Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Lube A Lot?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:29 pm 

I read this forum quite often but I don't post a heck of a lot but I notice something often. So many people are lubing so many air rifles. Sometimes I wonder about this. I see a lot of people fixating on FPS and FPE, disassembling, lubing, reassembling. Cleaning out lube, using different lubes etc. Retesting FPS, relubing and so on.

I'm really not sure about anyone else but I don't really understand this, yes lube is important but so are so many other things. If you want tons of fps and fpe why not just buy a magnum powered airgun, or just go to a powder burner?

I think a lot of times people damage seals also disassembling and reassembling, while I understand lube is important and it's fun to take things apart I think it can do more damage than good sometimes. My CZ630 I disassembled after 20 years and gave her some lube. My phantom I also put some lube in when it was new, my diana 34 I just basically left it the way it came from the factory. I've never measured the fps but I've taken so many rabbits with my 34, probably near to a hundred since I got it. My cz630 has taken more pest birds than I could count. I have an idea of the fps on both but I don't know for sure. While it would be interesting to chrony them it really doesn't matter to me. What's more important is how I shoot them. You can lube and tune and do whatever you like to your diana 34 but I can shoot mine well and I know it's limitations, it's very effective for what I do with it. So I guess my point is I think lube is important but becoming familiar with your gun and shooting it often, knowing it like an old fried is really what makes a gun a fine shooter. Anyone who has shot for many years knows that feeling of picking up an old friend, you know the feeling of that gun in your hands, you could clean it, load it, fire it with your eyes closed. All the lube tunes in the world can't make up for that kind of intimate knowledge.

I'm not trying to put anyone down really, I just hate to see people damage something they like because they're trying to squeeze out a few more fps. Heck, growing up I never knew if I had a heavy trigger pull, or if the gun was not "smooth" or twangy. I just shot it until I learned how, then I shot it another 50,000 times.

Just my opinion,

Matt

Post subject: Re: Lube A Lot?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:36 pm 

Mattsse wrote:
I read this forum quite often but I don't post a heck of a lot but I notice something often. So many people are lubing so many air rifles. Sometimes I wonder about this. I see a lot of people fixating on FPS and FPE, disassembling, lubing, reassembling. Cleaning out lube, using different lubes etc. Retesting FPS, relubing and so on.

I'm really not sure about anyone else but I don't really understand this, yes lube is important but so are so many other things. If you want tons of fps and fpe why not just buy a magnum powered airgun, or just go to a powder burner?

I think a lot of times people damage seals also disassembling and reassembling, while I understand lube is important and it's fun to take things apart I think it can do more damage than good sometimes. My CZ630 I disassembled after 20 years and gave her some lube. My phantom I also put some lube in when it was new, my diana 34 I just basically left it the way it came from the factory. I've never measured the fps but I've taken so many rabbits with my 34, probably near to a hundred since I got it. My cz630 has taken more pest birds than I could count. I have an idea of the fps on both but I don't know for sure. While it would be interesting to chrony them it really doesn't matter to me. What's more important is how I shoot them. You can lube and tune and do whatever you like to your diana 34 but I can shoot mine well and I know it's limitations, it's very effective for what I do with it. So I guess my point is I think lube is important but becoming familiar with your gun and shooting it often, knowing it like an old fried is really what makes a gun a fine shooter. Anyone who has shot for many years knows that feeling of picking up an old friend, you know the feeling of that gun in your hands, you could clean it, load it, fire it with your eyes closed. All the lube tunes in the world can't make up for that kind of intimate knowledge.

I'm not trying to put anyone down really, I just hate to see people damage something they like because they're trying to squeeze out a few more fps. Heck, growing up I never knew if I had a heavy trigger pull, or if the gun was not "smooth" or twangy. I just shot it until I learned how, then I shot it another 50,000 times.

Just my opinion,

Matt

Agree 100 %

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:19 pm 

X2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:59 pm 

I agree with your statement as well!

The answer is simply because they can and will!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:58 pm 

I'm not sure of the purpose of this post but maybe its because of this one. :roll:

topic55691.html

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:24 pm 

Ace wrote:
I'm not sure of the purpose of this post but maybe its because of this one. :roll:

topic55691.html

Not sure if it has any thing to do with that post but i all ways hear of people over lubing there guns i think it confusing to a lot of people starting out in spring guns there a lot of bad info on the net

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:05 pm 

I totally understand the if it ain't broke don't fix it philosophy but I just don't get the purpose of the post Brent or maybe I just had one to many :drinkers: tonight :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:53 am 

There are those that are mechanically inclined and tinker.... Then there are those who tinker with the wrong uderstanding. Maybe not the right mechanical knowledge or just watch too much U-Tube. The list goes on.

And yes to pick up an ol friend and shoot it like you have 10 thousand times before. The pure satisfaction of where you aimed it, and its there. Priceless.

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:57 am 

I agree with Kim - many are inclined to attempt to improve their guns. Many aren't. Same goes in powder burners.

If there was not a drive to improve firearms, competition levels and the arms used would not be where they are today. For many of us, the first thing we do with a new rifle (PB) is to take it apart to check the bedding and 'fix' it as it is always wrong or simply not done yet. Was there ever a gun that didn't need it? - yes- once or twice out of dozens and dozens.

Then, there are those who buy a new rifle, take it to a range and put 2 boxes through it without even looking down the tube first. The rest of the people fit in between. I see no reason why air guns would or should be any different - some shooters want to 'improve' them, others are happy with just the way they are.

Variety is the spice of life - apparently.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:13 am 

I can't imagine not taking a new spring powered rifle apart to clean and relube, it has nothing to do with more power.
No matter who manufactures airguns these days there can be some with metal shavings or packing grease, too much oil and damaged seals etc. from sloppy factory assembly. It would be nice if a person could always be sure about how their rifle was assembled but when in doubt I go for peace of mind. I don't believe that many people damage their guns when performing basic lube tuning. If it makes the action more efficient or smoother and that means it increases the fps then it is what it is. JMO