Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:26 pm 

rsterne wrote:
Here is a thread that needs to be resurrected.... topic43563.html

It gives all the details for converting a QB79 to HPA use as a non-PAL gun.... How does 250 shots per fill sound?....

Bob

Thanks so much for your assistance this morning Bob! You ever need anything made, let me KNOW!

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:37 pm 

Not a problem.... I have plans for another PAL version of the QB79 utilizing the new 1100 psi output Ninja SHP tank.... This is a great new setup from Ninja utilizing their PRO regulator, with a rotating collar on the regulator to look after the orientation of the gauge and fill fitting, and the regulator uses Bellevilles instead of a coil spring.... I'm going to pick up another QB79 and one of the SHP tanks, and build it just like the Non-PAL gun.... starting out completely stock.... The plan is to then go through a series of simple steps to improve the performance, increasing in difficulty (and hopefully performance) as I proceed.... It will be a nice follow-on to the Non-PAL version.... although it may well be next winter before I get to it....

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:42 pm 

SHP? Que?

Thanks Bob, I am about a third of the way through your QB79 tutorial! Do you have one for the 22XX's or 13XX pump guns? LOL! I went to gunsmith school, Colorado School of Trades, and know what I need t know for powder-burners, but air guns are a bit different world!

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Crosman 150 pistol .22

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:26 pm 

"SHP" is Ninja's term for Super High Pressure.... *LOL*.... ie 1100 psi instead of 850.... Main difference is the Belleville washers instead of the coil spring.... The "PRO" series regulators have a rotating collar to allow you to set the orientation of the gauge and fill nipple.... The SHP has both....

I've written a ton of stuff about 22XXs and 13XXs but nothing as "step by step" as the thread on that QB79.... You can do the same thing with a 22XX Crosman using a tank block like this.... The tube is not pressurized, only the valve, so no retention issues....

It slides right into a shortened 22XX tube, and can be setup Non-PAL by removing the red shims to adjust the regulator down to about 500 psi, and clipping the hammer spring.... IIRC, about 1/16" preload using the stock 22XX end cap and hammer spring is all that is required.... and you can get about 300 shots at just under 500 fps in .22 cal using a 24" barrel....

Eric at http://www.scopesandammo.com had some made to my design, I don't know if he has any left or not.... I still have the prototype above in the shortened 2240 tube available for $100 (for the parts shown only).... It accepts a standard paintball tank regulator, or a 9 oz. CO2 bottle.... and in fact the tank block has enough drop to unscrew a Ninja tank without removing the barrel.... That would allow easily changing back and forth between HPA and CO2.... It ends up looking like this....

As you can see, the tank is so far back it is used as the forestock.... and obviously the balance is just fine.... Dead simple, I don't know why it never took off.... basic Non-PAL PCP with about 300 shots per fill....

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:46 pm 

Thanks again Bob! I do have a Hi-pac but that looks a lot better for a long walk in the field!

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Crosman 150 pistol .22

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:08 pm 

idontknowjack - you cannot post a picture like that without expecting a comment - from an old timer.
I really like your Old Mossberg magazine-fed .22 WMR. I almost bought one identical, at the gun show here of late. There were 2 for sale there, imagine that!. Not as nice as yours.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:13 pm 

Daryl wrote:
idontknowjack - you cannot post a picture like that without expecting a comment - from an old timer.
I really like your Old Mossberg magazine-fed .22 WMR. I almost bought one identical, at the gun show here of late. There were 2 for sale there, imagine that!. Not as nice as yours.

I worked on a lot of those Daryl as a gunsmith. One of the biggest and best gunsmith's on the west Coast in US of A. The guy is retired now but has published several books on small parts for old guns. They also make new parts for old guns! I can get you stuff if you need it!
http://wisnersinc.com/

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Crosman 150 pistol .22

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:05 am 

Daryl wrote:

Lakefield 146-B, if that's the original birch stock under the refinishing.

I grew up with one, in a peep sighted/walnut/tube magazine version. Mossberg pioneered what is now known as "micro-groove" rifling. It was called "Ackro-groove" by Mossberg, and very accurate. Not bad for a process that utilized a rifling "button" rather than the time honored mandrel...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

Eye Protection!

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:55 pm 

Doc Sharptail wrote:
Lakefield 146-B, if that's the original birch stock under the refinishing.

I grew up with one, in a peep sighted/walnut/tube magazine version. Mossberg pioneered what is now known as "micro-groove" rifling. It was called "Ackro-groove" by Mossberg, and very accurate. Not bad for a process that utilized a rifling "button" rather than the time honored mandrel...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

Nope, it's a Mossberg 640KC "Chuckster" w/AC-KRO-GRUV. And the stock is Walnut.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:00 am 

I was very close on the gun. Nothing beats handling in person. And I did "nail" the rifling, from very long term memory :mrgreen:

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

Eye Protection!