Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Re: Moly grease
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:46 pm 

So graphite does NOT gum up actions & triggers ?
Either way think I'll stick to 60% moly - works well for me.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:55 pm 

SureShot wrote:

Where can I find this Balistrol that I've read about? and what exactly is it? I think it's a gun specific lubricant not a solvent or a water displacer.
I do know enough not to use harsh solvents like those used on firearms. Maybe just Goo Gone to clean the inside of airgun barrels.

I posed the question on here. Do a quick Google search. IIRC they are based in OT. It really is amazing stuff but boy, does it stink :?

I got my Honda Moly Grease off eBay for about $9.00 if memory serves.

DaveD :D

"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." ~ Theodore Roosevelt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:46 am 

GoodEnough wrote:
So graphite does NOT gum up actions & triggers ?
Either way think I'll stick to 60% moly - works well for me.

It WILL if proportions aren't taken into consideration :)

Crosman 2240

"Boredom sets into the boring mind." - James Hetfield

- Derek

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:22 am 

Balistol is a water soluable oil. The Balistol my brother was given for a test, did not prevent rust form forming on an $8,000.00 flintlock rifle over night in the tent. Rubbed off with 0000 steel wool, then wiped with WD40 - no more rust. We both threw out our Balistol. He thought it was possible the Balistol might have been contaminated, however an American gun smith we both respect the opinions of, told us that anything that is water soluable will not stop or prevent rust in high humidity as a rule. The 'oil;' will absorb moisture form the ambient air and then hold that moisture to the steel and oxidation occurs. That sounded plausible to us.
The last tube of Moly grease I bought - was at CT, I think, maybe 15 years ago - works great! A little goes a long way. Fun to try to wash out of the skin pores, cracks and fissures in your fingers, isn't it.
Acetone helps. hahahahahaha :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: I figure if women can get away using acetone weekly to remove nail polish, I can use it a few times a year if I need to clean 'something' out of my skin that nothing else seems to work on. I seem to recall that mineral spirits also worked, as well as varsol but can't remember how well.

Last edited by Daryl on Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:28 am 

Daryl wrote:
Balistol is a water soluable oil. The Balistol my brother was given for a test, did not prevent rust form forming on an $8,000.00 flintlock rifle over night in the tent. Rubbed off with 0000 steel wool, then wiped with WD40 - no more rust. We both threw out our Balistol. He thought it was possible the Balistol might have been contaminated, however an American gun smith we both respect the opinions of, told us that anything that is water soluable will not stop or prevent rust in high humidity as a rule. The 'oil;' will absorb moisture form the ambient air and then hold that moisture to the steel and oxidation occurs. That sounded plausible to us.
The last tube of Moly grease I bought - was at CT, I think, maybe 15 years ago - works great! A little goes a long way. Fun to try to wash out of the skin pores, cracks and fissures in your fingers, isn't it.

Ha! If I know I'm going to be working with the stuff I quarantine a work area, clean when I enter clean when I leave. When I first used the moly, my kitchen was my workshop, I'm still finding finger prints :)

Crosman 2240

"Boredom sets into the boring mind." - James Hetfield

- Derek

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:46 am 
Site sponsor and moderator

blade57 wrote:
SureShot wrote:

Where can I find this Balistrol that I've read about? and what exactly is it? I think it's a gun specific lubricant not a solvent or a water displacer.
I do know enough not to use harsh solvents like those used on firearms. Maybe just Goo Gone to clean the inside of airgun barrels.

IIRC they are based in OT. It really is amazing stuff but boy, does it stink :?

I got my Honda Moly Grease off eBay for about $9.00 if memory serves.

Stinky?? :? I love the smell of Ballistrol. Doubles up as a great deodorant. :lol: :wink: Info on Ballistrol that I find through my own Personal experience, to do an Excellent job, on all my firearms and Airguns. 8)

post359489.html?hilit=Ballistol#p359489

Like you I also bought a couple tubes off Ebay a few years ago for $9 bucks. Price has gone up to $12 for 3 oz tube which is a lot of paste, and should last a life time for the average gun owner.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Pro-Hon ... 34&vxp=mtr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:46 am 

Daryl wrote:
Acetone helps. hahahahahaha :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: I figure if women can get away using acetone weekly to remove nail polish, I can use it a few times a year if I need to clean 'something' out of my skin that nothing else seems to work on.

I accidentally poured acetone over my hand this weekend (lousy can might have been designed to not be able to pour accurately). When I was young I worked as a tech in a chemistry lab and never worried much about getting chemicals on skin. Small acid burns were a regular occurrence (stupidity of youth). But somewhere over the last few years I seem to have developed quite a sensitivity to some chemicals, with swelling of fingers and thickened red itchy skin. So now I try and remember to use disposable gloves but somehow forgot to put them on before pouring out the supplies - doh! I'm never quite sure which chemicals set me off, so I'm hoping acetone isn't one of them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:48 am 

EverHopeful wrote:
Who knew there could be so much controversy over a tube of grease. Sorry paste. But then again this is dangerously close to the whole knotty topic of air gun lube. Nobody mention the pellgunoil!!

How much was the Honda moly?

I'm pretty sure I paid $9.00 for mine on eBay and it came from a US seller. :D

I used to use G96 on all of my powder burners as a general lube and exterior "preservative". I exclusively use Ballistol now as not only is it an excellent all around product there is nothing in it that will attack airgun seals like the G96 will.

"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." ~ Theodore Roosevelt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:10 pm 

EverHopeful wrote:
Who knew there could be so much controversy over a tube of grease. Sorry paste. But then again this is dangerously close to the whole knotty topic of air gun lube. Nobody mention the pellgunoil!!

How much was the Honda moly?

Hey, i'm curious if this pellgunoil good for spring break barrels? Manual says RMcoil, will the pellgunoil work the same? If not I've read 20w motor oil is that right? thx mang

"When Obi-wan talked about the darkside of the force who knew he was referring to windows...?"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:56 am 

I don't know why I didn't recognize the name before.
This week while performing routine maintenance on a CT scanner (it's my career, diagnostic imaging systems maintenance) I happened to notice I had a tube of this in my hand.
Attachment:
G n Metal Paste.JPG
G n Metal Paste.JPG [ 140.61 KiB | Viewed 283 times ]

Low and behold I've had the damn moly grease in my toolbox all along.
It is messy to work with, impossible to get out of clothing, not smelly and I find not as slippery as graphite lubricants.
I don't think I'll be using it within the tubes of my springers or NP airguns but maybe on the slide mechanisms of my CO2 powered blowback models.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:27 am 

I found an unopened can of loctite moly 50 @ a garage sale for $ 5, which is a smokin deal from what ive seen after looking it up at the industrial supplier, I think the msds said it can be between 30-60 % moly,its worth a try, price was definately right
T-RAV