matt

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:16 pm 

The air stripper is nicely done, with an all but invisible join where the cone is attached

Attachment:
IMG_6355.jpg
IMG_6355.jpg [ 115.75 KiB | Viewed 1024 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_6343.jpg
IMG_6343.jpg [ 162.79 KiB | Viewed 1024 times ]

The RVA is basic but functional. The only downside is that there isn't any limit to how far you can screw it in - I suspect you could come right off the threads if you tried.

Attachment:
IMG_6363.jpg
IMG_6363.jpg [ 128.3 KiB | Viewed 1024 times ]

Overall, I'm very pleased with the parts, and the prices and shipping were very reasonable indeed. Just be aware that there's a backlog of 8 to 10 weeks if you want to order:

http://www.mellonair.com/

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:36 pm 

Who did your grips?
Air stripper looks like it won't pass enough air? More of a muzzle flip control device.

12" is a good length especially with open sights!

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:41 pm 

Sweeeet!
:) Nice work!!

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:57 am 

rrdstarr wrote:
Who did your grips?
Air stripper looks like it won't pass enough air? More of a muzzle flip control device.

12" is a good length especially with open sights!

I did the grips myself. I need to make a couple of adjustments to them, so I'll have to order more sugru. I put some pics of the grips I did for the p17 in this thread.

Interesting question about the air stripper. The slots give a fairly large area, I suspect it's enough for the amount of CO2 being expelled for a low power .177. But you are right, it's a lot more restrictive than something like the Hatsan stripper.

I went for 12" on the basis that it should give 475 fps with low muzzle noise and efficient gas usage, plus the long sight radius might help when I switch over to open sights. The noise thing is confirmed, haven't had time to see how long the gas lasts yet, and the sights are in the post :D

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:39 pm 

I didn't mean to sound critical of another man's air Stripper! Thought about it after my post that it was made for an air pistol, not a powder burner with expanding gases!

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:53 pm 

EverHopeful wrote:
The air stripper is nicely done, with an all but invisible join where the cone is attache

Overall, I'm very pleased with the parts, and the prices and shipping were very reasonable indeed. Just be aware that there's a backlog of 8 to 10 weeks if you want to order:

http://www.mellonair.com/

Meh! I don't think so. With the attitude he displays on his home page, much the same attitude as that of another "popular" supplier I know, I think I'd just as soon find someone who appreciates my business. So, essentially, both of them can :butthead:

$0.00

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:12 pm 

Edmonton<500 wrote:
Meh! I don't think so. With the attitude he displays on his home page, much the same attitude as that of another "popular" supplier I know, I think I'd just as soon find someone who appreciates my business.

I can certainly understand your point of view, and Charles isn't doing himself any favours with the tone on his web site. But my take is that he is at least being open and honest - what you see is what you get. His prices are below the going rate and as a result he has a significant wait time. He's stressed out and doesn't have time for long email exchanges, so you can expect any communications to be to the point. But none of this comes as any surprise. His work is good, takes about as long as he said it would, and he really should be charging more.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:27 pm 

EverHopeful wrote:
Edmonton<500 wrote:
Meh! I don't think so. With the attitude he displays on his home page, much the same attitude as that of another "popular" supplier I know, I think I'd just as soon find someone who appreciates my business.

I can certainly understand your point of view, and Charles isn't doing himself any favours with the tone on his web site. But my take is that he is at least being open and honest - what you see is what you get. His prices are below the going rate and as a result he has a significant wait time. He's stressed out and doesn't have time for long email exchanges, so you can expect any communications to be to the point. But none of this comes as any surprise. His work is good, takes about as long as he said it would, and he really should be charging more.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. He has very much made a rod for his own back. His prices are low and his quality seems pretty good therefore he is so busy turning out product he has no time for the finesse and pampering that some people like.

Personally I'd rather deal with an honourable guy like Charles where you know what you're getting up front at a more than fair price.

On the subject of your Airstripper, it should work fine. My Ripley is equipped with the same number of vents with roughly the same placement and it works really well.

DaveD :D

"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." ~ Theodore Roosevelt

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:57 pm 

Air strippers should have a movable cone to allow you to "tune" them, the position it is stuck in may or may not be good, and if nots good your stuck; aside from moving the position of the entire airstripper...JMO

Looks like he does good work in any case 8)

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:00 am 

jgoodz420 wrote:
Air strippers should have a movable cone to allow you to "tune" them, the position it is stuck in may or may not be good, and if nots good your stuck; aside from moving the position of the entire airstripper...JMO

Yes, as far as I can see the adjustment on this one is done by sliding the whole thing along the barrel, but that's easy to do. What's a good muzzle to cone distance? I seem to remember reading somewhere that the bore diameter was a good starting point, but I may have misremembered.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:04 am 

blade57 wrote:
On the subject of your Airstripper, it should work fine. My Ripley is equipped with the same number of vents with roughly the same placement and it works really well.

I hadn't heard of Ripley, so I looked them up:

http://www.ripleyriflesgb.co.uk/home/photos

That's some seriously good looking (and expensive!) rifles. I see the price page lists actions only - did you have to get the stock from somewhere else?