Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:00 pm 

jgoodz420 wrote:
Ace wrote:

You should cock/load the gun, point it in a safe direction and smack the stock with your palm a bunch of times. Hit the top the stock, the bottom, the sides, and try to make it go off on its own. This is a test I down to almost all spring guns upon reassembly.

Jgoodz Im guessing you didn't read this part---above in my post.
(I tested it to make sure there was no misfire by hitting the back of the stock with my hand quite hard while it was at rest more then ten times no problems what so ever and the safety works still the same as well.)

Im not here to endanger or cause harm to anyone that's first and foremost I just thought its a cool little mod to do and I was just trying to help out. I personally think its a safe and easy mod and helps with what I was looking to get out of it. :drinkers:

If the forum moderators think its unsafe that's fine they can remove the post.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:35 pm 

Ace, had a look at a trigger last night.
I need to check deeper but at first blush your mod looks safe
All it should do is remove play in the trigger blade. The fake first stage is quite long on these for sure.
Now the screw swap can indeed make the trigger unsafe as it reduces sear engagement
For Joel, the sear to piston relationship never changes. The concern is reduced sear engagement to the point the trigger can fire itself. Factory sear edges are rounded.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:17 pm 

Thanks Walter I appreciate it I to thought and still think its a safe mod to do I did nothing to the adjustment screw or the springs so to me I believe the tension on the sear is the same. If you do look into it further and you do find something to be unsafe please do share it. Thanks again cheers. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:44 pm 

My mod with the longer screw is absolutely safe & fine AND I can still adjust weight to my preference: I stand by my mod & if anyone wants details .. ask :)
.. people should maybe actually try a mod BEFORE claiming it unsafe.

No more dangerous than installing a $30/40 third party trigger that comes with a warning to not even touch the trigger till pointed in a safe direction ... just cause someone reputable that has started a small business that makes triggers, doesn't make their mod/trigger any safer than my mod or another way to look at it .. mine is no more DANGEROUS than 3rd party trigger. Even so, many a business & many ESTABLISHED companies do product recalls for safety .. just cause you BUY something .. doesn't make it safe. Not to mention that thinking gunsmiths only ever have SAFE ideas & designs is laughable & that's all I have to say about that.
I personally encourage people to use their brains & not just give in & BUY solutions. Having said that .. OBVIOUSLY people not familiar with firearms (& intimately so - their own) shouldn't mess with them. Those that do .. do at their own risk. AND BTW just the be CLEAR I am not in any way promoting dangerous mods .. I find great info & help on this forum but I do find it strange that some people .. even "experts" if you will, just REFUSE to see the actual mod/s but are eager to shoot down an idea harping about how dangerous it is .. like they are they only people that make safe mods - a bit armchair warrior-ish. & makes visits here less enjoyable.
To the OP: compare Charlie's trigger to the stock one.. put on atop the other you will see a slight height difference. Only thing is some people get overzealous & install too big a washer & engages the sear too early. I had tried a nut that I had turned down, it fit PERFECTLY & worked VERY well, just made that fat pin a bit fatter, but I wanted to be able to adjust it so I could change weight; lighter for target shooting & heavier for hunting so I installed a slightly longer screw & then filed it to be just 3 threads longer than stock .. never been happier :)))

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:02 pm 

Peter, will take a pic of your mod as I understand it.
Would love to see a pic of your sear engagement.

Cheers
Walter....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:37 pm 

Might open things up or take pics etc. etc. when inspired to .. more fun shooting (not enough armchair time for me) moreover pics opposed to actually doing it & SHOOTING are whole different things.
specially to prove a princlple; either functionally or personal opionion is a moot point to me sp considering the people challenging the safety of this mod may not even have said gun themselves.
Had enough of this opinion related jazz. Like I said if anyone wants to know .. info is there .. get a machine screw .. file it down so it is just 2 - 4 threads longer than stock screw & OP mod is safe when done right. No egos about it...if someone doesn't feel safe doing it .. then don't do it ..!

Good day to all :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:22 pm 

Voltar1 wrote:

For Joel, the sear to piston relationship never changes. The concern is reduced sear engagement to the point the trigger can fire itself. Factory sear edges are rounded.

I have seen it change as it wears...

I realize what the concern is having worked on many of these guns over the years, having owned 4-5 of my own and repairing and/or tuning 30-40 of them for other people.

People should have a look at what they should have for sear proper engagement before deciding things are safe
Attachment:
searengagment.jpg
searengagment.jpg [ 30 KiB | Viewed 611 times ]

http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront ... adjust.pdf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:32 pm 

GoodEnough wrote:
specially to prove a princlple; either functionally or personal opionion is a moot point to me sp considering the people challenging the safety of this mod may not even have said gun themselves.

Is there someone here who hasn't owned a Phantom/Quest/Classic/B18/19 model rifle? :lol:

Considering that was either directed at me or Walter you may want to check both our history on this forum before saying things that make no sense... :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:44 am 

jgoodz420 hope you guys know I am talking about the stock screw on the stock trigger.
I'll just reserve comment on the few things that make "no sense" about this though & for heavens sake chill out man .. no one is challenging your knowledge, expertise etc. & btw using that to intimidate others or ingenius ideas that come from others is hardly suitalble on anyone. That you have fixed 'x' number of guns does not give you sole licsence to discredit the ability of others to impliment their own ideas effectively & lets not forget ... safely (specially my personal gun with my mod). Maybe you're implying I was supposed to send it you you to pass safety inspection & approve my mod ? Actually hilarious ... You'll be waiting a while.. Having a gun in past or current history also does not automatically grant it's owner privilege to deem mods done by others to be unsafe.
Longer screw instead of stock screw on stock trigger facilitates dialing back screw to regain weight/engagement that is offset by wear ... OMG!! what ? other people can think ?? LMAO
Anyone adjusting weight/pull so it only rests on the curved edges is not doing the stock screw on stock trigger mod correctly OBVIOUSLY & same goes for washer mod or the touch up & polishing mod. Must say though: there is a reason the warranty gets void when disassembly or modification is performed other than an authorized service station..means gets void with any 3rd party trigger installation as well. So there you have it, right from the makers - putting all modders on the same level.,,ie: disqualified.
People have brilliant ideas everyday, others have a hard time coping with it ... perspective can make or break. Although I think the forum is cool I think that when like minded people, get together & think like minded thoughts .. it can lead to complacency & stunted growth; at least in the sense of not having experienced opposition & thus know how to deal with it or learn from it.
My personal mod in my wife's gun works & is safe if someone wants to get into egos, posing & posturing they can do so in the mirror.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:25 am 

GoodEnough wrote:
jgoodz420 hope you guys know I am talking about the stock screw on the stock trigger. The picture is to illustrate sear engagement if you have figured out what that is yet...
I'll just reserve comment on the few things that make "no sense" about this though & for heavens sake chill out man .. You talked about this as if it was some special gun that we don't know anything about, which is just ridiculous.no one is challenging your knowledge, expertise etc. & btw using that to intimidate others or ingenius ideas that come from others is hardly suitalble on anyone. thats not a word... That you have fixed 'x' number of guns does not give you sole licsence to discredit the ability of others to impliment their own ideas effectively & lets not forget ... safely (specially my personal gun with my mod). Maybe you're implying I was supposed to send it you you to pass safety inspection & approve my mod ? Actually hilarious ... You'll be waiting a while.. GFYS bud, I want nothing to do with your POS gun, I wouldn't touch a gun that has been compromised by a backyard hackjob, simply because someone figured out how to read thread pitch gauges Having a gun in past or current history also does not automatically grant it's owner privilege to deem mods done by others to be unsafe. Yes, experience working with and on a specific gun does not give you knowledge of said gun... :roll:

People have brilliant ideas everyday, Thats cute, you think that was brilliant, you should probably check the definition of brilliant :lol: others have a hard time coping with it ... perspective can make or break. Although I think the forum is cool I think that when like minded people, get together & think like minded thoughts .. it can lead to complacency & stunted growth; at least in the sense of not having experienced opposition & thus know how to deal with it or learn from it.
My personal mod in my wife's gun works & is safe if someone wants to get into egos, posing & posturing they can do so in the mirror. So by your logic "Having a gun in past or current history also does automatically grant it's owner privilege to deem mods as being safe".
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Telling you that I have experience with this gun is trying to intimidate you? OK (in what world?), ill make sure to never to offer any help/advice/experience to you again, my bad...

Do whatever you want, I really couldn't care less than I already do right now...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:30 am 

Please refrain from derailing the thread thanks. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:48 am 

Hey Ace, maybe I missed it, but what would the OD of the roller link be? I know the ID is 5mm and the width is likely 3mm. The reason I ask is, the clutch bearing on an nitro rc is 8mm OD with an ID of 5mm. I had done this mod a while back, not with the bearing, but with a sleeve similar to your chain link roller. If a roller bearing is used it would greatly reduce the rolling friction on the trigger to mid link engagement.

Note: I have not done any testing with the roller bearing being used, please do not attempt this until it is found safe to do so. This is intended as an idea to be discussed.

Crosman 2240

"Boredom sets into the boring mind." - James Hetfield

- Derek

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:08 pm 

Hi Derek sorry my apology's that would be an important part of the mod :roll: my bad for not posting it and thanks Derek for asking because any more OD would make it very,very sensitive probably to the point It could "maybe" misfire.

Sorry I don't have a digital caliper have to get me one so here you go Derek. ID and OD

ID

OD

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:33 pm 

Sorry for the late reply, thanks Ace.

Crosman 2240

"Boredom sets into the boring mind." - James Hetfield

- Derek

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:29 pm 

Hi Ace, did the link mod today and now when I cock the gun it does not catch? I obviously didn't get it back together properly, any idea of what might cause this? don't think its the link but it could be? its the same size as your link that you used. I'm still new to the whole modding (air guns) thing so any help would be greatly appreciated.

edit: so I'm pretty sure the problem is I disassembled the safety by accident doh! :oops: As a result I'm unsure how the safety spring goes. Ive tried a couple different ways and it's not lookin rite. :( Help the noob out.. thank you

"When Obi-wan talked about the darkside of the force who knew he was referring to windows...?"