Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:05 pm 

Hey guys, need some help installing my flattop. I have two 1377's, one pistol and the other I made into a carbine. I have tried this flaptop kit in both and the same thing has happened in both.

Got a brand new 1377 and picked up a flattop valve and adjustable piston from scopes&ammo.

I cannot get the thing to stop leaking air past/through(not sure which) the valve. I have tore it down multiple times now after thinking I stopped the leak, but it starts again. :hsmash

Was working great, after 4-5 shots. Held air on first pump.

Describe the Problems:

-Cock the gun and pump slowly, leaks

-Cock the gun, pump fast 5-6 times then it starts to hold air after the 5th-6th pump (this only works sometimes)

-Don't cock the gun, doesn't hold air at all.

I have taken apart the FT kit over and over cleaning it spotless each time.

Not sure what to do from here. Should I buy a new FT kit and forget about the current one?

I got fed up with it and just put the stock valve and piston back in.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:29 pm 

It works with the stock pistob and valve, correct?

My best guess would be that you're forgetting the o-ring that goes in between the 2 valve parts. It is probably with the stock front part of the valve. Take the o-ring from that and use it on the ftp front valve.

Another problem could be the o-ring on the font ftp valve. It might be nicked.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:33 pm 

Uncocked it leaks- ie: won't hold air at all - this sounds as if the hammer is pushing on the valve & will not let it close? Is this possible in this 1377 handgun?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:02 pm 

The o-ring in between the 2 valve halves is there. I have cleaned the inside of the valve every time I have taken it apart.
I had tried different o-rings from the stock valve back and forth a couple times. Still leaks the same.

As for the hammer, when I have it cocked(not touching) the valve stem it will sometimes still leak by the valve some how.

The piston works good no leaking. It really just seesm to be the valve. It has no scratches other than the turning markers when it was made.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:25 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Uncocked it leaks- ie: won't hold air at all - this sounds as if the hammer is pushing on the valve & will not let it close? Is this possible in this 1377 handgun?

Yes, I had that happen when I replaced the valve stem spring with a weaker one. After that, the hammer has to be cocked before pumping.

You're correct about the valve stem problem. It might be a problem with the valve stem not sealing OR the valve stem spring is missing. This is mostly likely the case if it still leaks with the stock valve/piston replaced. Check if the stem spring is still there (inside the valve)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:02 pm 

Yes it is..I have taken it apart and cleaned it many times to find what the problem is.

It is the supplied stock spring that came with the FT kit from scopes&ammo.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:26 pm 

kyleb88 wrote:
Yes it is..I have taken it apart and cleaned it many times to find what the problem is.

It is the supplied stock spring that came with the FT kit from scopes&ammo.

Is the stem spring from the FTP weaker? why not try using the original stem spring?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:02 am 

It's likely the little Delrin check at the front. Doing repairs if anything is going to cause a problem it will be this.

Try this
1) pop out the Delrin check and put a drop of oil on the seat. Put the check back in and use the eraser end of a pencil to push and turn the Delrin on its seat to polish in the seat. When your happy pop the Delrin out and look at it under a magnifying glass. There should be a shiny line all the way around where the seat is. If your happy pop the Delrin back in with the spring. Put light finger pressure on the spring and use your mouth to draw vacuum on the valve. If you feel any loss of vacuum it's no good.

2) try the check out of the original valve. Often this will fix the issue.

3) if 1 and 2 fail... Call Eric

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:37 pm 

Thanks SMP. I will take a look again at the inside of the valve.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:25 pm 

Maybe pictures will help? I don't think I am missing an parts.

Video of leak
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/LUigdg7ZYuEhPwp-yQnYCAHyWeTtNBj6GYeTgmGsOvk?feat=directlink

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:13 pm 

It doesn't look like you're missing anything. It's most likely the oring that connects the 2 valve parts or the stem seal that needs to be replaced. Check the metal area where the stem seal makes contact. There could be debris or the surface may be too rough for a seal.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:17 pm 

Well I've done everything in my power to try and fix this. Toothpaste and a drill to polish the stem to the valve base. I guess I will be buying a new one. Thanks for the help and suggestions.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:48 pm 

If it's the valve stem spring that's the problem, would it not still work fine if the gun is cocked before you pump it?