Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Trigger Polishing
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:33 pm 

I've read a lot of posts about various airguns and the polishing of their triggers. Exactly what airguns benefit the most from trigger polishing?
I have a 1377 and a 2240, I expect that they could use work. Is it the trigger sear that is polished?
I seem to remember reading that you can buy an adjustable trigger for the 2240.
Heck, the 2240 has unlimited number of mods doesn't?

Post subject: Re: Trigger Polishing
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:37 pm 

Okay, I found some info just by Googling 2240 trigger polishing;
http://www.americanairgunhunter.com/crosman7.html

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:12 pm 

It decreases friction (or inconsistent friction) making the trigger pull lighter and more crisp and predictable.

Yes, the 22xx 13xx platform has many mods, but some of them are not worth the cost/effort

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:25 pm 

I can do them if you are interested in shipping them to me!! Ask Edmonton<500 how good his trigger is on a 2240 I just built for him.

Getting the contact surfaces polished to a mirror. Important! Getting contact surfaces square to each other. Important!! Changing out to a lighter spring. Also installing a guide for the sear spring!

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:50 am 

I think I'll begin with ordering a longer barrel, perhaps a .177 and a .22 then dismantle my 1377 & 2240 to examine the condition of the stock triggers. I'm expecting them to be made from stamped steel and not been polished at all.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:15 am 

It depends on how bad the manufacturer made the sear surfaces.
If it is simply stamped out of steel and not finished, there will be many burrs and rough surface on the load bearing surface.
If the mating part on the hammer is similarly poorly made, the rough surfaces will catch and hold on to each other, and the trigger will appear to be stuck.
This will decrease your accuracy, as you will end up paying attention to the rough gritty trigger, rather than paying attention to the target and sight picture.

The first part of polishing is to deburr and smoothen the load bearing surfaces, so nothing catches.
The final part is to "polish" the load bearing surfaces so the sear slides smoothly.

You have to use a hard flat tool to do this. Either progressively fine honing/sharpening stone or sandpaper on a flat tool. For sandpaper, start with #1000 and go finer. And work SLOWLY, once you remove metal, you can't put it back. Do NOT use a Dremel buffing/polishing wheel. You have no control over keeping the bearing surface FLAT, and can easily create a wavy surface. As rrdstarr said, keep the contact surfaces square to each other. Do not change the angles of the load bearing surfaces or the shape of the edge of the sear, where it releases.

But it is not only the load bearing surfaces.
You have to look at all the surfaces that the trigger mechanism slides against.
The sides of the sear and trigger (one side of a stamped part usually has burrs sticking out), the inside of the frame where the parts slide against, shafts that the trigger and sear pivot on, the inside of the hole in the sear, etc. All should be smoothened out as much as possible to remove manufacturing flaws, so all the parts of the trigger moves smoothly.

Shortening the sear as shown in the link has to be done with EXTREME care. You need to leave enough material to safely and securely hold the hammer. Leave too little and the hammer could slip off the sear when the gun is bumped. Take off too much and the sear will not hold the hammer. If you decide to do this, order a few spare sears from Crosman, in case you need to replace a mistake.