Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Re: vans blue solution
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:53 pm 

SMP wrote:
A bolt with three turns of oxpho

Thanks for the input fella's. tried the vans rust blue again as per the instructions. I neutralised in oil, but its no good.

Sean..........great results with the oxpho. I think I will try that next. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:12 pm 

I'm impressed with that cold blue. I've never seen it before - although I've seen Brownell's advertise it.
If it is indeed more durable than Birchwood Casey's paste then it's worth looking into. Your bolt's finish is about the same as what I get with the Casey's bluing - longevity would be the clincher.

Sean - are you comparing the Oxpho with the caustic salts hot bath bluing in a tank or some other hot method?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:57 pm 

X2 on the Oxpho...awesome stuff!

Sean used it on the end cap/RVA he made for my AR2078 as well as the barrel for my 1750 PCP - turned out beautiful. Really easy to use, VERY durable, and after a bit of buffing once done it looks almost like "black chrome" :drool:

Only downside is you will need a contact in the U.S to ship it up here as Brownell's won't... :hsmash

Cheers,
Todd

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:11 pm 

Daryl wrote:
I'm impressed with that cold blue. I've never seen it before - although I've seen Brownell's advertise it.
If it is indeed more durable than Birchwood Casey's paste then it's worth looking into. Your bolt's finish is about the same as what I get with the Casey's bluing - longevity would be the clincher.

Sean - are you comparing the Oxpho with the caustic salts hot bath bluing in a tank or some other hot method?

Yes hot salts bluing in tanks. Brownell claims that oxpho is more durable and I did my own testing and that is what I found as well.

I blue thousands of parts a year. I prefer classic rust blue but you just can't offer this level on production parts that are batched at a hundred pieces at a time. I need a bluing that has excellent colour and durability or stuff comes back, it has to be consistent or it wastes my time, and not having to maintain a separate shop for tanks full of caustics is a bonus.

Besides it has been long enough since caustic salts bluing was introduced that people have all but forgotten that it's the poor cousin of the bluing family. It was a means to colour volumes of pieces in the most economical way.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:26 pm 

Thanks Sean - that spells it out completely. I'll have to have a couple friends send me some. Was wondering, will Brownell's send it to a Canadian FFL holder Gun Smith with an import license - or is it a chemical problem?

Post subject: vans blue solution
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:04 am 

It's a chemical problem. According to the conversation I had with Brownells the DOT came down on them for selling ORM-D classified materials to people out of country based on origin of payment.
ORM-D is other regulated materials category D and they have applied that to almost every liquid and chemical going. It's made getting supplies a real pain because there really is no other full service gun smith suppliers in North America and absolutely none in Canada.

Other guys are using their license to order in 50L pails of the base chemicals and mixing their own stuff..... No thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:16 am 

Does anyone have a source for Sodium Nitrate? PM me.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:24 am 

I use a very tiny amount of sodium nitrate in the quench water when colour case hardening....you cant buy it anymore. Anywhere Anyhow. I just happen to be lucky enough to have a small jar of the stuff left from the days when every drug store sold Salt Peter

If you search YouTube with your keyword there are some good instructions for making tiny quantities. You'll need table salt and cold packs

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:24 pm 

SMP wrote:
Daryl wrote:

Yes hot salts bluing in tanks. Brownell claims that oxpho is more durable and I did my own testing and that is what I found as well.

I blue thousands of parts a year. I prefer classic rust blue but you just can't offer this level on production parts that are batched at a hundred pieces at a time. I need a bluing that has excellent colour and durability or stuff comes back, it has to be consistent or it wastes my time, and not having to maintain a separate shop for tanks full of caustics is a bonus.

Besides it has been long enough since caustic salts bluing was introduced that people have all but forgotten that it's the poor cousin of the bluing family. It was a means to colour volumes of pieces in the most economical way.

Thanks Sean.
I was about to go down the hot blue route. Buying a tank, burner and the neseccary chemicals.

I have decided to give the oxpho a try form brownells. 2 x 4 oz bottles on the way.

Any tips for application please bud?