Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: An 11yr old Nemises
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:11 am 

Well how does one explain this. Or an Introduction to an ol friend.

Well while experimenting with flows of a bulk charged Co2. And its influx into the valve thru different ports sizes as well. I kept changing the different dynamics of the valve stems. Well inadvertently I had the drill rod break the back of the nylon seal material and drive thru the sealing head. So here I was with a fully charged tube of 2.5 oz of liquid Co2. Now how can one depressurize the main tube, in a safe and controlled manner? Well off and on I would tackle the problem and then weight out the fact that 1) not to destroy any part of the gun. 2) do this in the most controlled manner. Well over and over I would asses the idea. Usually chicken out on some of the ideas, because just no guarantees and risk level a bit too high. So maybe wait for the seals to deteriorate down. Now seals are constructed of Nitrile, durometer 80, quad configuration.

Off and on over the years I would test the gun by seeing if I could turn the bulk adapter locking ring. With no pressure against the bulk adapter it would thread off with ease. With pressure no movement. Solid like a rock you would say. I would quiz Walter/ Voltar as to different ideas as to depressurize the gun. At least once or twice a year it would come up in conversation.

Well the last time Walter had been by for a visit we discussed the gun once again. Now this gun had its own place upon my work bench top right hand corner of my back peg board. It is one of those guns that anyone that stopped for a visit or work to be done, just wanted to try. Great conversation piece in the least

Walter came up with the idea that we use his tail stock upon his big lathe to hold pressure upon the the valve body, remove the holding screw and back the valve out with the tail stock until the seal came into contact with the tp hole or the hold down hole it could be vented off in a controlled manor. Did a little math and you know it put a safety margin in a more realistic point of view. So a plan was made upon the next time I came out for a visit to do just that. Monday night as I tore the balance of the gun down to take with me. Staring at it and thinking. Ok if we need the big lathe with the holding pressure of over 2000# to hold a 3/4' valve in place. My tail stock upon my small lathe do the same upon the drill rod from the stem. It's only .125 in dia. Guess what I grew a set and gave her a try. If the push stock I was using was gonna bend and not push, abandon the idea and use the big lathe for the job. Well as I pushed the drill stock in and then re leave pushing force at .100 at a time. There became a slight audible hiss. ye haw. Sat back and let her vent.

Now I wouldn't suggest as to anyone doing this with out really really thinking this thru. If at all that they found themselves in the same situation.

So here's a few pics. And an introduction of an ol friend of mine that hasn't had the taste of lead in a long long time. When the weather smartens up I will get some #s for you all. Cause I'm sure there is a few of you that would like to know.

Enjoy

ImageImage

[b]A what I call Crosman SSP250 Hybrid[/b]

Whitewolf

Post subject: Re: An 11yr old Nemises
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:26 am 

Does that deserve a "woo hoo"?...yes...that deserves a "woo hoo"...

WOO HOO! :)

Al

Post subject: Re: An 11yr old Nemises
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:46 am 

I wondered why that gun was always sitting there but I never asked. Now I know the rest of the story.