Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Re-Bluing A Discovery
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:06 pm 

So as most Benjamin Discovery owners know, the bluing on a disco is not the best to say the least. I've been thinking about re-blueing mine ever since I got it and was wondering
if there was any one who has done this before who could give me some advice? I was hoping to cold blue my gun.

I want to go for that "Air Arms" look if that is at all possible; very deep mirror-like finish. I know the steel is quite rough on a Disco tube and barrel, would this have to be sanded/polished
down or does the cold blue naturally make everything look smooth. What is the best way to go about poishing the steel if it needs to be done?

The big question... Where to get cold blue in Canada? Oxpho-blue, Perma Blue?

Thanks,

O.A

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:17 pm 

Forget cold blue.

My understanding of bluing is you polish the metal to the lustre you desire then the bluing just changes the color.

Check with Gippetto as he has some awesome rust blue results. Deep and rich!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:22 pm 

If you want a polished finish, you have to start with a polished barrel and tube.... The bluing is only changing the surface layer from steel to an oxide that is bluish black in colour.... ie it is "rusting" it in a controlled way.... The thickness is only a fraction of a thou thick, so ANY mark on the tube will still show after the bluing is completed.... A scratch will still be a scratch, it will just be a darker coloured scratch....

I use a cold bluing solution called "Van's Blue" which I purchase on the Internet.... I apply it with a white (1500 grit) scotchbrite pad which helps to get rid of any blotchyness.... It's decent, and protects the metal, but it's not "stellar".... On the other hand, I usually finish my barrel/parts with a 600 grit finish, rather than polish it anyway....

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:42 am 

Thanks Walter. :)

Bob is correct...the finish you have on the bare, clean steel is what you'll end up with once blued....no bluing process I'm aware of will correct surface imperfections.

Wet/dry sand paper is the ticket for smoothing the surface. Sand the length of the part...at least with the final grit.

If you want a durable BLUE finish, visit a gunsmith and see what they can do for you...you're not going to get a "blue" with rust bluing because rust bluing is BLACK. :wink:

Rust blue is more durable than cold blue....easily as durable as a hot tanked blue. Any doubts, just rub your cold blued steel with 0000 steel wool and I'll do the same to a rust blued part...see who gets through the finish first. :lol:

I rust blue at home in my kitchen with minimal equipment. It takes more time and elbow grease than cold blue, but the results are well worth it IMO.

Al

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:03 am 

Now aint dat purty......One heck of a good lookin pistola there Al........ :D

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:59 am 

Is that a custom Main tube on the pistol, Al? It looks to long for a 2250?

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:22 am 

Thanks Kim...could not have done it without your parts, ammo, advice...and nudge. :)

Rick, only Crosman parts are the grip frame and trigger bits. Tube is 1"od..."custom" for sure. :)

.310 round ball @ 480fps, 6 shots/fill.

Al

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:34 pm 

Gippeto, that is one classy looking pistol you have there!

From what I understand I would have to sand of the old bluing, polish the metal to the lustre I like and then apply the cold blue. The richness of the bluing depends on how many "coats" of it I apply

From looking around on the internet I have seen some very nice results with cold bluing...

O.A

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:16 pm 

Pretty much. Shine the metal to where you want it, then follow the directions that come with the cold blue.

I've had cold blue turn out really nice, I've just never had it stay that way. Will wish you good luck with it though. :)

Al