Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:51 pm 

Hi guys was shooting my classic 22 hadn't shot it in a while and after some plinking I decided I just don't like the long trigger pull its throwing my accuracy off and for those who own the classic 22 you may feel the same way but I'm not sure because everyone has there preference. I see people buying GTX Gen II Trigger for Benjamin Classic 22 I think there's also the Charlie Da Tuna trigger upgrade kit. Well here is what I did and it will work as good as the upgraded triggers mentioned and it cost me nothing and very simple mod to do.

You will need a bicycle chain link I had one from a key chain I use to use.

First remove the screws from the trigger guard and front of stock four in total.

The body will slide straight out of the stock next remove the C clip.

Now push the pin out with a small screw driver should pop out easy.

Remove the trigger

Then remove the bigger pin from the trigger

remove this part from the chain link

should fit on the pin like so

Now install it onto your trigger make sure pin is facing in this direction or it will not slide back up into the frame just reverse the pin if you make a mistake no big deal.

Then install the trigger back to the gun don't forget the c clip and then mount to body back to the stock and enjoy your new trigger.

Here are some targets from before and after the trigger mod this was at 40 feet away 5 shots semi rested didn't have anymore of my good pellets but the ones I used did the trick have to stock up on some. :roll:

before :(

after :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:21 pm 

Interesting idea-how's the trigger feel before and after? Any improvement on the break point?
I have a Tuna trigger on another rifle, and I was thinking of putting one on my classic .22. This might be a good alternative...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:01 pm 

This 'may' seem like a good idea but I suggest all use caution as it will dramatically reduce the sear engagement and therefore sear support holding back that big spring.
The two stage mod is a much safer method as you retain the maximum sear engagement until you are actually ready to fire the gun.

Personally I cannot rec'd this mod. Sorry Ace.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:45 pm 

Not a problem Walter I appreciates your feed back and concern but just to clear something up I did not remove or do anything to the spring so the pressure on the sear is the same just instead of it releasing later in the pull it is more in the front beginning of the pull with some little play still there.

People who own a classic 22 know what I'm talking about the trigger on the classic is kind of hard to predict this mod makes it much more predictable.

But if your doing this mod this is what your expecting from it to begin with and just to clear it up some more I tested it to make sure there was no misfire by hitting the back of the stock with my hand quite hard while it was at rest more then ten times no problems what so ever and the safety works still the same as well.

And everyone should know not to put your finger on the trigger unless your ready pull and fire it just saying.

Scott if you like your Tuna trigger then this is just the same minus the fee. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:16 pm 

Thanks for posting the detailed write-up. I may try it myself on my Benjamin Trail AW.
Can I use the idea on my Phantom. I think it's the same trigger.

I've seen a similar mod using custom made washers on the trigger.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:28 pm 

Your welcome.
I'm not 100% sure but I think the Phantom and Quest have the same type trigger If you do try it let me know how it works out and what you think. :wink:

I forgot to add the best part of this mod it's purely reversible if you don't like the way the trigger feels with the mod just take it apart remove the link and your back to the factory trigger no harm done to the gun.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:34 am 

I replaced the stage adjust screw with a longer machine screw in wife's gun .. easy peasy.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:58 am 

GoodEnough wrote:
I replaced the stage adjust screw with a longer machine screw in wife's gun .. easy peasy.

Just as dangerous. Not recomended IMO

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:58 pm 

Nice post! I'm going to do something like this myself, just want to make sure i'm not being unsafe. This video seems to be what you did? Pulling the Benjamin trigger.. is very long and no good for accuracy. What's the two stage mod? The suggestion to replace the two stage adjust screw with a longer machine screw, seems to be the easiest if in fact its safe to do so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etY5Q5W15kw

"When Obi-wan talked about the darkside of the force who knew he was referring to windows...?"

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:18 pm 

I actually did happen to see that vid but its not the one I got the idea from but it's the same principle but I would not put a little key chain link because there isn't enough surface to surface contact form trigger to the intermediate bar for my liking.

If you watch closely on the still shot of his trigger you can barley make out the ring on it then look at my photo and my chain link covers the whole area.

This is the vid I got the idea from but again I didn't want to use plastic like he did so I came up with the chain roller link if that's what its called.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq44a_2sNHI

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:53 am 

Everything has the potential to be DANGEROUS after all we are playing with guns, but same can be said about vehicles. No substitute for being careful.
Trigger works just fine in wife's gun & has for almost yr & a half if not more. Next you'll hear .. OMG don't touch the gun .. it is dangerous ...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:07 am 

Ace wrote:
just to clear something up I did not remove or do anything to the spring so the pressure on the sear is the same just instead of it releasing later in the pull it is more in the front beginning of the pull with some little play still there.

The issue is why the trigger now goes off sooner, the answer is because the sear is not sitting as high up as it should, less contact with the piston, meaning there is not a whole lot holding the piston from flying forward when the gun is bumped or dropped etc. The longer you use the gun with this mod, the more dangerous it is as the sear and retaining slot will wear down more and more over time, until...something slips.

You should cock/load the gun, point it in a safe direction and smack the stock with your palm a bunch of times. Hit the top the stock, the bottom, the sides, and try to make it go off on its own. This is a test I down to almost all spring guns upon reassembly.

I would not advertise it as being "just as good" as a GTX as they offer full adjustment of both stages...JMO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:12 am 

GoodEnough wrote:
Everything has the potential to be DANGEROUS after all we are playing with guns, but same can be said about vehicles. No substitute for being careful.
Trigger works just fine in wife's gun & has for almost yr & a half if not more. Next you'll hear .. OMG don't touch the gun .. it is dangerous ...

Potential for danger and compromising safety for function are two very different things, regardless of what we are talking about...

Just because something has worked doesn't make it safe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:46 am 

So trigger mods like this affect the effectiveness of the safety?
Hmmm....I think I'll be ordering the GTX Gen II Trigger.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:18 pm 

With a Cast Iron trigger, you should be putting two screws into it. There was a discussion on these types of type of mods:

post326927.html?hilit=trigger#p326927