Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:53 pm 

Hey guys, I'm embarrassed to admit to this but I think I'm running out of options here, I'm really scared that I've screwed up my Phantom.

Long story short I got some cotton cloth stuck in the barrel trying to clean it, and while trying to push that out with some wooden skewers the skewer got stuck in the fabric and snapped off pretty much flush with the barrel. So I've got wood and cloth clogged in my barrel and I have no bloody clue how to try to get them out without damaging it, I haven't risked using anything metal because I don't want to eff up the barrel.

Am I completely *&^%&%*ed and now in need of a new barrel, or is there some hope for getting myself out of this (frankly pathetic) predicament.

peaceriverguy wrote:
Airguns are like cats. People think that they'll be fine alone, but they really need company. And don't you want your airguns to be happy?

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:04 am 

Phanton - skewers?

Sounds like a handgun. Go to the closest Hobby store (or Princess Auto) - they should have brass rod - with .014" walls that fits inside the next larger size, all the way up to 1" from below 1/16". Anyway, the correct side that 'just' fits down the bore is the right one. Fine oil, like KROIL or mineral oil or kerosene down the bore, and up the bore, then shove the rod in and tap out the obstruction. If you get the right side and the next one smaller, then solder the smaller one inside the larger one, you will have a stiff rod - hahahahahahahaha - no, seriously, it will work. sorry for the joke. :oops: :drinkers:

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:12 am 

Rifle unfortunately, the fabric is a good 3-4" from the trigger end (sorry I don't know the proper term) and everything after that is two thin wooden skewers side by side. No worries about the joke, I could use one right now! I'll run to Princess Auto in the morning and grab some brass, fingers crossed!

peaceriverguy wrote:
Airguns are like cats. People think that they'll be fine alone, but they really need company. And don't you want your airguns to be happy?

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:16 am 

last time I did that I just kept prodding it and firing it till it popped out the muzzle, but it was just paper towel, not fabric and skewers

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:59 am 

Burn them out. You won't generate enough heat to hurt your barrel. Glue a wooden match to one of those skewers you were using.

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:34 am 

rrdstarr wrote:
Burn them out. You won't generate enough heat to hurt your barrel. Glue a wooden match to one of those skewers you were using.

That's what my smarter half was thinking, I'll do that if the brass rod can't do it. If I have to burn it out I'll really need to clean it! Hopefully only the fabric needs to burn, I made sure the wood was thin enough the whole way down to make it without jamming in the barrel on its own.

peaceriverguy wrote:

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:02 am 

Thenooblord wrote:
last time I did that I just kept prodding it and firing it till it popped out the muzzle, but it was just paper towel, not fabric and skewers

Thats a good way to blow your piston and/or breech seal...

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:26 am 

Go buy yourself a proper cleaning kit and push it out from the other end don't try and push it through there not expensive paid $10 for a kit from Le Barons comes with everything you will need cleaning patch's and all well worth the $10 youl be glad you got it.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:37 am 

I've dealt with these kind of issues from peoples guns. What I use is a brass rod that has been thread upon the end. The end is also cut at about a 60 degree angle. Run this from the crown into your stuck cloth and thread it into your obstruction. Just a little at a time and pull back after a few twists. This will help break up the threads of the cloth so that your able to get the cloth broken up and free. Hope this helps for you.

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:54 am 

Ace wrote:
Go buy yourself a proper cleaning kit and push it out from the other end don't try and push it through there not expensive paid $10 for a kit from Le Barons comes with everything you will need cleaning patch's and all well worth the $10 youl be glad you got it.

I bought one of those the other day for my .22 cal rifles. The Weed Wacker line idea works with pistols, sort of.
The next time I'm at PA I'll buy some brass/steel rod less than .177" for my .177 cal rifles.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:58 am 

jgoodz420 wrote:
Thenooblord wrote:

as I said, its was just a bit of paper towel stuck in there, not a solid obstruction like this, it came out rather easily, so you're probably right, not always the best Idea

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:00 pm 

Thenooblord wrote:
jgoodz420 wrote:
Thenooblord wrote:

as I said, its was just a bit of paper towel stuck in there, not a solid obstruction like this, it came out rather easily, so you're probably right, not always the best Idea

So did you do as the OP did?

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:08 pm 

Voltar1 wrote:

if you mean jam and break off my cleaning rod in the barrel? then no.. I try not to...
also, I'm not sure how you could effectively burn it out? you need air to burn, and theres not alot of air in a barrel full of fabric and skewers, i just imagine the flame puttering out as soon as it passes the muzzle into the barrel, no personal experience speaking here, this is just what I would think would happen

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:26 am 

Thanks for all the tips guys, hopefully I can get this poor gun fixed without having to get a new barrel or something. And after this, no more attempting cheap DIY things that can backfire this badly.

Thenooblord wrote:
Voltar1 wrote:

if you mean jam and break off my cleaning rod in the barrel? then no.. I try not to...
also, I'm not sure how you could effectively burn it out? you need air to burn, and theres not alot of air in a barrel full of fabric and skewers, i just imagine the flame puttering out as soon as it passes the muzzle into the barrel, no personal experience speaking here, this is just what I would think would happen

That's exactly what happened today, I couldn't get to PA before it closed due to it being Mothers Day so tomorrow I'll be running to PA after work to grab a bunch of stuff. Fingers crossed I can get this fixed.

peaceriverguy wrote:

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:18 pm 

Ok so I couldn't find brass rod or tubing, would bronze or aluminum work without risking the rifling? The closest thing I was finding was stuff in the welding section. I tried some wooden dowel but it just kept breaking and not pushing anything anywhere.

peaceriverguy wrote: